Stuff you just bought thread V2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Tis a fine card. Currently what I'm using :tup:
I'm a little disappointed with mine to be honest. The ACX cooler has widespread rattling issues (wish I had known that sooner) and my particular card is awful at overclocking at all. Luckily the performance is pretty good so I don't care about that too much.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I ordered a Aduro U Grip Plus for my Nexus 5 through Groupon. Retails for around $45, I paid $11.99 + tax ;)

c700x420.jpg

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Finally ditched the pos Ni-Cd powered drill that always seems to be out of charge and got this:
b4j85c.jpg

Also grabbed a Fallkniven F1 do do some bushcrafty stuff, it'll go along with the fire starting kits I made with an assortment of tinders (fatwood shavings, jute in wax, jute in petrolium jelly, plain old jute & cotton balls in petroleum jelly) with a ferrocerium rod in painted/polished baccy tins. Gonna see if betwen myself & my son we can't chop down a forest and set it ablaze. :flame:
2n9981x.jpg

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Gonna see if betwen myself & my son we can't chop down a forest and set it ablaze. :flame:
2n9981x.jpg

Awesome. Got myself a Dewalt Reciprocating Saw - let's see if my daughter is equally excited about it. :D

Edit: Jeez. I re-read my post and out of context it sounded awful. What I meant was today we were cutting some heavy branches apart that have fallen down during the storm. They will make some neat fire starters in the winter.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
img_2302.jpg

1000 pages. Better get started. Anyone else read this monster?

Not my photo...call me lazy, but the book is the same, so...

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
^ It's a great book, but here's some advice. Read the first 50 pages. If after that you're thinking: wow, what a fun, funny and interesting book, I'm really glad I'm reading this, then keep on reading. If, however, you're thinking, this is alright, but I really can't wait for Wallace to explain things a little bit more: then stop, right then and put the book down.

The thing is, the book is a 1,000 page prank on the reader. Plots will not be wrapped up, mysteries will not be explained, there is no real ending and it just gets more annoying and frustrating. That's also the fun of it, in a sick, sick kind of a way. So yeah, keep that in mind as you read. My thesis adviser in grad school (a big fan of Wallace's work) was so annoyed by the book that it took him a few years to be able to read anything by him again, as the ending really does feel like a slap in the face.

So yeah, enjoy it, if it's your thing, but don't push on to get resolution.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Thanks dragonfliet...sage advice indeed. To be honest, I have had the ebook for a while and indeed read through well past the first 50 pages, which prompted me to buy the book. Its the kind of book that needs to be heavily annotated on my part, something that ebooks don't lend themselves well to doing. I find the writing thrilling and challenging and have no illusions about the nature of the work.

The book seems to be quite divisive; some loath it, others hold it up as one of the greatest works of the modern era. Having just come out of a 6-in-a-row journey through some of Philip K. Dick's work, I find the work quite invigorating.

In the past, I somehow found links to some of your writing (was it through another thread? I can't recall) and thought that also to be quite good. Sorry for the lame appraisal, but it was some time ago and my memory isn't accurate enough to be more specific. Are you published anywhere where one could read some of your work?