Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That's a beautiful picture Biohazard. Haven't seen too many crocus around here yet, but hopefully they'll soon pop up :)

These should start showing up soon aswell. I saw one this morning, so I'm gonna go take a look tomorrow.

Last edited:

El JuaKo

Fear the Mariachi
Dec 13, 2003
4443970469_fc6dee1d50_b.jpg

central station

4444708552_1d762c2bb6_b.jpg

botanical gardens

4443939517_b940394ce8_b.jpg

i love decay :)

4443958005_c5b77f5f56_b.jpg

4444737062_37d3b9ec79_b.jpg

4444701824_bc5d2ddd26_b.jpg

some shots around sydney playing with hdr.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I really like that last picture. I have an auto-bracketing option in my camera, which I can use to take pictures with different exposures, but so far my HDR endeavours have been unsuccesful. You are using a tripod I assume?

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I'm pretty sure that you can get programs that will make HDR images out of JPEGs, so it's pretty feasible that you could do it with a P&S.

El JuaKo

Fear the Mariachi
Dec 13, 2003
I really like that last picture. I have an auto-bracketing option in my camera, which I can use to take pictures with different exposures, but so far my HDR endeavours have been unsuccesful. You are using a tripod I assume?

my tipod is broken so at the moment no im not, but as long as you take the pictures fairly quickly (as for exambe in not letting the clouds move too much by taking the 3 exposures as fas as you can)photomatix pro will work since it aligns pis fairly well.
my main grip with photoshop is it creates artifacts in the clouds more often, and you get a lot less options till you go to levels and 16 bit mode

i recomend to start with a single raw file with 3 different exposures whatever you try since it wotn have ghosting and you can experiment with the settings a bit

Last edited:

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
You don't necessarily need a tripod to take a HDR shot. If you have any old stable surface it'lls work just fine ofcourse, but i guess you know that

[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100608&stc=1&d=1269024248[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://forums.beyondunreal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=100610&stc=1&d=1269027750[/SCREENSHOT]
These shots i took free hand.

If you can't get a tripod you could always try the "Piece of string" strategy.
A simple method as looping the string around your foot and the other end around the lens can do the job. It's not perfect ofcourse...

I wonder, would it be possible to pull off HDR properly with a P&S?

There are lots of tutorials online to "fake" HDR using a single well exposed photo but as long as you have control over the aperture or an equivalent you can probably do it... but only on very still, well-lit subjects i'd imagine.(Not that it's every great for anything that moves)

Attachments

• sher-HDR-08.jpg
    sher-HDR-08.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 69
  • holes-hdr-04.jpg
    holes-hdr-04.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I think HDR is sort of cliche. It can be a cool way to get a load of detail or a dreamy/surreal feel and such, but it almost seems sometimes people to use it because the photo wouldn't look interesting without it. You see a lot of high school amateurs intentionally blowing it out of proportion and making their pictures look almost as lame as overexposed shots.

I love detail and image fidelity, but sometime it just makes the image too distracting and chaotic too. Maybe I'm just biased, being a huge fan of abstract and simplicity and all.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I've never been a big fan of HDR, tbh I think it's dumb. Maybe it's because like NRG says, it's cliched now and you see the internet spewed with HDR pics, most are terrible and completely uninteresting. Just because it's HDR doesn't mean that it's any good.

I dunno.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I rarely see anyone that claims to be a big fan of HDR in truth.

I think HDR is sort of cliche. It can be a cool way to get a load of detail or a dreamy/surreal feel and such, but it almost seems sometimes people to use it because the photo wouldn't look interesting without it. You see a lot of high school amateurs intentionally blowing it out of proportion and making their pictures look almost as lame as overexposed shots.

I love detail and image fidelity, but sometime it just makes the image too distracting and chaotic too. Maybe I'm just biased, being a huge fan of abstract and simplicity and all.

I've given up on it myself tbh. I'm no good at the post-processing of HDR(which is required) I always overcook it so it looks as you describe.

that said the really good HDR images are the ones where you can't tell it's HDR... but then similarly an image that's well exposed in the first place is usually the best bet.

HDR has it's place I think but I've not taken oa bracketed shot in about 6 months i think. That said i think it's a technique that should be tried before judged, as with all techniques.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
HDR pictures can be practical for reflection maps in 3D graphics and tourist brochures, but as an actual art, I don't think HDR has much to say. Sometimes pictures of the sky in HDR can look really cool though.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
HDR will probably go out of fashion eventually. I've never bothered with it as it just seems like one of those 'I'm not very skilled so I'll process the **** out of my photo's things. It can be good if it isn't overdone though like in El JuaKo's photos. It actually looks good there because it isn't over exaggerated and looks fairly natural.