UE3 - General New normal mapping tool

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Pfhoenix

Programmer Extraordinaire
Dec 17, 1999
mep.beyondunreal.com
Ladies, gentlemen, and artists of all ages,

I have released a tool to assist in the creation and modification of normal maps - NormalMapper. It can generate normal maps off of surface textures or sprites, allow individual normal editing, do relational shape normal manipulation, or even selective normal regeneration.

I'd like any and all interested to try out NormalMapper and provide feedback. Know that it is not a replacement for xNormal, and has different features from CrazyBump and the nVidia plug-in, but it also does things that none of those do at all.

The URL is, once again, http://www.normalmapper.com. I am aware of the lack of screenshots on the site. If you give the program a shot and come up with something cool, I'd love to use it on the website for promotional purposes.

Pfhoenix

Dec 17, 1999
mep.beyondunreal.com
NormalMapper allows you to modify and work with the normals post-generation in a manner similar to a paint tool, only the normals are treated as 3d vectors, not color channels. You can selectively regenerate normals for selected pixels, shift or set pixels in shape related ways, and more.

NormalMapper isn't intended to replace model generated normal maps (that's always the ideal case). It's designed to work equally well with 3d surface textures as well as 2d sprites by allowing you to tweak and change existing or generated normal maps.

Also, it's at least half the price of CrazyBump.

Last edited:

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
Could explain the advantages of your program over crazy bump please.

Because crazy bump sucks :D

Well I dont know what it's like in this game,. but in source engine games it makes everything look like it's plastic with 10 layers of saran wrap on em.

Been using the nvidia normal map plug-in for photoshop, then tweaking the file myself.

Looking forward to trying this out :D
I havent looked yet but is the demo fully functional and timed or does it lack certain features?

Last edited:

Pfhoenix

Dec 17, 1999
mep.beyondunreal.com
The demo version is fully featured and limited to 15 days evaluation. Version 1.2 was released recently; a significant improvement over the prior release.