Interest and/or help with a series of training movies?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have this idea, and I'd like to know if #1 there is interest in it, and #2 if people would be willing to help.

Basically what it is is that I want to make the trick jump training's into videos that you can download so you don't have to watch demos and you only see the relevant parts.

So far I have been working on the Super Boost Dodge. I went into Geothermal and didn't just show a boost dodge, but showed HOW a super boost dodge could be used effectively. I will post some clips as soon as I am to a point where I think I can show it off.

What I would need help with is either a list of trick jumps and other things I should make clips of, or people to make their own clips and send them to me. Note that this isn't an awesome moves video or anything, although things like the dropping combo from dim (not the same thing bu similar) would be fine. I basically just want some things to help all the new players out there figure out the movement system faster than waiting until someone like me comes along and says "Do you know all the trick jumps?"

So any help is welcome, and also interest levels...do you all think this would be helpful? I will do any narration that isn't done for me. Meaning if you just fraps a 10 second clip with no narration, I will do it. I'm thinking of just saying things like how to execute the moves, how to know that you've done them right, etc.

[Ci]Necro

Dec 8, 2002
www.clanci.net
If thats the video i saw, it wasnt really done as well as it could be... he altered his binds to write the keypresses to screen, after a while, the whole screen was nothing but:

LEFT STRAFE <PRESS>
LEFT STRAFE <RELEASE>
JUMP <PRESS>
JUMP<RELEASE>
ETC...

i'd love to help, in both the moves and the assembly... i have a bunch of usefull boosts in almost all of the br maps, and a few in ctf maps as well...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Awesome. All you need to do is make short clips and compress them. As long as they are 640x480 AVIs...and you can figure out how to compress them into DivX5.05 which isn't really very hard. If you need a link to a DivX compressor just let me know.[edit]If you can upload them here that would be nice, or if someone has some web space we can use until the videos are done, or my web space is set up on my friends T1 which should be in a month or so. Also you can catch me on IRC and we can try to good old DCC thing. I idle in FragBU when I have time :)

The difference is that I want narration. I don't just want to show the moves (although I will have videos just showing the moves) I want to help people figure out how to do them, the easiest places to practice them, and the usefulness of them in game.

I'm just to the point where it's like, we shouldn't have all these people that don't know how to do all this stuff. I can't tell you how many times I have had someone say to me "I didn't know you could do all this stuff in the game!" and they didn't even know what dodging was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Unreal Movement 101

I was actually about to suggest something like this, so I'm glad someone's on the same wavelength on this one :tup:

It'd be nice to have any series of training movies to cater for the new players as well as the experienced ones. Stuff about good use of the dodge jump and wall dodges (even the double jump) would be great for new players. Tips on where to use them, and where not to use them.

I'd be more than happy to help with this, I'll even try some narration if needed.

Maddeh

Aug 19, 2003
SLC
www.goodgameogc.com
What would be helpful in particular is showing where in what maps you can do useful jumps. Anaxi's video showed some useful jumps in some DDOM maps, it would be cool to see where to use some of the tricks in CTF maps.

If I come up with anything remotely worthwhile, I'll be sure and pass it on to you Brizz. :D

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
anaxi's video is wonderfull. It's somewhat hard but eventually you figure out what he's pressing when. Now I can hit a jump boostdodge whenever I want. It also shows how the moves can be usefull.

The only thing we can do in teaching jumps and movement anaxi didn't is to show particular ones in CTF maps and to show actual video of the person's hand as they press the key or have a diagram with all the keys and when he presses them they light up (someone like they did in soulcalibur1 to show you how to do moves).

If you haven't viewed his movie you should look at it. It's completely different compared to what I was told. In stead of doing forward jump forward really fast I just push both buttons at the same time twice really fast. This makes it much more consistant and makes impact hammer boost jumps easier too.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
1. give us a link

2. Does anyone have some web spce I can borrow for probably approximately 3 9mb clips?

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Great idea Brizz!! :tup: I really like the idea of including places they are actually useful, I can only think of a few and would love to hear more.

Anyways, I can host the videos for ya. :D I will be in #FragBu later or you can always find me on the messenger of your choice. :D

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
You guys really need to see anaxi's vid. The problem is I just don't see anything new here. Anaxi's vid shows you moving around faster with the dodge jump walldodges boostjumps hammer jumps and hammer boost jumps. The video has narration and it shows you how these moves can be usefull. Unless you can come up with something nobody else has done this just won't be worth it, and showing jumps that you can do in CTF maps just wont' cut it.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
this isn't a complain about how gay this is thread. If you want to do that start your own. Give us ideas or something don't just say dumb things similar to "I si teh l337 0wnz0rz. iEa will r0x0rz j00 h0!"

So far you're the only person that thinks I SHOULDN'T do this, and the only person that hasn't offered to help if at all possible. I'm fine watching his movie and doing things differently than him...whatever...but the fact that there are still so many new people that don't know the moves means that his movie didn't "tajke off" as I hope these will.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
i R +eh |337 pl4y3r, ph34r m3!!! :lol:

ANYWAYS TWD, I followed that link, but couldn't find anywhere to download that video. I got sick of wading through Prounreal anyways, all they ever do is flame eachother. Oh well. Do you have another link for that video that anaxi made? I would like to see it, it sounds cool.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
jump, dodge, jump, jump, dodge, shield, jump, dodge, dodge, fall in lava...

The vid TWD is talking about is useful (it taught me to boost dodge), but it's quite narrow in it's focus. Something that would be a lot wider in scope is showing the full range of trick jumps, and a wide variety of "real world" situations where they're useful (which is most important in CTF and DM maps).

The only problem with me helping out is that my video editing skills are non exsistant. But I can do some demos if you want. I'm more of a DM player, so if you need someone to do DM map demos, lemme know :)

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
TWD said:
In stead of doing forward jump forward really fast I just push both buttons at the same time twice really fast. This makes it much more consistant and makes impact hammer boost jumps easier too.

So you just basically hammer both keys at the same time?

Does that really work?

And does that also work with the much touted wall/boost (whatever..) dodge, ie:

left-jump-left or right-jump-right?

I CANNOT do that ^^^^ while holding the forward key, my hands just aren't flexable enough.

I can probably manage to pound both or all three if need be..

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Hanover, that does work. In fact, I recommend it. Here is how I boost dodge.

Stand w/ a wall on your left. Start hitting "right" and "jump" together at the same time really fast. (just mash 'em! ;) ) 99% of the time you will boost dodge.

You can also do this while holding forward. That is how you boost dodge to the 50 Shield in Asbestos.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Great idea Brizz! :tup:

TWD - there are thousands of books written on how to lose weight. Just because someone else has done it, does that mean that someone else shouldn't do one as well?

A few reasons why I feel this video is a good idea: 1) it's a BuF product, 2) can be made better than previous videos, 3) gives the UT2k3 world another video to use, no just scour for one specific video.

The more resources, the better. Thanks a million for your efforts to help the community, Brizz. I don't know if there's any way I can help, but if so, let me know.