JB-Coralation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Wow, great map Zed, I like these bridges more than IslandHop ones.
Played it more than 30mins. Here some ideas:
- Yes, the matches often go to overtime, but I can’t find any idea to fix this…
- Why don’t you make a different jumpad design? Everyone is is bored of these tech pads... :rolleyes:
- The minigun turrets are locked for the red team… :con:
- The TriggeredJumpad icons are shown ingame...
- When players take the jumpads to escape, do they get some damage when landing if the release protection addon is off??? (I forgot trying this... :p)
- More cameras in the execution? ;)
- Again, after releasing my team, I have no more choice than camping around the enemy switch if I lose my vehicle. Spawning a manta near the switch (when a player releases his team) to allow the releaser to escape from the enemy base could be a possible solution... :rolleyes: (SuperApe made actors to spawn vehicles with triggers, ask him if you want to use them... ;) http://forums.unrealplayground.com/showthread.php?t=23515)
- Picture: Scorpions get stuck here...

Attachments

• Coralation.jpg
    Coralation.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I haven't spent much time on this map yet, but I did manage to get a few minutes in. I like it, it's huge and I feel like it's the father of Savo Island, which also was a very good map. The execution sequence is great and when you put Gilbalicious II on, it makes it all the better. Anywho, it is a nice map, and it was well thought out, I'll look to keep playing for testing purposes, but this map kicks............. um teeth? Trying to be clean for the boards. I'm only kidding, this map rocks!

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Looks really beautifull :D
Like Spudsey said its a bit like Savo-Island, reminds me of when I first played that map back about a year ago - a great feeling to bring back.

And as G. Lector said, try something new with the jumpads, something with a more organic feel to it? perhaps little water fountains?

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
The_Head said:
something with a more organic feel to it? perhaps little water fountains?
lol, its meant to be a prison and possibly the place of your death...you want to look at water fountains before you go? :lol:
--
The map is bigger then I thought o_o;
needs more then 15 bots i think, i only saw 1 on the other team in like 10mins (appart from the last tart who kept flying away in raptor :mad: )
Due to annoying bots i didnt play for too long :p but it looks cool, love the waves :)
speaking of waves :rolleyes: :) abit of mark sir.
wavy6jk.jpg

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
:)

I'm not surprised that there are floating trees about. When I first placed them they were all ok, but then I went around smoothing the terrain to make Rev's wave-making easier, so the terrain was adjusted, especially near the shores. I'll fly around and check them out.

Yeah, I'll have a look at a new jump pad design. Water fountains are a nice idea actually :)

Heh, oops. I always play as blue so I do sometimes miss red-base problems. I'll fix those turrets and check around for any other problems. ;)

The TriggerableUTJumppad icons were only made visible for testing purposes, and I've obviously forgotten to make them hidden again :p

If you have release protection you don't get hurt when you land on the "main" island. You can even go through the nasty volumes surrounding the jail without being hurt. Since those who do shield fights sometimes don't get release protection I'll make a landing pad which prevents damage to you.

I will put some more execution cameras inn :)

Spawning a vehicle upon triggering is an interesting idea actually. I'd also ensure that you couldn't spawn multiple Mantas too, for example. What does everyone else think of this idea?

It will be extremely difficult to ensure that Scorpions and other vehicles can't ever get stuck, but if its a major problem in a major area I will investigate. I'll see what I can do for this particular example.

Edit:
Yes, I'll lower that wave too ;)

Last edited:

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah The Head is right here. This map brings back golden memories of Savo Island. Anywho, the map is certainly not Savo and it is certainly not a map you can hate. This is one sweet ride, and I mean that pun.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
Hey Zed - to save you some time - make a raw key binding in advanced options to "ACTOR ALIGN SNAPTOFLOOR ALIGN=0". Then select all of the trees, move them up so all of them would be above the ground, and hit that key. What it does is put all the pivots on the ground. So even if the pivot of those trees is too high or too low, at least they'll be all at the same height and you can adjust them all in about 5 seconds :) That's one of the commands I use all the time, every day at work - mostly for pathnodes but also handy for these kind of things too.

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Time for the second batch of screenshots. Almost all suggested features have been added, with the notable exception of a vehicle which could spawn when you hit the release switch.

