High ping in multiplayer

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GerbilJammer

Resident NOOb :D
Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
im gettin frustrated, i ping 350 to 400 and sometimes 20,000. im runnign win98se and have patch 436 for ut. what i want to know is am i supposed to change the max net tick rate to 1 (like in unreal 1) or leave it at 20.i've looked at every UT tweak site i could find, pleae help id hate to put a good game to waste:(

system specs: 350 mhz AMD K62
Voodoo 3000 AGP
supraexpress 56k Modem connecting @ 40k to 45 k

GerbilJammer

Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
Originally posted by GerbilJammer
im gettin frustrated, i ping 350 to 400 and sometimes 20,000. im runnign win98se and have patch 436 for ut. what i want to know is am i supposed to change the max net tick rate to 1 (like in unreal 1) or leave it at 20.i've looked at every UT tweak site i could find, pleae help id hate to put a good game to waste:(

system specs: 350 mhz AMD K62
Voodoo 3000 AGP
supraexpress 56k Modem connecting @ 40k to 45 k
Can't Turn a ho into a housewife:D

A_Huge_Sweaty_Baboon

The Baboon... HAS.... SPOKEN
Aug 12, 2000
My Groin Is Sore
Visit site
Hey
There are many solutions (well, not many)

Firstly, see if you can get your connection to run at 53,333 or 52,000

Even if you can't acheive that you can try my patented ping reducing techniques:
- I use all of these on my 56k

a) Only play in local servers (aka, the ones nearest your ISP). They will usually have the name of your isp (or name of a major isp you know you can join) and the lowest pings.

b) In UT > Preferences (via menu not console) > Network, set the lonely option there to IDSN rather than 56k, everyone who i have given this secret to has had a 15-50 ping drop. (But only while they play in local servers)

c) While playing online, go into the console (The ~ key usually) and type Netspeed 4000. This will up your modems horsepower while playing UT. 4000 is recommended by most people but you can go higher (i have it on 10000 but that is not recommended, stick with 4000-5000).

There you have it.
Feel free to send me money.

Kray

Time chaser
Sep 17, 2000
Fool's Paradise
utgallery.tripod.com
Don't be discouraged. I have an average 400-500 ping, which is still quite playable.

highping.jpg

The key for low ping is to play on the servers closest to your geographical location, you'll get your lowest ping there. The lowest ping I've got is 180, which is on the nearest server (there's no local servers where I live).

If, like me, you like to play on servers in far away lands, then be prepared for higher ping, and you'd have to adjust your playing style, like adjust your aiming (lead the target), anticipate the enemy movement and use spam weapons (RL, flak, shock). That'll help.

GerbilJammer

Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
I've tried all these thing, tried playuing on a local server and all but changing it to isdn, and still with a 200 ping or 400 it is choppy as hell. ive tweaked both ma modems as much as possible for the crsappy lines they have here in louisiana. even with a low ping it is choppy, do i change the net tick rate to 1 or leave it at 20 like in unreal 1 in the unreal tournament .ini? please i hope someone knows bout this. thats the question i really need answered, i bought a voodoo 3 3000 agp to speed up ma framerates to help me out ccause b4 i had a Real 3d starfighter PCI. and the thouroughput on ma poor scraghly 56 k modem is 4.5 to 4.9 and a real stable connection, i use bellsouth.net for an isp and they r real good bout their bandwidth. could it be cause they just changed all of their DNS servers? i hope i resolve this minor thing cause i love UT more than ne thing else :D and to kray, i have high ping but it is so unplayable. so bless all the HPB;s out there cause soon(i hope) we will have DSL in BFE Louisiana:)

GerbilJammer

Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
jus a lil extra for personal insight

if you have the time can some of yall check out ma ngWorldstats and tell me if i am an acceptable player or if i suck major ass even with ma massive lag, ma name in the worldstats is GerbilJammer. thanks guys and i have one more thing to say, i have come from the oldschool quake 1 community and i have to say the unreal and UT community is a more friendly place:)

A_Huge_Sweaty_Baboon

The Baboon... HAS.... SPOKEN
Aug 12, 2000
My Groin Is Sore
Visit site
Why dont you change it to ISDN?

What do you mean, choppy?

You mean you have the red icon of death often?
Or you see players sliding around?
Or you kill yourself often?

Or do you mean choppy as, you have a low frame rate and your image stutters?

The latter means you need a better copmuter but the former means you have a Sh1t ping

GerbilJammer

Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
chopy as in

i mean choppy as in i get the lil red disconnected icon alot, i bought a voodoo 3 300 agp to help ma framerastes and it has helped, but i get alotta lag and that lil red disconnect icon alot:( i kill maself alota cause ma games jumps from one sitation to another

GerbilJammer

Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
problem finally solved thanks to sweaty babboon

i get the sdame crappy ping, but moviung ma netspeed to 4000 has made it a lot more playable, i was oening in domination last ngiht and ng stats wasnt tracking ma stats thank you alot babboon you were a great help, hopefully we'll meet up and ill whoop you :p

GerbilJammer

Jan 25, 2001
Louisiana
well im glad sweaty killed 2 birds with 1 stone:) and i just got done playin a little bit and i was owning with no lag if ya want ill send you a screenshot and i was pinging an average of 300:D thabnks guys and may ma stats rise(if ngWorldstats ever decides to track ma stats soon)