ONS-Maelstrom: Onslaught reborn

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[C]HùñtêR|PuF

Feb 1, 2000
Visit site
Name:
Maelstrom

Version:

Compatibility:
UT2004 + ECE Bonus Pak

System Requirements:
Polys very low on average (normally about 70,000)
Map is CPU intensive, however. CPU will be the bottleneck for FPS on this map - a computer with a strong CPU and a mediocre GPU will have very nice framerate. A computer with a weak cpu, even with a very fast GPU will have trouble.

Description:
Onslaught, reborn. Maelstrom features 23 intermediate nodes between the two cores. Each node constructs twice as fast as normal nodes, but are destroyed twice as fast as well. This change, coupled with the amount of nodes results in massive alterations to gameplay mechanics. ONS-Maelstrom is like no other map made - it is a new kind of Onslaught.

Screenshots:
maelstromlayout5rt.jpg

screen33vr.jpg

screen11pw.jpg

screen22lm.jpg

screen40gd.jpg

Vehicle Loadout:
Cores:
12 vehicles, 2 turrets
2 scorpion
2 paladin
2 hellbender
2 manta
1 goliath
3 raptor
2 turret

Middle:
18 vehicles, 2 turrets
6 scorpion
4 paladin
4 bender
4 manta
0 goliath
0 raptor
2 turret

Total:
42 vehicles, 6 turrets
10 scorpion
8 paladin
8 bender
8 manta
2 goliath
6 raptor
6 turret

Credits:
Shambler - C0d3 H4x0R
Without him, this map would not be possible. Shambler scripted the variable-health powernodes, as well as enemy vehicle-telefragging teleporters.

Robin O'Connell - Photographer
Provided the photograph from which this level's skybox was created. View other photographs at her photo blog:
http://www.treknature.com/members/roconnell/photos/

Everyone at Titan Internet for their ongoing beta-testing.
Without them, this map would not be possible.
http://ut2004.titaninternet.co.uk/vbb/.
This includes but is not limited to:

Fusion, Fluffy, Carth, Dr.Maniacal, Piglet, A_Spec, Shambler, Rentapest, Paulo, MoonUnit, Zofo, Jezza101, djsilt, KurlonT, ExJ, aethling, rhiridflaidd, Dundral, K0mbatan, fishfingers, CleanerWolf, moose666, KoperniK, Barrel, Keith_C

Download:
Unreal Playground (registry required)
MapRaider
France Mirror
Nali City

Last edited by a moderator:

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
Played this on Titan's 32-player server. It's an extremely weird node setup, but there is plenty of action and it's a huge laugh to play :D

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
I played it there as well. Somehow, I managed to claim the highest score with only a handfull of frags :p

very original :tup:

Can't recall seeing that skybox before, though. Is it added in one of the later betas?
(it looks awesome, btw)

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Really nice map. Love everything about how it looks and the build is great. Gorgeous skybox :D

Gameplay was good... I'll have to check it out online against humans but the bots did play well. Only played the default link setup as per usual and couldn't help wondering were all the nodes necessary, but still a great map and definitely a keeper :2thumb:

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Damn, i wonder how you made the 2 side look almost the same. Terrain dupliquating? I think not (looking at the 2 island on the sides). I know that terragen is a good program to make skies, but that skybox is not made in terragen. It looks very unique and fire-looking

Nice work on the terrain layers.

Last edited:

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
....oh god. That thing looks like it's massively graphic-intense... which is a complement, mind you.

WE CPU'S THAT ARE ABOUT TO DIE, SALUTE YOU

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
It played beter than most other ONS maps with a lot of nodes because the construct/desruct time was a lot less. But I didn't like the fact that some nodes had avrils while others did not, and the fact that there was no music file selected for the map.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
CyMek said:
Other than the music, the only thing I found bad was a BSP hole. And its fairly obscure at that.

....Not having music doesn't make a map bad, dude. Not everyone is a musician, and it's not like you can't use your own tunes.

I dunno. The guy's done enough just by makin' this, and I'm satisfied with it as is.

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
CyMek said:
Other than the music, the only thing I found bad was a BSP hole. And its fairly obscure at that.

I would say not having avrils at all the nodes is pretty bad. I kept spawning at nodes that had no avrils, thus I was getting owned by enemy Raptors.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
SolaceEternal said:
....Not having music doesn't make a map bad, dude. Not everyone is a musician, and it's not like you can't use your own tunes.

Not bad, just incomplete.
I personally listen to the game's soundtrack as well, it adds to the experience of the map, and maps without a custom piece of music should simply play one of the (best fitting) original songs.

It's a relatively small oversight though, and the maps looks neat!
I'm going to download it alright... curious how it'll play with the changed rules.