The release switch is quite exposed, and a camping player has little to hide behind. Without a vehicle they're quite weak, and health isn't exactly near either. While you may be able to hide away from bots, against humans campers who don't have a vehicle will have little chance of camping the switch for long. This is in contrast to RimeValley where the camper has plenty of health, has a nearby ammo source, and is indoors, which is why the TeamTeleporter (which still needs to be debugged for bots by the way) was placed there. Consequently, I don't think that a vehicle or teleporter is necessary here.

I've also got round to making an arena, which has similarites to SavoIsland's, but it is smaller and only has a Link Gun and Minigun. While I thought about a Manta-battle-arena, that would require another vehicle map waiting for JB2004c before bots knew what to do.

And I think that a new beta is due. Have fun :)

JB-Coralation-Beta2

Attachments

• Coralation-AirAttack.jpg
    Coralation-AirAttack.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Coralation-Arena.jpg
    Coralation-Arena.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Coralation-ExecutionCam2.jpg
    Coralation-ExecutionCam2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Coralation-ExecutionCam3.jpg
    Coralation-ExecutionCam3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 42
  • Coralation-Release.jpg
    Coralation-Release.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 45

Spudsy

Unreal Tournament Junkie
Feb 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Zed! You're doing great dude, keep up the very high quality work you got going on here dude, this map is definately a keeper!

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
A few more ideas:
> The map is really fun when I am driving a vehicle, but I think going on foot is a pain...
- What about placing a neutral scorpion (or manta) in each island (or some of them) between the bases and the jail vehicles, and 2 more neutral vehicles in the central island?
- Or jumpads to make pedestrians go faster? (I don't like this too much but...) :rolleyes:
- If not, leave it as it is now and players will have to learn dodgejumpwalking :D
> I think the jumpad bases should be a bit smaller. The emmiters look cool.
> The emmiters of the jail-jumpads are too long and players don't follow the same trayectory as the particles. I don't like the new landing platforms, I rarely fall on them... :con:
> Could you make the jail-jumpads a little faster?
> Shock and BioRifle would work better in the arena IMO...
> Pictures 1 & 2: You sometimes have to do a jump to go onto these platforms. Rise the terrain a bit around them or and blocking...
> Picture 3: Self-explanatory :p
> Picture 4: These stones look nearly black...

Attachments

• Coralation1.jpg
    Coralation1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Coralation2.jpg
    Coralation2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Coralation3.jpg
    Coralation3.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Coralation4.jpg
    Coralation4.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
  • I'm always a bit wary of neutral vehicles. The jails vehicles were positioned so that you (most of the time) weren't far away from something important, be it a game objective or accessible vehicle. In the neutral islands I always ensure that there is something of value, which is typically a Super Shield or Keg, a Super Weapon (not that the Target Painter is really that super), and/or a powerful weapon like a Rocket Launcher or Avril.
    Walking is always going to be a down-side of a vehicle map, but it has to be done sometime, which is why I think everyone should just get the hang of dodge-double-jumping instead of walking. Even the bots sometimes do that ;)
  • I think the size of the Jump Pad platforms is ok because it means there's a noticeable amount of water there. Also, the emitter spawns some splashes which move across the surface.
  • Jump Pads are odd. For some reason they don't launch you all of the way to the destination Navigation Point. The only way I can get this to work is by adding a bit of height to the jump, which then makes the jump feel longer and slower. The Red Jail Jump Pads in particular had this problem, :con: and I could have sworn that I made them so that you landed on that pad. You aren't holding down a movement button are you? And you did walk into the Jump Pad rather than jump on to it?
  • Would other people rather switch the arena weapons to Shock Rifle and Bio Rifle?
  • Is it really that much to ask you to jump up onto those platforms? :p Its also quite awkward to get the terrain to fit the platform so that it doesnt show through it.
  • Fixed that gap. :)
  • The only lighting in the map is done by a few SunLight actors, and thats what they think the lighting should be. There is meant to be a shadow actually, as the SunLight actors all face north. But since the sun in the SkyBox is shining down, I suppose I'll have to make the SunLight actors shine downwards. :rolleyes:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
For the Sunlights:

Have the main Sunlight that creates all the nice shadows, then have 2 more sunlights with lower brightnesses, about 10 to stop those harsh shadows.
Learnt that one from Hourences ;)
Will post some feedback on the map tomorrow as I have been out all day today.

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
LOL stay in jail on that rock in the middle, select shieldgun ... aaand watch the bots commiting suicide ROLFOLFOOLOOO!!!1!1!111 :D

Attachments

• Shot03262.jpg
    Shot03262.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Shot03263.jpg
    Shot03263.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Shot03264.jpg
    Shot03264.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 30