Who is ready to make Epic proud?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well about a week ago, EvilDrWong and I were talking about how friggin awesome it would be if someone were to make a Jazz Jackrabbit mod for UT2k4, seeing as it was Epic's first well known games. After discussing this coolness for something around an hour, I decided to email Mark Rein and see if there would be any legality issues if some "enterprising mod team" were to make a Jazz Jackrabbit mod for 2k4. Today I got his response.

Mark Rein said:
Sorry for the delayed answer.

> Do you guys have any plans to release a new Jazz Jackrabbit
> game?

Nothing currently in the plans.

> Would it be ok to make a 2k4 mod based on Jazz
> Jackrabbit? I was one of the few people looking forward to a
> Jazz Jackrabbit 3D back in the early days of the Unreal Engine.

I don't see any harm in a Jazz Jackrabbit mod for UT2004.

> Also, why haven't you guys put in a secret Jazz Jackrabbit
> model in Ut yet? My friends and I were discussing this
> earlier today, because the Jazz Jackrabbit games were some
> that got you started eh?

Jazz would look out of place in UT's world. There was a team
experimenting with a Mario-like Jazz game using the Unreal Engine but it
never went anywhere.

Mark Rein
Epic Games Inc.

So I'm wondering how many people are interested in something like this. I know it would take alot of work and all, but man. I really think the Epic guys would love to see a mod like this, whether it qualified for MSUC or not (probably does, but still...) and I really think it's about time someone made Epic proud to have come as far as they have.

Rawk on friends! :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
because legally Epic still owns the copyrights to Jazz Jackrabbit, and if I went ahead and made everything they could sue me and take away everything I had done and use it for their own purposes. Not that I would care ifg they wanted to take the stuff away from meand use it and give me credit, but the suing part wouldn't be very fun.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
anyone who didn't playit truly missed out on one of the greatest side-scrollers ever made. Better than Duke Nukem, Commander Keen, et al. combined, IMO. There's nothing I would like better than to see Epic's past immortalized.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
get a dos emulator, they actually work pretty good. One I'm using is Dosemu.

Cool thing on JJ2 is it has multiplayer :)

who thinks they could model Jazz Jackrabbit? That would be l337!

Mirico

Feb 5, 2004
Hey, I'm new to these forums. I never knew there were alot of people around the net who still like Jazz Jackrabbit. Seeing as I'm a fairly big Jazz Jackrabbit fan (I still play the game. A small community has survived and we all play Jazz Jackrabbit 2 and make new levels, and make programs for it etc. There is about 50-100 posting on the forums (I don't know the exact), and around 15-25 actually play the game.) A member of our forum posted a link to here and I felt that I should mention something because making the JJ2 community bigger would definately be better. Where most of us hang out: http://www.jazz2online.com Forum: http://www.jazz2online/jcf
I recommend that all you who still like JJ2 go there. I believe some people have extra copies of JJ2 (Or it's European only expansion, The Secret Files (TSF)) to sell you. Oh yeah, I'm known as URJazz on the forum, and URJazz[si] on the game. If you need help playing the game then ask there (You need to set it up to connect to new servers). Thanks for reading this, and I hope many people follow those links.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Jazz Jackrabbit !! :tup: \o/ :rockon:

Oh, by the way,

Hello Mirico, and welcome to the BeyondUnreal™ Forums, the biggest and best Unreal® community on the internet!

Quoting _Zd_Phoenix_ in another thread,
_Zd_Phoenix_ said:
[BeyondUnreal] is home to at least 5 sane members. You will also find hordes of lunatics, heretics and diuretics in those places who will attempt to stop you leaving by any means possible.

_Zd_Phoenix_ pretty much summed up what it is like around here. I happen to be one of the five sane members around here. As for the "lunatics, heretics, and diuretics," you'll just have to stick around to find out who they are; you'll know them when you see them.

Off Topic is a chaotic place to discuss (almost) anything on your mind, including sexuality, politics, sports, and just about anything else.

If you happen to play any of the Unreal® series of games, make sure to visit those forums when you feel the need to escape the insanity. If you play Unreal® Tournament 2003, every weekend there is an event called FragBU; you can read up on those events in the UT2003 forum.

To improve your chances of your head exploding, try visiting the BeyondUnreal™ IRC channel. Connect to the server irc.enterthegame.com and /join #beyondunreal.

Just remember, don't be afraid (at least most of the time). Have fun and post/chat away!

BeyondUnreal™ is probably a trademark of BeyondUnreal™, Inc. Unreal® is a registered trademark of Epic Games. Some images found on this forum may be enhanced with Adobe® Photoshop® software. Adobe® and Photoshop® are registered trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
bring on the old skool platformers!!!

i would love to see a good platform mod like jazz jackrabitt come to the 3d realm :p hell id pay to play that ;)

btw why stop @ jazz jackrabbit?

give us jazz vs. earthworm jim! \o/

ive said it before and will say it once again, the world lacks enough good side scrolling platform games!

Last edited:

Mirico

Feb 5, 2004
CaSCaDe said:
jazz jackrabitt come to the 3d realm
Well, if you really want to know, Jazz 3D was in developement a few year(s) ago, but it stopped completely. And there is also a demo of it circling around the Jazz2 Community. It is supposed to be non-public but it leaked out and now quite a few people have it, you just need to ask the right people. I believe the graphics aren't that great, and it's a 3rd-person shooter. The demo includes 1 character, 1 Multiplayer Battle level, and a bunch of Single Player levels.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
CaSCaDe said:
i meant 3d like dukenukem manhatten project, a 3d side scroller, the world needs more side scrollers
That is an awesome Freakin Game, I busted my Butt to find it too, was worth the find! DN:MP

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think it would be cool as a third person mario 64 type game with objectives and stuff. If anyone has any of the manuals with storyline and such, I would really appreciate a write up!

Violet CLM

Feb 5, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
I don't know if it's ok to post this here (abandonware is still controversial) but I got the game here
(link)
mod feel free to remove it if I can't have it here
It's not free, it's not abandoned, and it's illegal to download. Please remove that link.
Mirico said:
Jazz 3D was in developement a few year(s) ago, but it stopped completely. And there is also a demo of it circling around the Jazz2 Community. It is supposed to be non-public but it leaked out and now quite a few people have it, you just need to ask the right people. I believe the graphics aren't that great, and it's a 3rd-person shooter. The demo includes 1 character, 1 Multiplayer Battle level, and a bunch of Single Player levels.
This demo is illegal to distribute or to own (unless you were given it by the creators, maybe). Don't even bother trying to get ahold of it. http://www.jazz2online.com/j3f/
Sir_Brizz said:
I think it would be cool as a third person mario 64 type game with objectives and stuff. If anyone has any of the manuals with storyline and such, I would really appreciate a write up!
Jazz Jackrabbit 1: Jazz, interstellar hero for hire, hears on the radio that princess Eva Earlong of the planet Carrotus has been kidnapped by Shellion terrorist Devan Shell. After many fights with Devan and Devan's forces, Jazz rescues Eva and (probably) brings her back to Carrotus.
Jazz Jackrabbit 2: Devan's assistant, a yellow lizard, breaks into Carrotus Castle during Jazz's wedding with Eva. The lizard steals Eva's giant wedding diamond before the rabbits can be married, for the diamond is the last thing Devan needs to construct his time machine. Eva's mother (whose name is not known) throws Jazz in the dungeon. Eva sends Jazz's brother, Spaz, to get Jazz out, and together the brothers set out to save the diamond. When they catch up with Devan, he sends them back in time, at which point they have many battles before finally defeating Devan in the deepest bottom right corner of hell. After getting home, Jazz and Eva are married, and Spaz notices a pretty yellow rabbit girl at the wedding...
Jazz Jackrabbit 2: The Secret Files: The yellow rabbit girl turns out to be Jazz and Spaz's long lost sister, Lori. ...after that nobody really knows what the plot for this game is, but the rabbits go to an Easter world, a haunted house and a city.
Jazz Jackrabbit 3: Hmmm... just see the link I gave earlier. All plot explanations were created from my own understanding of the game, and are not transcripts of the manuals or anything.

It would be great if a Jazz Jackrabbit mod was made. People have wanted to do that for years, but we always thought Epic would be against it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Violet CLM said:
It's not free, it's not abandoned, and it's illegal to download. Please remove that link.

I can't say anything to it. Neither me nor you are the final word on abandonware, obviously. Abandoned software does not mean the community has rejected it and it is no longer in use by anyone, but that it is not supported by it's creator...or not supported to the extent that you cannot order the game from them or their publisher directly. i.e. it has been abandoned.

Obviously some games aren't available to buy and are not abandonware, hence my not knowing whether or not it is kosher to post that link. If a moderator feels that I shouldn't post it, I hope they will remove it. Like I said though, I don't consider myself the final word on what is and isn't abandonware.

Thanks for posting the write ups though! AWESOME! :D :D