CTF-Abyss needs some Beta testing...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Did you like the map?

• Wow!

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • Average

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Below average

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was a big cup of Sh|t!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Chris, you've made my job far too hard.

The map, as I'm sure you know, looks incredible. The layout is perfected and has some nice item placement. The belltower is awesome, and so is the big nuke in the middle of the map.

In my attempts to find some flaw a came up with a few minor gripes. I thought that the archways that entered the flagroom might have been a little too small (I'm really digging deep here). As you know, the map runs a little slower than others. The only place where it became a problem was on the lower walkways were you could see ahead a long distance. Other than that it wasn't all that bad(P3 500, Voodoo 3, 128 MB). For an average system, I got an average framerate, so don't worry about it.

Excellent work. This map is top notch all the way.

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
Gabriel, before you do any real upgrading, get a 56K modem and a real internet service(ie not AOL). Then you can actually play online with the rest of us.

UT may be a pretty cool single player game, but it's a whole lot better with real people.

Paladin

Where do I mount the silencer?
Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
Playtested

I didn't try it with bots. The overall design of the level is great. The architecture is great, the lighting is great, the sounds are great. I have to agree with Rev on the entrances to the flagroom...they're a bit narrow.

That said, they may just have seemed narrow because the game bogged down there. I'm running a Celeron 500 with 256megs and a 32MB TNT2 card. I hit 200+ polys looking into the flag room, and in the room above it with the rocket launcher...in both of those, my framerates were 10'ish. Looking down from the upper catwalks between the base and the central tower, I hit 300+ polys, but the framerates stayed in the mid-30's there. Go figure.

On the rest of the level, my framerates were also between 30 and 40.

Looking at the flagroom entrance in zone mode may have revealed a big part of the problem...the fountain in the player spawn room. See the attached screenie...I didn't count, but it looks like thats 40-50 polys by itself.

Luminuis

Herald of the Newest Dawn
HAHA! shows you RX! I have a 56k! Internal! and I cna't switch off AOL, and it's not that bad, better than BellSouth where I crashed El Quickey

I need a new mdoem card for it tho, so it is very unstable, but....heh, if I could get into the IRC chat, then i'd think about playing with you guys, tho i'd need to reset my graphics settings to normal.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Thanks guyz...

Paladin: That's a good point. I will remove the two fountains facing the entrances. I'll replace it with a low-poly deco. In the upper room I've already taken out those shafts to the flag room...weren't so useful and caused high nodecounts in the clipped brushes. I did the outer area in a more effective way...I haven't thought that I should be this careful in the Flag room...when I was at that stage it ran like heaven.

F'zi:k: OK. Thanks...I'm sorry for not providing you a fast map...I'm still optimizing.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Ho ho ho...I've got the sticking thing corrected. That was caused by the wooden pillar above your head at the arch. U can go through the arch but strangely if the pillar's there you can go through if you run perpendiculary.

I'm trying the fountain thingie..Rebuilding now. I'll be back in about 25 minutes with the results.

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
I've noticed something.
Why is it everybody can afford those huge amounts of RAM? Where do you all get those humongous heaps of money?

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Paladin: Didn't help...Hmm...I really don't know why that area is laggy...I have a lot of maxed-out-poly/effects places and they run smoothly even on my system...

Fuzz: As far as I remember You've got 96Megs...am I right? I don't have a lot more either (128)..and I got it when there was a considerable decrease in the prices.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Now I'm trying to remove some meshes...maybe the Red and th Blue flag...not necessary for a CTF :D

Now seriously...maybe if I removed those monk statues...

Paladin

Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
Hmmm....

Man, I would face sworn it was the fountains. As soon as I moved into a facing where they were visible, the framerate plummeted...when I turned away, it shot back up again. Is there something else in that general area that's funky?

On the memory thing, where I'm at 128MB of 100mhz RAM is going for about $90 right now. Any way you slice it, it's more bang for the buck to put in an extra 128MB of memory than it is to buy a faster processor/mobo combo. With my regularly-clocked 500mhz Celeron and the 256MB of memory, I hadn't hit anything (besides this map) that didn't run smooth. :D

Besides, Intel's already talking about having the 2.5GHz P4's out for Christmas, and there should be a nice crop of DDR supporting mobo's by then...so I can upgrade before Unreal 2 comes out.

Paladin :D

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
I could try building a low-poly fountain...
Everything I tried is a lot of design/eyecandy loss for a couple of milliseconds of performance gain...

I made this level for better PCs* but now as I want to send it to NC I think it would be a good point to increase it's performance.

*It was made for a Hungarian UT community...but now that most of the people like it but it's not low-end user friendly...SHOULD I SEND IT TO NC ANYWAY??

Paladin

Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
Send it.

I definitely vote for you to send it in. It's a really good looking level, and for the most part, it plays very well. Just make a note in your readme that it's a very processor intensive level, and those with slower PC's, even with substantial amounts of memory, may have trouble with framerates in certain areas.

If you've watched the reviews being posted on NaliCity, you'll see they get a lot of maps that barely rate a 1 or 2, on a scale of 10. Yours is at least a 9 on looks and design. They may knock off a point for performance, but then, they may not. It certainly looks like one of the better user-made maps I've seen (I'm new to level designing, but not to playing).

Besides, they may even have one or two reviewers who know enough on the technical side to spot the cause for the slowdown which we seem to be missing. They seem to make an effort to provide some feedback to the mapmaker.

Pal

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
I only have 96 MB because I have a little brother. Hadn't he got a 64 module for his 13th birthday, I'd still muck around with my old 32 megs.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Memory price have never been lower.

Best Buy:

256mb PC133 for $79.00
128mb PC133 for $39.00

It can be found cheaper on the net.

Pricewatch.com

I remember when 32mb cost $950.00. :)

Nali City

Nali City may be the best place to upload your map.

but I have a bad experience with them. I sent them
CTF-Red-October two month ago and have yet to
see it in the map list, let alone, reviewed.

Note: CTF-Red-October is a CTF-November knock-off.
I just made it symetrical. It took all my cutting and
pasting skills. :)

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
I don't have the equivalent of those 39, let alone 79 dollars. That may be low by comparison, but it's still too high for me.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Ok...
I'll give it a try at NC...I hope I get a review. I'll ask for one at a high-end user reviewer. :D

I'll update the readme:
Give credit to you guyz...
I'll emphasize the Minimum requirements part of my readme...
Give credit to you guyz...
A few notes...
And of course give credit...........

BTW Have you found the secrets in the level?

Paladin

Jan 4, 2000
QBVille
www.quirkybastards.net
CTF-Red October

They may not have posted it because someone had already done the exact same thing. CTF-NovermberCE (Clan Edition) by Rich 'Akuma' Eastwood. In fact, there are at least 5 Novemberesque CTF maps on NC.