DM-Soma-v2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Soma

Dec 13, 2003
Switzerland
soma.odyssey.ch
From the Full Release thread at Atari:

Name: DM-Soma
Version: v2
Compatibility:Ut2k4

Description: Just keep away from the mushrooms!

Comments: A fun and beautiful map build with custom meshes and textures. Some of the content taken from the game. Turn on full details to fully enjoy the ambiance. Since v1 A lot of work has been put into optimizing the map. (The mesh poly count has decreased from roughly 86k to 60k at the highest, with absolutely no visual changes). Many stuff is now set to the different detail levels. SO crank up the details to get the full ambiance. I've done a lot of polishing overall, added deco layer and some work has put into lightning. There's so many little things, I can't and don't want to list them all here. Also a lot of work has been put into fixing gameplay stuff, like sticky parts etc, as much as I could. Have fun.

Screenshot:

shot_b5_1.jpg

shot_b5_2.jpg

shot_b5_3.jpg

shot_b5_4.jpg

shot_b5_5.jpg

shot_b5_6.jpg

Credits: Philipp "Soma" Urlich

Homepage: Soma's Portfolio (not updated with v2 yet!)

Download: DM-Soma-v2
Download: DM-Soma-v2 (at Unreal Playground, requires registration.)

Enjoy!

Last edited:

ThirtySixBelow

tactical inaccuracy
Feb 6, 2005
It's pretty wide open, which I don't know if i'm tired of yet or not, but the theme is definitely cool. Kind of feels like i'm playing tokara forest, only it's good :lol:

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
I tried it, and I like the vastness of the cave, unlike a certain DM-Rrajigar.

I don't get the description, though.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Not bad, looks real purty and all, but I like my maps with closed-in areas as well as open ones so all weapons can be of maximum use in certain situations. Maps like this with weapon stay off suck because you pretty much need hitscan weapons, and you're not gonna get them all the time without weapon stay.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
Turns2Ashes said:
Not bad, looks real purty and all, but I like my maps with closed-in areas as well as open ones so all weapons can be of maximum use in certain situations. Maps like this with weapon stay off suck because you pretty much need hitscan weapons, and you're not gonna get them all the time without weapon stay.

not to mention that those are the first ones you are deprived of in a weaponsStay off situation.... on purpose I might add.

HORDE and PREVENT!
________
Marijuana Card

Last edited:

Soma

Dec 13, 2003
Switzerland
soma.odyssey.ch
I know that it's an open hitcan map, but that's what I like. I found, like many other maps (Grendel, Antalus, Goliath ...) which are as hitscan dominant, it also has much use for other weapons. If it's not just 1on1, I found myself using spam weapons as much as hitscan and I think it's hell of fun due to it's layout. I understand your complaints, but its not build with competive settings in mind. There's not much servers or people that play weapon stay off anyway.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Hitscankeep and Hitscanoliath suck. :p It's actually sad how many crappy retail maps there are. I'm praying UT2007 isn't the same way. :(

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Any map where hitscan dominates every area sucks. I'm a hitscan hoar so it doesn't mean I don't like playing those maps, but I know that they're lacking in playability and fun factor. Rockets are more fun than lightning could ever hope to be, but their usefulness and effectiveness are severely cut short in a lot of maps.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Not every map has to perfectly balance open and closed areas for the differing play styles. It's nice that most do... but I can overlook the nuisance of reducing the effectiveness of all but three or so of the weapons since they are particularly well crafted maps.

Grendelkeep just doesn't lend itself as well to 1v1 as it does a small TDM or FFA because Grendel needs a little chaos to keep those hitscan h0s off balance.

Goliath has a couple of large areas where hitscan dominates, but again... it's a TDM/FFA map - and while hitscan players tend to do especially well, there is enough variety that at least gives us projectile players a shot. :)

But none of those things make the maps suck.

Soma

Dec 13, 2003
Switzerland
soma.odyssey.ch
Turns2Ashes said:
Any map where hitscan dominates every area sucks. I'm a hitscan hoar so it doesn't mean I don't like playing those maps, but I know that they're lacking in playability and fun factor. Rockets are more fun than lightning could ever hope to be, but their usefulness and effectiveness are severely cut short in a lot of maps.

You're speaking for yourself or in general? I personally find the LG and Shock more fun as Rockets. While speaking about Rockets, I had some of the most satisfying air and prediction Rockets on this map. Well I think it comes all down to personal preference. :D

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I can kill people with lightning and shock more than anything else, but a rocket to someone's face is more satisfying than just about any headshot.

It's not so much preference as it is just thinking about how the game will pan out. If you're facing someone who's awesome at lightning and shock while you suck with those and are awesome with rockets and flak, it comes down to map layout rather than your skill with said projectiles because, unlike hitscan, projectiles are deadly only at close range (neglecting lucky shots or dumb movements of the other guy at range). If, in that map, your chances are getting more than just a couple frags in with your projectiles versus his hitscan are slim to none, there's a balance issue. I guess that's "preference," but it makes logical sense to me. Maps like Goose work because while there's ample room for hitscan, there's also tight areas perfect for projectiles.

Oh, and hal, how do you like my new avatar text? :p