My Mac G4 is dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pReTTy_vAcaNt

formerly lafnboy
Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
That's why I haven't been visiting BuF lately. But anyways, my Mac G4 won't start up and when I try to turn it on, a folder icon appears in the middle of the screen and on the folder the Mac face icon and a question mark start flashing.

But anyways.. I wont be on very often.. just to let everyone know :)

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
dude, have you booted while holding down "s" and then ran "fsck -y" (no quotes) at the prompt?

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
Do Macs always display errors with cryptic pictures? Is there a way to set it so it just says whats wrong?

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
pReTTy_vAcaNt said:
That's why I haven't been visiting BuF lately. But anyways, my Mac G4 won't start up and when I try to turn it on, a folder icon appears in the middle of the screen and on the folder the Mac face icon and a question mark start flashing.

But anyways.. I wont be on very often.. just to let everyone know :)

Oh dear... My G3 B&W blew up the other day :( My power supply just went *Nah, I don't think so mate* and blew up, deafening me for about 1 min. :lol: It was lucky I had my PC otherwise I would have been stuck for my job.

I'm thinking about fixin' it, but a replacement psu will be 75 pounds (!) refurb :mad:

Hope it works out :)

namu

Bleh.
Dec 21, 2000
Dinae Mensa, Tharsis Regio
namu.free.fr
G3 B&W ? Wow, how old was it ? IIRC Apple stopped selling them in 1998.
About the G4: boot on the Install CD or DVD, and check the hard drive and fix autorisations (MacOS X).

If it still won't boot then try reinstalling the OS directly.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Kibbles-N-Bits said:
Do Macs always display errors with cryptic pictures? Is there a way to set it so it just says whats wrong?

IBM (actual IBM-brand) computers have a funny way of saying the same thing.
If it can't find/boot from the hard drive, it basically shows a picture of a floppy drive, a disk with arrows pointing into the floppy drive, and a picture of a keyboard with F1 being pressed. No text at all. I'll dig out my old IBM PS/1 486 and snap a picture of it sometime.

G-Lite

ftw
Jul 25, 2000
g-lite.kochen.nl
Kibbles-N-Bits said:
Meh, PCs can be worse afaik. IIRC my current comp doesn't display anything _at all_

pReTTy_vAcaNt

formerly lafnboy
Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
thanks for the help guyys, I will try your advice. Cant find the boot disc though, but thanks :)

As for now, I'll try out Zen's suggestion...

edit - thiss better not break anything Zen, or you're dead ;)

Last edited:

pReTTy_vAcaNt

formerly lafnboy
Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
well it won't work, I'm running on OS 9.1 :(

I guess I'll have to reinstall... but..

I press control+alt+command+Z and I can enter text. tells me I can type "mac-boot" or "shutdown"... but I tried to boot it up but it still went back to the folder icon.

:eek:

If any of you might know how to get it working again without having to reinstall than any advice will be greatly appreciated :) I'll check back tomorrow I guess. If not I'll just wait till Sunday to have my stepdad reinstall.

thanks to all of you and best wishes :)

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
The Blinking '?' icon means that the Mac could not find a valid System folder on any of the attached bootable devices.

Is the Hard Disk spinning up at boot time? You may want to zap the NVRAM to reset the default boot device path. To do this, hold down command-option-P-R when the machine starts. You will hear the startup chime twice.

To do a more complete reset, you will have to open up the mac and either remove one of the memory modules, or pull out the NVRAM battery for a few minutes. You shouldn't have to do this except for rare cases.

If you still cannot boot into MacOS 9, your only choice is to find another boot volume, like a startup CD. When the computer boots, put the CD in and hold the 'c' key down. You should be able to boot directly from the CD, bringing you to the MacOS 9 desktop. When your internal drive mounts, take a quick look to see that everything is in place. Run Disk First Aid to scan for any potential problems. Afterwards, just to be safe, do a clean install of MacOS 9. Its not as painful as it sounds, you just need to spend some time moving extensions, control panels, and preference files over afterwards.

If the disk does not mount, you have a more serious problem. Apple does not package any tools that are really capable of resurrecting dead drives that won't mount, so you will have to invest in something more robust in this rare situation. Norton Utilities 7 has saved my arse in such a case.

Last edited:

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Crap like that is why I keep a seperate install, and also a backup of my user data, on my iPod. Between that and iSync I can get my system back in shape in minutes... not that mine has ever crashed yet.

BTW- 7b74 is fecking awesome ;)

pReTTy_vAcaNt

formerly lafnboy
Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
well I tried the command+alt+p+r and it did the bootup sound twice but it still wasn't working :eek:

But again thanks to all of you for the help :)

I'll try to get my stepdad to reinstall this weekend.

again, thank you all :)

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
ElectricSheep said:
If the disk does not mount, you have a more serious problem...

This happened to me awhile back, and the timing couldn't have been worse (as if there is a good time for this to happen?) Anyway, the upshot of this whole fracas involved me dragging the machine down to a mac repair shop. They had to perform data recovery, and then install a new HD. :mad: Thank Grud they were able to recover everything..