Unreal Tournament Shelved For Several Years

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
The overall pessimistic attitude about the game didn't help it at all. You really can't argue with that.

I know. And I am not innocent in that department.
I really tried hard to like it (because I followed every little step in the games development and the fact that I really like UT and UT2004 and never let UT2003 down). It didn't work out for me in the end. I reinstalled UT3 2 times and even thought I found my online-ninche in UT3 with Greed and Betrayal. But after a few days it showed (at least to me) that the gametypes weren't as solid as thought at first glance.

So, I hope for a UT4 in a few years that appeals more to me. :)

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
I still think UT3 could have been a better game if Epic had focused on one platform instead of all 3

+1

I really believe UT3 would've been better if the PC format would have been the first & only priority. But, that's not where the money was, unfortunately.

as for UT3 (which i still think is the best of the series, even though my first love is still Unreal/UT) hope we get a nice big patch with an ECE type pack after the MSU contest is done like ut2k4 got...

I hate to rain on your parade, but if history is a precedent, Epic may have very well done their last update for UT3 with patch 2.1.

Last edited:

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
Keep one thing in mind. We are forever. Look at how long people had to wait for the Third installment in the Tiberium series for CNC and how people still make Red Alert. Tiberian sun and Red Alert 2 mods.

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
Or! because we're starving for coop games with replayability, and L4D provided exactly that.
I've spent far more hours in L4D and have had far more fun in it than HL2.

Wait...what? TF2 is coop and a lot better one to be honest. I've had more fun with any zombie mod out there for UT2004 than L4D, especially Killing Floor. But anyway, to each his own I guess...

Am I the only one who feels that the entire unreal series has been abandoned? The least they could do is release a 'remastered' unreal 1 and 2 with the new engine...

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
TF2 is just as competitive as it is coop. You play TF2 with and against mostly randoms, L4D is a much more viable when you have a small group of friends and just want to hang out together without 'competing'.

I've had much more luck pitching L4D to friends who aren't into gaming at all, and they have no freaking clue what "valve" is or why it's in the computer.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Well, I read through 170 posts in this thread... and this is the only conclusion in my mind:

deadhorse.jpg

I've said my thoughts before in a bunch of other very similar threads, so I'll TRY (and probably miserably fail) to keep it short.

1. UT3 was a failure only at one level, the community of players. Critically and financially, it at least broke even, if not profited. The last reliable sales figures we have are something around 1.5 million copies, and that was before Patch 2.0 and the steam sales. It wouldn't be surprising if Epic tacked on another million or so to that, which even at Steam's $13.99 sale price, would've netted them nearly another 14 million dollars.
  2. The game had VERY stiff competition. Three very big-name shooters (Crysis, TF2, COD4) all came out within a month either way of UT3, and of those, two competed directly with UT3's MP segment. They included a lot of things and features people looked for, while UT3 did not, so people jumped ship.
  3. The game did come, admittingly, with a bunch of really silly bugs and issues. Most of those got fixed by Patch 1.3 (and the ones that remained mostly got fixed by 2.0) but by then, most people had abandoned the game.
If Epic really didn't care about UT3, do you think they would've bothered getting to even Patch 2.0? Would we have had free weekends to get people into the game? Very few games that aren't Valve tend to have free weekends. When's the last time COD4 had one?

They're still running the MSUC. They could easily say "**** it, nobody wants to play the game" and cancel it. But they're not. Why? Maybe because... they actually care?

Unfortunately for us, we now live in a world where PC games simply DO have to compete with console brethren, and to minimize costs, a lot of developers will design with multiple platforms in mind, and it's something we simply have to deal with. Nobody WANTS to compromise, but simply put, I'd much rather take a few compromises to have a product on the PC than to not accept any at all, because quite frankly I have neither a PS3 or a Xbox 360, and I'd rather not get one because one is still too ridiculously pricey, and the other I'm still wary of with its historic high failure rates.

If there were any mistakes they made with UT3, it were these:

1. MIDWAY. Epic has had horribly ****ty publishers ever since Atari. The only ads I EVER saw for UT3 were ones of TV for the 360 version, and one German magazine ad. Literally, that's all. Hopefully EA Partners will give them FINALLY a good publisher, because after all, if nobody hears of your game, how are they going to buy it?
  2. The launch was pretty bad. Bad timing, as I said above, but also lots of silly things. No dedicated servers for a month after launch; no dedicated LINUX servers until a couple months past that as well. By the time these things came around, a lot of people who would've been interested, simply weren't there anymore. TF2 and COD4 snapped up a bunch of them, and there was a little game called L4D looming on the horizon. There were a lot of features these games had that UT3 didn't, and it simply couldn't compete. PC gamers, at least, expect these bells and whistles. (Although COD4 has an even worse server browser than UT3, somehow. Not to mention Punkbuster... something that makes Gamespy just swell in comparison.)
  3. Talking about stuff that ended up cut from the game. There was no Conquest mode, and Warfare mode was basically a tweaked Onslaught. Simply put, the "new" things weren't terribly new, and the new vehicles often trounced the older Axon vehicles in terms of balance. For those of you who've played in an Axon vs. Necris map, how often has the Raptor won against the Fury? Not very often, would be my wager. If you need further proof of this imbalance, check out VCTF-SuspenseNecris sometime.
  4. Going hand in hand with the above, there was really nothing new. You know what I'd love to see come back? XMP. Don't be afraid of something class-based; XMP was fun as hell, and I really hope some of the people who have read this have played it and will happily agree. I think gamers who like the Technical details that are UT wouldn't mind a game mode with slightly complex rules. Another good idea would be a mod I saw for UT and 2kx called "Siege" which centers around building things (such as weapons suppliers) and this really changes how you play the game into less of a "run around and kill the other guy" and more of a "build your stuff in a secret location, protect it with buildings that'll hurt your enemies, blow his buildings up and oh yeah, kill the other guy."
  5. For once, something the community has to accept - Vehicles are here to stay. They're not going to go away, whether you want them to or not. Splitting the game into a vehicle game modes only and a classic modes only two-game set isn't going to work, and is just plain ****ing silly. I know a lot of UT players avoid vehicular game modes like they're some sort of Stygian plague, but the simple fact of the matter is if there's one game mode that's going to draw new players in, it's something with vehicles. Why? Simple. Would you enjoy trying to kill a guy every time only to get a shock combo to the face? No, you wouldn't. Vehicles even out the field in the sense that they allow anyone to get a few kills, and killing someone who's kicking your ass even once can make you feel a lot better, and encourage you to stick around and eventually learn.
This post ended up a lot longer than I'd have liked it to be (to the point it logged me out while I was typing it... grrr) so I'll cut it off here. But I'm pretty confident that even if you THINK they don't, Epic has learned plenty of valuable lessons from UT3, including what went right and what went wrong. They know games have changed, especially PC Online FPS games, and so their news we won't see a retail version for a couple years can actually be a good thing.

Why? Simple. It means they're going back to the drawing board, to square one. They're going to make it from the ground up, and throw things out the window.

Don't be surprised if the next UT has some light class-based gameplay to it, especially if stuff like XMP returns. At the same time, don't expect to transform into a full-blown class-based shooter. It wouldn't feel like UT anymore.

What they're doing is they're going to carefully evaluate, plan, conceptualize, playtest, and if it's good enough to definitely get into the final game, then, and ONLY then, will we ever hear a thing about it.

Don't put it under them to take one step back to take two steps forward. Sometimes it's what has to be done.
DeadHorse.jpg

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
# Talking about stuff that ended up cut from the game. There was no Conquest mode, and Warfare mode was basically a tweaked Warfare. Simply put, the "new" things weren't terribly new, and the new vehicles often trounced the older Axon vehicles in terms of balance. For those of you who've played in an Axon vs. Necris map, how often has the Raptor won against the Fury? Not very often, would be my wager. If you need further proof of this imbalance, check out VCTF-SuspenseNecris sometime.
You mean "tweaked Onslaught"? That's pretty much what Warfare is, ONS with orbs
I agree on the vehicle balance, Necris gets a pretty big advantage over Axon

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Dark Pulse... great post... and nice (tiny) failures :)

like:
Warfare mode was basically a tweaked Warfare.
... right...

But seriously, overall... a good post. Here's an idea, maybe BuF should have sort of a column section on the front page where posts like are made prominent.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
UT3 failed because it was a bad game. Simple. Bad games are meant to fail. It is called survival of the fittest. The only reason that UT3 wasn't an even bigger failure was the mod support. If the game had shipped with no editor it would've died sooner.

In any case there is already a good UT game and it's almost 10 years old. Epic should've done something else with the Unreal series than barfing up a few UT sequels. But the damage has been done. Best advice for them now would be to create something completely new and leave Unreal/UT in the history books. The name can live on in the engine.

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
vehicles

I disagree that vehicles should be in every mode. You obviously like them Dark. I do not. It made perfect sense to separate them from other modes. It gave you a choice.
To catch a shock combo in the face is what UT is all about; taking on someone on a level playing field. Bots are for practice to at least get yourself to level to play online where you get your 'continuing education'. So you don't rely on vehicles, but, your own wits and abilities. I will admit I loved riding around on a Strangelove (mod) rocket, but you were exposed and able to fire your weapons while flying. The rockets didn't have their own set of fireable weapons. It was basic and hilarious at the same time.
It sounds like people want to just don on Gundam suits instead of using their own player's handheld weapons. (though I did like Mechwarrior, that's its own beast)
I guess I truly love the start of Unreal 1, its you against everything (save the Nali) and use your wits to accomplish a mission with the resources presented to you. There were no vehicles and the game Kicked A$$.
That's the formula that made U1 and UT1 great.
I hope they bring that unreal formula back, whenever that may be.
I'll be waiting...

(maybe I won't be pegged a troll for this one:rolleyes:)

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
UT3 failed because it was a bad game. Simple. Bad games are meant to fail. It is called survival of the fittest. The only reason that UT3 wasn't an even bigger failure was the mod support. If the game had shipped with no editor it would've died sooner.

In any case there is already a good UT game and it's almost 10 years old. Epic should've done something else with the Unreal series than barfing up a few UT sequels. But the damage has been done. Best advice for them now would be to create something completely new and leave Unreal/UT in the history books. The name can live on in the engine.

Jesus christ....sorry but...it really is kinda ridiculous to see you evolve this way. You used to be UT hater in past, of the original UT back in the days. Then you got mind changed by others and now you sing another song, that happens too often with you.
That means you never had strong personality to begin with or something.
And what happened to the project you planned to do for UT3? Is it still in works or is it just hoax?
The Return To Mars.

Last edited: