I need advice on lowering my pong...*Reward Offered*

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mere-Mortal

Feb 20, 2004
Okay, I've got a Compaq Presario with a 2gig CPU & a 256meg RAM, and the game (UT GOTY v436) plays damned diddly fine on single player. But playing aginst bots ain't pickled onions, is it? :rolleyes: Also got NVIDIA using Direct 3d.

Online however...I get a pongy ping of over 200 (on a popular server, others might be far worse) so I'm just being desomated by a shock combo before I even see the blue flash. I just can't compete =( Average of 30 frags a match on Face mind, depending on the pong.

I've noticed that an average ping is prolly around the 100 mark, so everyone else is thus twice as quick as me at using that Hollow Point Head Remover. Sometimes, I know I've took their head clean off, so ytf are they still shooting at me?? And once, when I had the enemy flag...TWICE I ran over my own flag to capture, but no...it wasn't fúcking there, was it? It was on my screen, but it just wasn't really there cos some fúck already had away with it. Then I drunk a six pack. Not of beer tho =( Hey...if it's an "Eightball", why does it only fire six, huh?

My connection is a 56k modem and a shîtty two month trial with AOL using a BT landline. Have I already acquired optimal conditions given my connection? Or is there any way I can decrease my ping?

AOL Live Help told me to set the UT process priority to "LOW", which did nothing except fart and create an added pong :(

Any help would be appreciated.
Anyone who does help...I'll let them in one of Facing World's secrets ;)

Chris.

Just remembered that one can customise the NVIDIA settings, so I'm gonna check them out, and if it helps rid of the lag, I'll be sure to notify the board :) And I'm going to test different video settings (1:30pm on 3/4/4).
Which has totally fúcked up the graphics. I think I might have deleted a driver, you know :( That's not the reason for the initial lag, btw (8:20pm 4/4/4).

Last edited:

JamesBong

'JeeP' addict
Sep 18, 2002
oHIo
Visit site
Mere-Mortal said:
My connection is a 56k modem and a shîtty two month trial with AOL

I would say, right there's your problem..... proprietary(sp) connections = bad lag.... have fun getting rid of that AOL disease

Is that modem internal? Try an external....

Mere-Mortal

Feb 20, 2004
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it were AOL. It takes me an average of 10 minutes per meg when downloading :( They're just crap, tbpfh. I need broadband *nods*

I do have an internal modem, but should that really pose a problem? Besides, I can't afford to be spending money on an additional modem.

Thanks anyway :)

SkummyB|BuF

Would you like to see me dance?
Feb 19, 2000
Liverpool, UK
www.bombardiers.org
This should help you lower your pong quite significantly :)

lyn475j_large.jpg

Mere-Mortal

Feb 20, 2004
Someone had to...they just had to, didn't they?
Something tells me no-one is gonna know my little secret of the Faces.

I've actually got one of them, btw...Africa Dry tbe.

Last edited: