Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Eh, I thought the movie was pretty crap when I saw it, I even saw the directors cut on dvd. :hmm: I can't bust out any crits cause I don't remember much but I can tell you I didn't enjoy it much and some parts were even a pain to watch. ><

Last edited:

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Deathnote

Hard to say anything about this film without spoiling it for any prospective viewers. Personally I found it entertaining but predictable, sometimes too predictable. The only parts I didn't see coming were the "comedy part" in the general store and part of the ending (I knew it would end something like that I just wasn't sure how exactly).

Oh; Certain special effects suffered from the usual Japanese tendency to put too much emphasis on *coolness and style, to the point of gross overstyling.
*Whatever the director thinks will appeal to the kids it seems.

5/10
Good but nothing to get hyped up over.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Eh, I thought the movie was pretty crap when I saw it, I even saw the directors cut on dvd. :hmm: I can't bust out any crits cause I don't remember much but I can tell you I didn't enjoy it much and some parts were even a pain to watch. ><

You're out of your mind. Only real downside IMO is that Oldman overacts, but that's what the director wanted, an over the top psychotic criminal.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Well like I said I can't crit certain parts because I don't remember it much but one of my main ones is that the whole movie was pretty much shamelessly cashing in on the "little girl assassin" idea and the parts that put an emphasis on that were the parts that made me cringe the most. For example that one scene were she was dressed up all skimpy and dancing around doing that guessing game. WTF?

Seriously, I've seen animes that sound like they have a worse concept than that but they were actually good imo. :(

Deathnote

Hard to say anything about this film without spoiling it for any prospective viewers. Personally I found it entertaining but predictable, sometimes too predictable. The only parts I didn't see coming were the "comedy part" in the general store and part of the ending (I knew it would end something like that I just wasn't sure how exactly).

Oh; Certain special effects suffered from the usual Japanese tendency to put too much emphasis on *coolness and style, to the point of gross overstyling.
*Whatever the director thinks will appeal to the kids it seems.

5/10
Good but nothing to get hyped up over.

Umm, did you know about or see the anime it was based on? Can't blame the live action movie's director for that stuff. :p I thought the anime was fkin awesome (especially the first quarter) and I loved the "coolness" and style they put into it, that's a huge part of anime though. Yeah, I never watched the movies though cause they were complete low quality rip offs and they even fked with the story. :shake:

Last edited:

Nines

With Rage Alive
Oct 12, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, if you're going to enjoy Death Note, you need to watch the anime or read the manga. The anime is very good and very intense.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Well like I said I can't crit certain parts because I don't remember it much but one of my main ones is that the whole movie was pretty much shamelessly cashing in on the "little girl assassin" idea and the parts that put an emphasis on that were the parts that made me cringe the most. For example that one scene were she was dressed up all skimpy and dancing around doing that guessing game. WTF?

WTF indeed. The guessing game was a great scene. Lightened up an otherwise serious scene of all work and no play. And Leon trying to pull off John Wayne was great!

And the emphasis was on the relationship between Leon and Mathilda, not on Mathilda becoming an assassin.

I remember the first time I saw Leon, and the whole "skirting on the edge of pedophilia" theme made me feel a bit awkward at first, but I was a lot younger when it came out. But when you watch the whole movie you realize that their relationship is more of a mentor/protege, father/daughter, family unit kind of thing than anything else. The real reason it seems WTF is the way Besson told the story. You know very little about Leon going in, and Matilda is very flirtatious as young teenage girls can be. So it's more of a reflection on the viewer than the movie itself, making you think treachery when there really isn't any.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Yeah, if you're going to enjoy Death Note, you need to watch the anime or read the manga. The anime is very good and very intense.

Oh yes indeed, Death Note is the best anime I've yet to see... totally ****ing awesome!

Anyway, Star Wars - The Clone Wars - 1/10, horrible plot, unimpressive animations, well. A total disaster! :mad:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Except in the original script they have sex and the movie was a bit more hardcore, Natalie's parents just didn't want her doing scenes like that. So the relationship was definitely like that. :p

Anyways, the subject material isn't what bothers me at all, it's the way the director has it play out I guess. The whole movie just feels like an excuse to glorify the relationship and instead of there being actual substance to the movie to make it a good movie he lets the iffy subject material do the work in bringing out the viewers emotions.

That's how I feel at least, I guess it's just a love it or hate it movie. :eek:

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Umm, did you know about or see the anime it was based on? Can't blame the live action movie's director for that stuff. :p I thought the anime was fkin awesome (especially the first quarter) and I loved the "coolness" and style they put into it, that's a huge part of anime though. Yeah, I never watched the movies though cause they were complete low quality rip offs and they even fked with the story. :shake:

Exactly. Excessive coolness and style for the sake of style works in Anime, sometimes I even feel slightly ripped-off if I watch an Anime that I feel is lacking coolness and style.
Sometimes it even works in live-action movies, like in the Mad Max movies or certain martial arts movies, but then again the over the top visual style works because it is done all the way through.
But in live-action Deathnote it almost feels like the special effects people, or whoever it was that was responsible for certain special effects, were totally cut off from the rest of the crew and the only communication was at the end of filming, when someone said "Right, put it in quick, this needs to ship in five minutes".

Oh, and yes I am aware of the Anime, I just think that there could have been a better way of doing things, a way that would not have completely broken the viewers immersion in the story every time certain special effects were on screen. Were it not for that I would have accepted the film completely, even the fact that the main characters were yet more pretty 18 year old boys with not so secret tendencies to wear eyeshadow and have fluffy hair.

[edit]

The coolness and style I'm complaining about is relating to a very specific (recurring) part of the film... unless you want me to spoil it for you you may have to be brave and watch it to fully understand what I am jabbering about. ;)

Last edited:

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
no matter what he'll challenge you to a box fight :rolleyes:

That reminds me of a quote from someones signature here at buf. Something about not arguing with idiots, cant relay it word by word but it made good sense.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Hellboy 2: 7.5/10

As a fan of the first film, having seen it multiple times, I was prepared for another situation where the sequel never lives up to the promise of the original.

This flick was pretty good though, with enough new plot devices and sub-plots to keep the whole thing reasonably fresh. In certain places I was reminded a bit of the Ghostbusters and Men in Black franchises the way the story played out but it was still a lot of fun with some great dialogue.