Final thread on plasma gun hate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yah but the worst is tht the bots can shoot it sideways and it throws you off cliffs!!!!!!

It was better in the demo when the bullets were 100 times your size and hit anything that moved. I used to get alot of kills with it back then.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
It was too spammy then, hence epic reduces it's size "by popular demands". :p
All I want is the straighten beam, right now it's the lowest rank weapon during 1on1 and tdm, maybe ctf too dunno don't play much(ctf). :/

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think that if you ballanced it right they could turn the link gun into a potent close range weapon. Right now it's use is to just shoot really far off and spam them while you find something else. If you made it powerfull but hard to hit them from far away that would make things better. So you'd have to decrease projectile size increase power and perhaps even slow down the projectile. If it was about 1.5 times more damage it might work.

Biggest thing though is they should make it easier to link. I mean it should be like rediculously easy. If you screw up the chain you have to be really sucky and stuff.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
so 30 damage per primary shot isn't enough or something? Funny, it was in UT.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Learn to lead it, and you will love it. Alt has push functionality and is a good close range finisher. More efficient IMO then mini, easier to see that you are hitting, and adjust etc...

Mid range, leading it for at least 50% accuracy is very realistic on a descent ping. Ever land 4 in a row? It hurts people. Land 5 out of 8 holding it down, and people rarely survive.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
TWD said:
Yeah but it shot a lot faster in ut, but then come to think of it I didn't find the plasma gun in ut1 particularly usefull either.

The UT plasma was frickin' deadly. You just haven't seen anyone use it correctly. :D

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
Primary fire works great, the problem is it obscures your vision of UT2003's (teeny tiny) targets, so you often can't tell if your hitting or not.

Alt fire works great when bots use it. They seem to know the sawing trick. I can kill with it, but I prefer most other weapons.

It a good intermediate weapon though. I wouldn't want every weapon to be as deadly as the flak cannon.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Metakill said:
Primary fire works great, the problem is it obscures your vision of UT2003's (teeny tiny) targets, so you often can't tell if your hitting or not.

Agreed. I like the plazma, but, yeah, the bright bursts on the primary fire can make it difficult to see.

I somewhat associate the plasma primary as a halfway point between the mini and the flak - has a higher fire rate, but each blast does fairly good damage. I use the primary in tight corridors. Throw a stream of plasma balls down a hall at your enemy, and more than likely you'll get a kill. This is also a very good cover fire weapon (those of you who've played with me know that I try to do a lot of this).

I rarely use the stream (alt fire). I guess it's do to my high ping. The only time I really use it is for linking, and then you never see that on pubs.

Sekhmet

the Destroyer
Oct 16, 2001
Memphis, Egypt
www.carpeimperium.com
What the bots do with it makes no sense really.. it's a bit unrealistic :).
I hardly use the link, it's not very useful in CTF imo.. but I'm not a big fan of the instahit weapons with a high rate of fire in this game anyway, I hardly use the minigun :). I agree that it has its uses, but I've never seen someone be actually good with it.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
In UT, I found it a bit hard to hit someone with, because of the speed of the beams, but however I did learn that firing it down a hallway or leading it will kill them fast. I never played online in UT2k3, but the beams are a bit big. I never really linked up much, so I don't know what to say about that.

BTW, how come the Flak Cannon and Rocket Launcher HAVE to be more powerful then the other weapons :confused: ?

Edit: I know it says final thread on plasma gun hate, but it could happen again in like a couple of months from now sadly.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
It's funny to me that the Link isn't used all that much anymore.

I used to hound the servers with my "LINK GUN ON ME" bind, and on this forum (when I first got here) I used to talk about it all the time.

I was spectating a server in what seemed like ages ago and saw Flame{KDS} and [Ci]Prophetus playing together, and the map had a narrow corridor with the flag at the end, and they were linking up and just spamming away.....there was no way you were gonna get thier flag.......

Nobody links anymore.....I guess everyone just got so good that they are a one man army now........

That's a good thing I guess.......

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Odd, I forget about it, but have been playing TDM more lately then DM, and this one day, low grav BR-Anubis on a demo server, this guy on my team, noticed I was leading (by a lot), and just started linking me. Most fun I'd had in a while. People just gotta think about it.

I don't see how you couldn't find a use for it in CTF. Push is manipulation. No better way to keep control of an opponent, then putting him where you want him.

The other night, was playing some farily competative TDM, and was going at it in the 100a room with this guy, farily armored up, I was at 100. We traded fire for a bit, and after I made him bleed, he angled for the boost dodge up to the armor, to re-up, so I pulled link, got on the other side, and pushed him back right off it. He ran away, but he armor was mine after he left.

Stuff like this is where your mind need to be with the link. Forced suicide in TDM is as good as a frag. Can't tell you how often I push people off plunge with shock or link. Keeping people at bay when they try to get in your grill with rox or flak. You can render those weapons useless if they can't get in close to use them well.

Key thing is not to focus on damage with the beam. Finish, or function. The bolts is all about lead.