Combat 3000

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SeekerSK

Jul 7, 2002
Canada
www.combatmaps.com
Hi guys! Some of you may remember that Excelsiore had made a little mod called Future Strike. Well, the two of us have joined forces and have gone ahead with work on a ut2k3 total conversion called Combat 3000 (C3K for short). You can check out our site here: http://www.combat3000.com

Infiltration is a big influence in our gameplay, so I think you guys might be interested. It isn't modern real world though, so if futuristic stuff turns you off, its not going to be your cup of tea.

But if it is, we're looking for more developers... coders, weapons modellers, texture artists, whatever.

I didn't mention level designers on our news page because I wanted to extend the invitation exclusively to INF mappers for now. The reason being I know you guys already know what kind of gameplay we're looking for, and I know there's some good talent here.

If you're an interested mapper, go to our site, read about the gameplay and environments (under the About tab), and then contact me at seeker@combatmaps.com or post on our forums. Let me know what maps you've done in the past (for INF or ut2k3) and give me links if you can. Of course, I'll probably know who you are anyways, but just in case.

Take it easy guys.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Looks like a damned cool mod, and ambitious! And original too actually, I'm not aware of any other projects that will have tactical shooter gameplay in a sci-fi futuristic setting. So I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys do! :)

SeekerSK

Jul 7, 2002
Canada
www.combatmaps.com
Well Alpha, thats pretty much why we wanted to do it... I love INF and Americas Army, but I was getting a little tired of mapping the same old real world environments and I really just wanted to let my imagination go. So this mod is kind of a fix for my mapping urges.

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
FINALLY!!

I know I've been thinking constantly about a futuristic quasi-realistic MOD like Halo or something but with realistic gameplay.. I know Yurch been thinking about it too; we had almost the same ideas too! Bullpup rifles and hover tanks being stylized lightskinned trasnport.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Sweet! Someone posted awhile back looking for direction in their weapons mod and I said they should go for futuristic realism because it will be fun and very original. I am glad you guys are headed in that direction. BTW, I can do some skins for you guys, maybe textures. I will post my skin of an INF imperial stormtrooper when I am done with it.

Lastly, if you are looking for ideas on futuristic weapons, I suggest looking at the Warhammer 40,000 universe. Lots of good ideas there.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Sounds like something I was thinking of. Too bad I don't have the time + inf.

Although it seems I was intending more along the vehicular by the looks of it anyway. Good luck.

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Ill do a map or too, but Ill need more info about the game universe and crap. Like, are the planets (ie: the astriod belt) have low gravity? I need some mental pictures of what stuff looks like. Email me at OpFor@mail.com if you want an extra map or two.

SeekerSK

Jul 7, 2002
Canada
www.combatmaps.com
We're holding off on low gravity for now. Once we get to our 3rd gametype, Warzone, then I think we'll explore that along with some other hazardous environments. For now, let's just say they've made a great leap in science and made star trek gravity nullifiers :p

I'm working on more concept art... so something in there should give you a better idea of what we're looking for.

http://www.nineplanets.org/

There's some info about the moons that we're using. In our game, the moons are terraformed... but we're looking to capture something that's somewhere in between the harsh landscapes they currently have, and our image of perfect earth.

Fat Marrow was discussing Io for example. Io is a pretty brutal planet with rivers of liquid sulfur and volacanoes and the like. We decided to go ahead with the idea that Io is still a pretty nasty environment outside the domed cities. But the cities themselves are utopias. Should make for an interesting contrast.

We don't have any hard rules at the moment, in regard to the environments. We're developing as we go. If you have an idea, just go for it.

SeekerSK

Jul 7, 2002
Canada
www.combatmaps.com
Will do One... but I need an icq # :D I lost all my numbers in a reformat a few weeks back.

You guys can check out a few screens of my Mars map in progress at http://www.combat3000.com

Fat Marrow will have some shots of his Callisto map soon I think too. He's gonna have an awesome skybox, I've seen the mock up already. The architecture should be quite nice too... he's got an interesting idea that should look great when it's done.

Alpha_9

Infiltration lead level designer
Jun 1, 2000
Washington State
Very nice! If I have any time between the release of 2.9 & work on our next project, I may go ahead & contribue a map myself. I've always wanted to do a moon-of-Saturn setting, but somehow in INF that wouldn't quite work would it. :D

jasdave

Mar 16, 2002
Visit site
The game will still be realistic though right?
Iron sites? A stamina system? No Bunny Hopping? "ACTUAL* Real World Damage?
This certainly will be fun to play :).

SeekerSK

Jul 7, 2002
Canada
www.combatmaps.com
There isn't a stamina system planned at the moment. But bunny hopping shouldn't be a factor. Heavy armor can't jump at all, and you can't fire while jumping period. Also, there's a slight delay after a jump before you can fire again (which will be tweaked, but say a .5 second). If that doesn't discourage the bunny hoppers, than we'll do a stamina system on top of that.

But I wouldnt expect either bunny hopper counter measures in the first release cause we're fast tracking as it is. Unfortunately, the mod was officially started on the same day the Make Something Unreal Contest started. So we're way behind compared to a lot of other mods. I don't think we'll make the first phase (July 15th), but we are shooting to enter the second phase on Oct 20th. So that's the planned first public release. Cross your fingers.

Of course, an extra coder would help :p