XM8 lightweight assault rifle model in progress

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
Latest dukeXM8b
Here's my first contribution to weapon models...

Brief description:
The XM8 (M8 if it's adopted) assault rifle is a proposed replacement for the current M16 rifle and M4 carbine, the standard infantry weapons in today's US military. The XM8 action is based upon the Hechler & Koch G36, a tried and true infantry weapon with a reputation for toughness and reliability. The XM29 OICW, which combined both an assault rifle and a smart grenade launcher, turned out to be too heavy, fragile, and expensive. The rifle part of the XM29 was adapted to become the XM8. The smart grenade launcher part of the XM29 is being developed separately as the XM25.

Attachments

• dukesXM8_01.jpg
    dukesXM8_01.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,157
  • dukesXM8_02.jpg
    dukesXM8_02.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 685
  • dukesXM8_03.jpg
    dukesXM8_03.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Good model. However, the gun looks gayed-up. Not commenting on your skills, I just think that gun is an ugly sci-fi mistake, heh. Does the real rifle actually have that big "X-Treme" X on the side of it? I'd feel like the gay guy in the squad if I got that instead of the M4 or M249. Even if it performs like the G36, you'd think they could've come up with a "less gay" design. Good model, stupid looking gun. Meh.

Sorry if I offended any homosexuals with my 4:30am post. :(

-Yeah, the gun has some impressive specs, but...I mean, look at it. Wouldn't you be laughed at with that thing?
Speaking of nice looking rifles, anybody modeling the HK M4? heh. :D

Last edited:

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
I think it looks good and it's one of the best unofficial model i've seen so far.

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
It's optimized for polycount already, 566 faces and less than half of that will most likely show. I do plan on making this a first-person model with skeletal animation. I could use the team's advice on the importing and what I should avoid and such.

This page is my reference. Here's a small video clip of it firing full-auto.

Last edited:

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
wait duke if you can animate the INF mod team could use the help. the link is in my sig if you want to say hello.

And that is a very nice model, looks just like it. I was looking at the PDF that compared the XM8 to the M4 just the other day.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Really well done model and textures.

But , and there it is not related to the gun textures up there, i find very wierd that this rifle has a big " XM8 " displayed on its flank in all the references pics i saw of it.
Can someone explain me why ? Is it because it is always considered as "prototype" and the references pics are some kind of commercial advertisement for it ?

Edit : are some attachments planned for this gun when it will be in INF ?

Last edited:

Specter

Infiltrator
Jul 17, 2002
FieldMedic said:
Is it because it is always considered as "prototype" and the references pics are some kind of commercial advertisement for it ?

I think that is probably likely. A lot of the prototype and concept art pictures all have the XM8 logo on the side. Although, if you watch the video of the XM8 being fired it just has a standard grey color without any markings. There are also some pictures from the official HK page with a grey colored XM8:
http://www.hk-usa.com/pages/military-le/rifles-carbines/xm8.html

FieldMedic said:
Edit : are some attachments planned for this gun when it will be in INF ?

The XM8 doesn't seem to have attachments. It looks more like it has modular components, such as different barrels and stocks, that make different variants (like the G36).

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
atachments include
the new XM320 quick detachable single-shot 40mm grenade launcher with
side-opening breech
LSS lightweight 12 gauge shotgun module
uses the m4 surpressors
and can mount existing in service attachments

wondering if duke will model all these things

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Great job Duke! That model looks perfect. What plans do you have for including variants/attachments? (some of the variants seem to require very little altering). I like that skin a lot, but it might be cool to have some other skins like black as attachment options. Quote from .pdf H&K brochure: "can be molded in almost any color to include OD green, desert tan, arctic white, urban blue, brown and basic black."

I'd like to see the different sight pictures when you get those done.

Also, here is a neat idea: Since the XM8 uses clear mags, what if there was an animation to look at the side of the mag to check the amount of ammo? Maybe it could be done with the "use attachment" button, or maybe as a part of reloading.

keep it up man :tup:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Also, here is a neat idea: Since the XM8 uses clear mags, what if there was an animation to look at the side of the mag to check the amount of ammo? Maybe it could be done with the "use attachment" button, or maybe as a part of reloading.

Could you put an action on reload-hold? The same way Aim-hold hold you're breath, reload-hold could perhaps be used to check the mag? Just thought about that one. Might be cool if it worked,

cracwhore

I'm a video game review site...
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
So are irons a thing of the past now? :( . I guess all of those Sci-Fi movies were right about how the "guns of the future" would look. I guess Star Trek phasers are the next step now. Also, it explains the infantry rifles the Storm Troopers carry in Star Wars. Yep, this proves my theory. "Everything you see in a sci-fi war movie will eventually come true". Haha.

...god, that gun still looks so gay......"X"? Is the gun based on a unix kernel?
-ok, that was a dumb 4:30am joke. Sorry....

Got anything else up your sleeves Duke?

MP_Duke

Banned
May 23, 2002
www.geocities.com
[LD]CrAcWhOrE said:
So are irons a thing of the past now? :( . I guess all of those Sci-Fi movies were right about how the "guns of the future" would look. I guess Star Trek phasers are the next step now. Also, it explains the infantry rifles the Storm Troopers carry in Star Wars. Yep, this proves my theory. "Everything you see in a sci-fi war movie will eventually come true". Haha.

...god, that gun still looks so gay......"X"? Is the gun based on a unix kernel?
-ok, that was a dumb 4:30am joke. Sorry....

Got anything else up your sleeves Duke?

The integrated sight is comparable to ACOGs but I want to try it as a sight similar to the P90. I think it's a good choice. The US is planning to replace the M4/M16 family of assault rifles with the M8. And I like the sci-fi look.

Depending on how well I can get this into INF, I may work on an RPG.
As for you crac, here's a nice pink dildo to satisfy your rampant homosexual sting :p

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 167