DM-Soma

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Soma

Dec 13, 2003
Switzerland
soma.odyssey.ch
I'm releasing this map for "testing". This will be the final version, unless there's something wrong with it. I will release it officially sometime this weeks.

Name:
DM-Soma

Version:
final

Compatibility:
UT2K4

Description:
Just keep away from the mushrooms!

Comments:
A fun and beautiful map build with custom meshes and textures. Some of the content in from in UT2k4. Turn on full details to fully enjoy the ambiance.

Screenshots:

shot_b5_1.jpg

shot_b5_2.jpg

shot_b5_3.jpg

shot_b5_4.jpg

shot_b5_5.jpg

Credits: Me :)

Download:
DM-Soma

dub

Feb 12, 2002
:eek: Another Soma map... this I got to try.
/me tries not to raise his expectations too much.
(shame it looks like it's an organic map, I much prefer building type levels, mind that's just personal preference)

Soma

Dec 13, 2003
Switzerland
soma.odyssey.ch
Freakin_Bastard said:
Soma - this looks awesome! Should I wait to put it on Mapraider, or can I go ahead? If you'd like to submit it yourself, that'd be great as well. In any case, we'll set up a couple of mirrors for ya' whenever.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm feeling that I'm going to adjust a few things I forgot for the official release. I'll then upload it myself sometime later this week.

Snuggins

----dood----
Sep 8, 2005
Columbus, Ohio USA
I totally love this map. :2thumb:

Gameplay is excellent. The atmosphere is excellent. It has a different feel from most maps out there. Again I say, "I totally love this map."

My only criticism is a small gripe about some of the visuals. There are these hanging vine things... Most of them are really sweet looking, but there are two places where they look kind of glued on and fake.

here are some screens of what I am talking about:

Ones that look awesome:

Shot00011.JPG

Shot00012.JPG

Ones that I think could be reworked or even removed:
Shot00013.JPG

Shot00014.JPG

Shot00015.JPG

All the ones that look bad imo are on the top level. They just have too sharp of an edge, and with all the nice vines in the hole in the very top center, maybe they aren't all that necessary.

I hope my input helps. Even if you leave it as it is, it is one of the best maps I have seen. :tup:

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Nice map. Caves are pretty rare as themes (can only think of 4 in total), and play out pretty uniquely due to their continuously shifting floors. layout and item placement is very good, but there are a couple small AVA notes:
-one of the zones is named "lower walway". This should be "lower walkway"
-when looking up, you see sunlight falling down within the cave...from 2 different angles at the same time.
-even with "foliage=off", all the ferns are visible. Framerates seem okay to me, but could be better if there were a couple set to be detailed meshes.
-on the opposite side, the pools on the link gun and shock rifle DON'T show up at low world detail settings, even though the splashes can still be heard.
-can the path between the upper link gun and the 50 shield become a little more horizontal? It's fine if you dodgejump that part, but if you "just" walk, you can't make it to the link gun.
-the map name and story are pretty weak, if you ask me. On the other hand, it's nothing new from your maps ;)

Other than that, it's perfect for release, IMO. :tup:

Last edited:

Soma

Dec 13, 2003
Switzerland
soma.odyssey.ch
Snuggins said:
I totally love this map. :2thumb:

Gameplay is excellent. The atmosphere is excellent. It has a different feel from most maps out there. Again I say, "I totally love this map."

My only criticism is a small gripe about some of the visuals. There are these hanging vine things... Most of them are really sweet looking, but there are two places where they look kind of glued on and fake.

here are some screens of what I am talking about:

All the ones that look bad imo are on the top level. They just have too sharp of an edge, and with all the nice vines in the hole in the very top center, maybe they aren't all that necessary.

I hope my input helps. Even if you leave it as it is, it is one of the best maps I have seen. :tup:

Thanks Snugg for your time. Yes, the vines in some places arent optimal in all places, that's why I tried to hide the sharp edges in dark spots a bit, but isnt always working. They arent really supposed to be used like i used them in some cases. It would be nice to make new vines that arent "2d", or hide the transition behind something... etc. I'll see if I'm happy enough to work on that a little more.

Soma

Dec 13, 2003
Switzerland
soma.odyssey.ch
Taleweaver said:
Nice map. Caves are pretty rare as themes (can only think of 4 in total), and play out pretty uniquely due to their continuously shifting floors. layout and item placement is very good, but there are a couple small AVA notes:
-one of the zones is named "lower walway". This should be "lower walkway"
-when looking up, you see sunlight falling down within the cave...from 2 different angles at the same time.
-even with "foliage=off", all the ferns are visible. Framerates seem okay to me, but could be better if there were a couple set to be detailed meshes.
-on the opposite side, the pools on the link gun and shock rifle DON'T show up at low world detail settings, even though the splashes can still be heard.
-can the path between the upper link gun and the 50 shield become a little more horizontal? It's fine if you dodgejump that part, but if you "just" walk, you can't make it to the link gun.
-the map name and story are pretty weak, if you ask me. On the other hand, it's nothing new from your maps ;)

Other than that, it's perfect for release, IMO. :tup:

Thanks Tale for your feedback. Very appreciated.

As you recognized I'm not very good in giving names and english isnt my first language. I change all of the names to "Lower" or "Upper..." one I even forgot to make an up and lower volume... any help would be appreciated in finding good location names.

As for the light chatching in, you got me right there. :D Well, it was meant to be just some light coming in the wholes, and not a sun that shines in, that's why i've put them like this. But you're right it looks akward. I reduced them to one side, and put in a "sun" outside. Thanks for mention this.

The ferns arent foliage. They're simple statics. Since I use them rarely and they're arent very high poly, I like to have them even on low detail settings. I'll consider to set some of them to high detail, but I think it's not really neccesary.

The pools are set to high detail yes. The sound should be there always, it wouldnt be fair if trigger sounds are set to any detail state. It's the same on most other maps like in Rankin etc. Though I'll consider to set the puddles to display even on low details. It doesnt makes a big diff in performance anyway.

I like it the way it is at 50a-link. :D Shouldnt be too easy to move around up there IMO.

Yes as I said I'm not a good writer. Any suggestions?

Snuggins

----dood----
Sep 8, 2005
Columbus, Ohio USA
Soma said:
Thanks Snugg for your time. Yes, the vines in some places arent optimal in all places, that's why I tried to hide the sharp edges in dark spots a bit, but isnt always working. They arent really supposed to be used like i used them in some cases. It would be nice to make new vines that arent "2d", or hide the transition behind something... etc. I'll see if I'm happy enough to work on that a little more.

No problem. You made a great map, and I can't even guess how long it took compared to my poking around in there. :D

I wouldn't have even noticed the sharp-looking vines except I was specifically flying around looking at everything up close. You did a good job hiding the awkward ones. :tup:

I think one of the best achievements of this map gameplay-wise is that the layout of the map and the placement of the bio-rifle makes that weapon more awesome than usual. I don't usually use the bio that much, but it is very useful and satisfying in this setting. Pwnt! :biorifle:

I can't wait till this map gets played on some of my favorite DM servers. :)