UT installs but won't run (HP, Riptide SC)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I've already posted this on Troubleshooting a month ago but not much response. My brother is having trouble starting UT; it installs fine but he gets the following error message when starting to run the game after he picks the video card:

A fatal exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C188272E in VXD RIPTIDE(03) + 0000272E. The current application will be terminated. ... Press any key to continue.

Here are his system specs:

HP Pavilion P3-500
192 MB SDRAM
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI Video Card
Riptide Sound Card/Modem combination card
HP CD/RW burner
Maxtor ~13 GB HD
Cable modem

He has the latest drivers for his Voodoo card and the latest patch for his Riptide sound card. He has tried disabling sound and starting in safe mode, changing sound settings in UT.ini. I just told him to get a bottom-line Soundblaster Live! Value card and try again. But does anyone else have any other ideas that don't involve an upgrade? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

SkaarjMaster

P.S. - Quake3 Arena installs and plays fine on his system.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
It runs fine in safe mode without the sounds?
If so make sure he has hardware sound and 3d surround sound disabled.
The following does wierd stuff on my PC but I helped somebody else out once and their UT worked fine:
goto UT.ini and look under
[Galaxy.GalaxyAudioSubsystem]
UseDirectSound=True
Change that to false.
Back up your ini before doing this.
I'm assuming you guys are patched up to 436.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yes, he has the latest 436 patch installed and Bonus Pack 1. He has disabled all those sound features and it still does not run any way you slice it, in safe mode or regular. It just won't run at all. Does anyone have a riptide sound card and it does run? By the way, why would anyone have anything but a variety of the Soundblaster Live card? He may just have to get one.

In the meantime, any more ideas? Thank you.

SkaarjMaster

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
you know it might not be the sound.....you guys tried playing in D3d mode or open GL? Also try running it in software renderer.
Oh wait b4 anything try safe mode with everything disabled...or have you already done that?

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yes, tried in D3D, OpenGL, Software mode and safe mode with everything disabled. None of this works. Also, with an error message that mentions the sound card by name and it being a sound card that hardly any UT users have, it has to be the card.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Originally posted by SkaarjMaster
Yes, tried in D3D, OpenGL, Software mode and safe mode with everything disabled. None of this works. Also, with an error message that mentions the sound card by name and it being a sound card that hardly any UT users have, it has to be the card.
Hmm I'm outta ideas:(
You're probably right. might as well get a value SB live, it can never hurt to have a good sound card. Hope it fixes the issue.