kinda interesting read

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Updated!
http://www.unrealops.com/ut2-weapons-preview.htm

Including new info:
We also learned that the Translocator is going through some changes. At this moment they are working on a "limited" use version of the TL from UT. While the TL discussion is still very much alive on several North American forums, the Euros seem to be a little more open to the idea of change.

mmss|mud - how about the spin up, spin down time with the mini?

DE - it's pretty fast in primary fire mode, secondary spins up slower I think but it will be firing explosive shells. We're discussing that right now too.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
yumm....well when UT2 is released i'm not going to play with hidden weapons straight away. love that eye candy. :)

a 'limited' version of the xloc sounds a bit worrying. i do hope they think deeply about any changes and listen to what players have to say.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by gramps
i do hope they ... listen to what players have to say.
Dito!

In a recent poll on INA with more than 200 votes 40% of the people wanted the TL to be toned down or deleted alltogether. These 40% should not be ignored.

The TL is very obviously flawed. As people had gotten used to it in UT it was too late to correct it in UT. But now we are making a fresh start with a new game, which gives us a chance to turn the TL into a well-balanced tool. Go for it, DE! :):tup:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
There's no doubt that Translocating has turned into an art-form, and that people either love it or hate it. While I personally enjoy the flexibility in movement that the x-loc provides, I think that many matches degenerate into who can shock combo the most x-loc beacons. :hmm: Sounds like skeet-shooting, doesn't it?

Ultimately I believe that the right thing to do is to slow the rate of fire, or use the charge/use method of limiting its use. The balance is tilted a little too far in favor of one weapon in UT.... the x-loc.

I'm like you, Tetris, I think that DE is really showing their class by listening to what players are saying and making gutsy choices to balance gameplay.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
The TL is very obviously flawed.
hmm it isn't that obvious to me. i see your point, but it's in UT quite easy to eliminate someone who's (ab)using the xloc. and if the balance is tilted in favor of one weapon i'd sooner say it's the shock rifle. imho.

if 40% says the xloc should be changed this should not be ignored, i agree. but the 60% who apparently don't want it to change should also not be ignored. so if DE can end up with an xloc that is somewhere in the middle of what both 'sides' want that should be acceptable for everybody.

i'd rather see no limit in xloc, but if it has to be limited i'd rather see a limit in the amount of times you can use the xloc than for example a slower xloc, or one that doesn't go as far.

say you can xloc 10 times and then it needs to recharge, the amount of uses slowly increasing with 1 untill 10 is reached. if it'll be something like this i think i could live with that. :) this is all speculation of course. we'll just have to see.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
A TL that is exactly like the TL in UT, except with recharging ammo (like the dispersion pistol in U1), is perfectly fine for me. The recharge rate would be subject to game balance tweaking. I trust DE will get it right.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Originally posted by Tetris L
A TL that is exactly like the TL in UT, except with recharging ammo (like the dispersion pistol in U1), is perfectly fine for me. The recharge rate would be subject to game balance tweaking. I trust DE will get it right.

That would be perfect imo.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The TL is very obviously flawed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone but me that found this somewhat amusing? ;)

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
Originally posted by hal
There's no doubt that Translocating has turned into an art-form, and that people either love it or hate it. While I personally enjoy the flexibility in movement that the x-loc provides, I think that many matches degenerate into who can shock combo the most x-loc beacons. :hmm: Sounds like skeet-shooting, doesn't it?

Ultimately I believe that the right thing to do is to slow the rate of fire, or use the charge/use method of limiting its use. The balance is tilted a little too far in favor of one weapon in UT.... the x-loc.

I'm like you, Tetris, I think that DE is really showing their class by listening to what players are saying and making gutsy choices to balance gameplay.

I've played in many clan matches, and watched many more including some 1337:rolleyes: clans. I've never seen TL abuse :( I've seen it on pubs once and a while. But it's nothing that ruins the flow of the game.
The day I see a one team completely dominate another team, using only the TL, will I beleive there is something wrong with it.:D

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I truly feel two ways about the x-loc. One part of me loves the uniqueness, flexibility, and speed that it brings to the game. The other part of me hates that instead of shooting other players, I'm shooting flying discs. :hmm:

I think that RealCTF got it right when they limited the beamer via a charge (like Unreal's dispersion pistol) and allowed the mobility... but at a price... and with a limit.

I don't think that the x-loc dominates UT by any means. I'd just like to see more players and fewer beacons.

Call it a mild annoyance, to which I believe there is a good compromise. :)

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
There's one way to deal with it...

Change it(change can be good). However have a TL mutator that allows it to be used the old fashioned way. So if the Euro's adore the new TL but the Americans don't you can choose between them.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by CrazyCougar|BuF
There's one way to deal with it...

Change it(change can be good). However have a TL mutator that allows it to be used the old fashioned way. So if the Euro's adore the new TL but the Americans don't you can choose between them.

The nice thing about the Unreal Engine is that even if it gets shipped off without a TL or a mutator, someone will code a mute for it in like a week...

rgx

mutes rock

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
I would agree with hal, in that I enjoy the flexibility in gameplay that the TL allows, but I always feel like its being used differently than Epic intended.

Thankfully, the TL never destroyed UT gameplay, and complaints about TL-abuse aren't rampant. But I wouldn't mind seeing a return to what UT was like without every map being crossed with rapid TL use.

Definitely a love and hate relationship. But I have faith that DE can create a compromise for the best.