'Grand Theft Auto' makers sued over teenage killing...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
'Grand Theft Auto' makers sued over teenage killing
18 September 2003
------------
The makers of the bestselling video game Grand Theft Auto are being sued for more than £60m after two teenagers said they were copying its violent scenes when they killed a man.

The court case could help to decide the debate over whether violent video and computer games cause aggression in children. Grand Theft Auto and its three sequels are designed in Britain and have topped the UK and US games charts, selling more than 20 million copies in the past five years. The player acts the role of a street thug with 40 different weapons.

Points, ammunition and more weapons are awarded for completing missions that include stealing cars, crashing them, shooting pedestrians and other motorists, drug dealing and beating up prostitutes. The fourth in the series, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, quickly became the bestselling video game in history when it was launched last year, with 250,000 copies sold in the first two days.

The $100m legal action involves Joshua Buckner, 14, and his stepbrother William, 16, from Newport, Tennessee, who shot dead Aaron Hamel, 45, and seriously injured Kimberly Bede, 19, on 25 June.

The two boys told police they shot at vehicles on a highway near their home with a .22 rifle in an attempt to recreate images from Grand Theft Auto. Mr Hamel, a nurse, was killed while driving home to Knoxville, Tennessee. Miss Bede, who was travelling in another car with her boyfriend, was seriously injured and has eight fragments of shrapnel in her pelvis.

The Buckner brothers had no criminal record or any history of trouble-making. In court last month, they pleaded guilty to reckless homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment. They were sentenced to indefinite detention. District Attorney General Al Schmutzer told the court: "They said they got the idea from a video game called Grand Theft Auto and that they were bored, that they went out and began shooting."

In a letter to victims and their families, Joshua said: "I did not mean to hurt anyone. I hate that it happened. This will stick with me for the rest of my life."

Miss Bede and the family of Aaron Hamel plan to sue Take-Two Interactive Software, which publishes Grand Theft Auto, for liability in a wrongful death lawsuit. Take-Two owns Rockstar Games, which is based in Edinburgh and designed the first version of the game in 1997. Sony will also be named in the lawsuit, because Grand Theft Auto was made exclusively for its Play- Station consoles. Sony declined to comment on the case.

Jack Thompson, the lawyer representing the families, said the court case could be the first to rule on whether watching and playing violent video games caused excess aggression in children. He said: "We are going to show that this game did influence these boys and cause them to go out and shoot at these people.

"There has been a wealth of research to show that children's brains process these video games in a different way from adults'. They cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality, so they play these games and then think if they do the same thing in reality, it's OK, there will be no consequences."

Referring to The Manchurian Candidate, a 1962 film in which American soldiers are brainwashed into becoming fighting machines in the Korean war, Mr Thompson said: "We have got a nation of Manchurian Candidates who are training on these video games." Mr Thompson plans to call American defence ministry officials to give evidence on how they have employed video-game designers to help to train soldiers.

One company, Pandemic Games, is selling a game to the public that was designed to train infantry troops in urban combat. Players use "real weaponry and equipment currently in use by the US Army".

Mr Thompson claims that this shows video games "desensitise" people, particularly children, to violence. He will also point to the Columbine High School massacre in Colorado in 1999, when Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold shot 13 people dead. Both boys were fans of the video game Doom, which has been used to train US soldiers in lethal combat.

Claims of a link between video games and real violence have always been highly controversial, with manufacturers pointing out that millions of people enjoy playing the games but do not show any aggression. There are also arguments over whether aggression is innate, or learnt, and whether people who are naturally more aggressive are more likely to play violent video games.

But recent research has tended to back the argument that games can increase the risk of some young men committing acts of aggression.

A study by Iowa State University showed last year that even brief exposure to violent video games could temporarily increase aggressive behaviour in all types of people. Another study found that people who had played violent video games were more likely to have aggressive attitudes.

Craig Anderson, who led the studies, said: "The active nature of the learning environment of the video game suggests this medium is potentially more dangerous than television and movie media. With the recent trend toward greater realism and more graphic violence in video games, consumers and parents of consumers should be aware of these potential risks."

Grand Theft Auto has an 18 certificate in Britain but is popular with much younger teenagers, especially boys.
------------

As reported here: http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=444500

Kibbles-N-Bits

Dec 7, 1999
This entire lawsuit appears to be based on the stupidity of two kids who are unwilling to take responsibility for thier actions... oh and their parents would like to be rich as well. :rolleyes:

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
I've played plenty of violent video games (and the GTA series has always been a favorite - ever since the first PC release, which has been re-released as freeware by Rockstar as an aside)...

And I still haven't killed anyone yet.

This is what I hate the most about where the world is going. No one wants to take responsibility for their actions. Wether it's idiot kids that kill people and blame it on GTA or a dumb woman that spills hot coffee on her crotch and sues McDonalds, we're all going to hell in a handbasket.

Maybe I should sue the stupid people of the world for making my life miserable?

Matthew

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
"selling more than 20 million copies in the past five years"
thats like 19,999,992 more potential murderers out there

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
When are people gonna realize that there are dumb phucks out there who even if tied to a chair they would end up doing some harm. You cant control everyones actions, it makes me sick to think that their parents didnt know that the children were that influential and dumb. maybe if the parents took more intrest in the childrens lives and looked at the behavior maybe this wohle thing could ahve been avoided.....ugh the world just gets dumb and dumberer :rolleyes: .

