UT and Nvidia Geforce 8500gt

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[did]madis

Apr 22, 2008
I have a problem with my pc when playing UT, U2 and UT3.

It seems that when I play for a little while/play another game before UT/a random program or UT crashes, I start having weird problems in UT and U2 (and UT3 wont start up at all).

The problem is, when I encounter it, in the mouse movement. Whenever I move my mouse to aim a weapon, it just hops around on screen, for example, if I aim it slightly to the left, it jumps over stuff and goes greatly to the left instead. And it's not a framerate issue, the fps stays at a constant high. also, edges of objects get jumpy too when I move around, and moving clouds tend to jump backwards every now and then. This problem happens constantly when I play U2, sometimes when I play UT (especially if ut or something in background crashes or I play some other games beforehand). Only way to fix is reboot.

It cannot be a renderer issue since I've tried them all. All I can think of is incompatibility with the gfx card, though it runs smooth and nice just after a reboot. I've turned to nvidia, but they're a bunch of useless sobs, so I hope to find help here.

(Please post if you have any knowledge of the issue or experience/dont experience the same bug and happen to have the same gfx card.)

Thank you in advance!

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
UE1 is really, really dumb about having Framerates over 200. If everything speeds up when you run toward a wall, this is what you're experiencing.

What renderer are you using? If it's Chris Dohnal's enhanced renderers, there's an option in the INIs (or advanced options if you're inclined to do it that way) for FramerateLimit. Set that to 200 and it should go away.

Make sure power management is disabled, too. It really ****s with the game.

Finally, if you're on a multicore system, try setting the game to run on only one of the cores. The option should be somewhere in Task Manager... assuming you're using Windows. If you're not... find out how to do it for your OS.

Last edited:

[did]madis

Apr 22, 2008
I'm playing UT over Windows XP. I have a dualcore sys. I use D3D8 renderer (also have the new opengl, but use the new directx one. Yeah, sometimes I get framerates above 1000.

Alright, where do I do that power management thing?

And it really would help me if you tell me where I can force UT to be run on only one core.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Disable one core: launch UT, Alt+Tab to desktop, open Task Manager (Ctrl + Shift + Esc), find UnrealTournament.exe, right-click, choose Affinity, untick a core.
Power Management - go to Contol Panel, Power Options. If it's set on Home/Office Desktop (or something like that) then that's OK.
Better use OpenGL, but D3D can use the framerate limit as well, I think. Open UnrealTournament.ini, find the renderer ([D3DRender.D3DRenderDevice] or something similar), under it find Frameratelimit= and change the value to 200, or just create a new line Frameratelimit=200.

MamiyaOtaru

Postmaster Corporal
Nov 21, 2000
Wyoming
Huh. A framerate limiter is pretty handy. I'd been getting around the speed issues by turning on vsync in the nvidia control panel. Same effect, but it affects other games too. Nice to have a UT specific fix.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Huh. A framerate limiter is pretty handy. I'd been getting around the speed issues by turning on vsync in the nvidia control panel. Same effect, but it affects other games too. Nice to have a UT specific fix.

Why don't you just go under NVidia Control Panel and make it apply VSync to UT's particular executable (.exe) file? It's easier that way, and it won't affect other games on a global basis.

[did]madis

Apr 22, 2008
Well, at the moment, disabling other cores when I run ut and certain other games have fixed alot of speed-related issues. however, the framerate limit line in the unrealtournament ini file doesnt seem to do anything with d3d8.

But I'm happy, as I can finally play my SLV decently, no matter I have to disable the cores every time I launch it :D, maybe I need to find a more comfortable way, though :D