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
What really pisses me off, almost as much as the idea that video games alone causes all kids to become murderers, is that these idiotic f*cktards had to say they're copying GTA3, which only sent the anti video-games crowd into a frenzy :mad:

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Stupidity. Parents doesn't give a **** about their kids anymore, 14 and 16 year old playing 18 yrs rated game..
probably not supervised. Like, I let my 9 year old kid play games but I do keep tabs on what she plays and in what way. For instance, yesterday she played Colin Mcrae 4, and when she started to just crash and stuff, I explained to her "things" and she started to try to stay on track etc...ok bad example. Anyway, she has seen Vice city, when I have played and I made damn sure she understood what it was about..I bet that these kids parents didn't give a flying fukc about what the kids where doing...
And how do young people like that get their hands on weapons?? How come the kids were able to play by some freeway/road?? Something else doesn't match up either, they stated they got bored, even if they got GTA to play with :)

I guess it is only natural to blame things on a game instead of the lack of parents supervision etc...

//Kee

Kids having access to weapons...

Feb 26, 2001
England
Its takes the piss, the parents and the kids should be counter sued for being inbred dumb fu<ks, in fact just put them in a mental instituation, as they dont belong in the real world. Muppets.

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
It's the VICTIM's families who are suing the game developer. Funny thing that, I'd think that suing the criminals who did the shooting was number one?

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
Nightmare you don't "sue" criminals. Suing is only for money.
Anyway, I wish game developers and publishers moved to Caiman Islands or some other remote place so that they can still make and sell games after they get banned from the USA :p

C22-Mort

Oct 22, 2002
www.c-22.org
There's always the other explanation! That there are actually the odd wacko person out there who is succeptable to theviolence in video games and movies!

Maybe GTA was actually to blame for these horrible incidents, okay these kids are fekkin idiots but if they were actually acting out scenes from GTA, then maybe if they hadn't played it they wouldn't have happened!
However there's no telling what they might have done instead! Still, banning violent video games and movies isn't the answer!

Maybe they'd have played MS Midtown Madness, which would have one of three results :-
1> They would drive a car around their downtown area, seeing what shops they could actually drive into :D
2> They'd have become incredibly angry at how crap the game is and had the irresitable urge to kill somebody!
3> They'd have died of boredom!:D

We could all blame our any of our actions away on some experience we have had, maybe justifiably so, but as human beings those are (normally) reasoned out before before we act!

[Edit] As an idea of how bad things are getting, in the UK a man named Tony Martin has just finished a prison sentence for shooting two robbers (Killed one narrowly missed the other unfortunately) he found in his farm for (he had been burgled loads of times and the police could do nothing).
Anyway the surviving burglar was suing him for damages because he couldn't have a fulfilling sex-life, and he got legal-aid to fight the case for him :mad:

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
dude, shooting at anybody (including robbers) makes you a criminal. life > stuff. you can buy your stuff back (that's what insurance is for), but not a life.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I put on an effeminate tank top and blew up some giant robots, the other day. I wonder if I can sue Japan...

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
Hasnt there been several of these cases before in the US? Surely there has been a legal precedent set by now? Or is it a case of needing to set one in each State?

Surely there is no law that makes the media responsible for influencing killers?

"There has been a wealth of research to show that children's brains process these video games in a different way from adults'. They cannot differentiate between fantasy and reality, so they play these games and then think if they do the same thing in reality, it's OK, there will be no consequences."
What a crock of utter bull****.

And we the tax payers get to pay for part of this.

GNAT

Jan 4, 2001
WWW.TeamMuf.COM
aren't there 10 movies for every game that contains illegal activities? If I burry my head in cocaine, and die of a heart attack can I sue the makers of scarface?

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
1) its an 18 rated game and they were under 18, which isnt the game companies fault
2) since when did the army train with doom, LOOK OUT PRIVATE JENKINS THERES HUGE FLOATING HEAD SPITTING FIRE AT YOU AT 12 O CLOCK

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
Freon said:
dude, shooting at anybody (including robbers) makes you a criminal. life > stuff. you can buy your stuff back (that's what insurance is for), but not a life.

Sorry, Freon, but defending your family or even your goods doesn't make you a criminal. It's a lot more complex than that. Of course if someone unarmed illegally enter in your house and you rip their arms off with a spoon, ok maybe you're a criminal too ;)

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
If someone enters my house to steal, let's say, my TV set, and I shoot him, then it doesn't have anything to do with "defending my family". it's even the opposite ;) I don't give a shit if someone steal my stuff. it's not like I'll miss it (well expect my computer maybe :D). That's simply doesn't justify killing robbers. It only shows how sellfish that guy was.

Anyway,
2) since when did the army train with doom, LOOK OUT PRIVATE JENKINS THERES HUGE FLOATING HEAD SPITTING FIRE AT YOU AT 12 O CLOCK
They probably used a modified version (there is a great spec ops TC called The Twilight Zone). or used the vanilla Deathmatch to train their reflexes.

Last edited:

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
parents need to teach their kids to differentiate between fiction and reality. its that simple. i cannot think of any well balanced individual that would be influenced in this way by a game. and its no use getting all pissed off because those who are in some way mentally unstable or simply not taught some simple things are influenced by a game. if we decided to follow that you could ban anything 'well what if somebody sees the telletubbies and tries to install a television set in their stomach'. what if somebody interprets the 9 o clock news as a call to go and bomb the living **** out of a load of third world countries.

i hate this sort of stuff.