LAAAAAAGGGGG!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
ok... this is a question about lag. i have noticed more than usual lag on some maps that i have conveted to utxmp and was wondering the cause of it. mainly it happens on islandhop and urban (hall of giants is just a laggy map because of zoning) the versions for ut2k4 run perty well even with lots of people 20+ but when u get more than 8 in utxmp it starts to lag for most ppl. is utxmp just more prone to lagging cause of deployables n such or is it becasue i put too many vehicles, or is it just the server? if too many vehicles cause lag then they can be taken out but i dont know if that is the problem. urban and island hop are some of my fave maps and i would like to play them without lagging... just wanted to know if there was anything i could do on my end to make the gameplay better

p.s. if anyone has a clue on how to zone hall of giants or anyway to fix the fps on the map that would be great. cause it is a great xmp map i think, but most people get crappy fps on it... thanks

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
Xaero said:
Tips for making gameplay better:

Don't convert crap maps. You probably don't think thats helpful, but its true.

ummm... your right, i dont think that is very helpfull. i dont know what your idea of a good map is, but the map i was referring to is not "crap". and can make for a great xmp map if you took the time to play it. if you dont believe me ask the people who play utxmp and vote for it all the time.

does anyone have any truly helpfull advice? or maby some suggestions on maps that arnt "crap" maps to convert for utxmp...

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Maybe if you were a little more descriptive with your problems. What kind of lag? FPS lag or ping lag? if its FPS lag, then you need to work on your occulsion (the engine rendering things that you can't see). If its server lag, not much you can do on your map to fix it.

Island Hop is one of the worst maps for occulsion I've seen, and there really isnt much you can do on it except for making some massive distance fog or redesigning it (hence, its a crappy map).

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
ok... basically i just wanted to know if having 10+ xmp vehicles can cause a map to lag, i.e. skippiing from one place to another in jagged steps. i dont know what is causing the lag but i just noticed that when i play islandhop ONS i usually dont get bad lag even with 20+ ppl and the same goes for urban, but when u play the maps utxmp with more than 8 people it starts to lag. i dont think it has anything to do with my ping cause i ussually have under a hundred ping. as far as for zoning i dont think that is the problem cause the maps run fine for ONS and i didnt change anyhting about the maps except the game objectives and pickups. maby it is the sever or maby the utxmp gametype is more server intensive and hence the server has a harder time running utxmp over regular ONS... i just thought it might be the vehicles because i put too many... anyways i will try taking them out anyways just to see what happens

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Mass vehicles can lag a server, yes.

First thing, find out if your on a Xenotech server. If so, either leave immediately or commit seppuku. ;)

Sorry about my outburst earlier. I'm just sick of seeing "I'm going to convert map X!!" rather than people trying to come up with their own, original ideas.

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
ok... mass vehicles = how many i put in. lol... plus after converting a few maps i have learned some gameplay tricks and found that too many vehicles really scews up the game. going to make some fixes right away and get them sent out.

as i am a newb too mapping i just find it easy and fun too convert maps. making one from scratch can be very time consuming as well as a pain in the arse. i do have some origional maps that i am working on but i keep getting stuck/starting new ideas.... and one day i will finish lost temple... :lol:

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
yeah, turns out we wern't even talking about the same maps. I was thinking of a different one all together.

# of vehicles...keep it to a minimum. Keep in mind XMP isn't as vehicle dependant as ONS, and maps should reflect that. There really is no set number to use.

PRG

XMP Beta Tester
Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
Xaero said:
yeah, turns out we wern't even talking about the same maps. I was thinking of a different one all together.

# of vehicles...keep it to a minimum. Keep in mind XMP isn't as vehicle dependant as ONS, and maps should reflect that. There really is no set number to use.

Most XMP of the better playing XMP maps have 2-6 vehicles total. If you look at the stock XMP maps from U2 most have 4 vehicles. The exceptions being Freefall, SunsetBeach and Sirocco with 0,5, and 6 repsectively. ALso if memory serves correctly, manned turrets are actors that modify the ONS vehicle code hence are UTXMP vehicles in their own right, which will really bring the vehicle count up. 10 vehicles plus 10 turrets is really going to tax the server. Also XMP maps are harder to optimize than ONS maps, then tend to be much open, and hence have a larger area of the map open to players. and therefore fewer spots to put antiportals and such. Also, there's always the off chance you did something odd to screw your map up. One of the maps FMI made for UTXMP was axed early on in the private beta because of strange lag problems that no explanations was ever figured out for it. (or at least an explanation was never given nor was it fixed.)

Lastly, like Xaero said keep the vehicles to a minimum. There's soo much original and truly different stuff you can do while staying within the basic templates for an XMP map that there really isn't a reason to do something crazy with the number of vehicles etc.

*edit *

Oh yah, Alcazar has 6 vehicles also..

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
after experimenting i have found that i like xmp more with less or even no vehicles. as i was a hardcore onlsaught player before i got into utxmp i found myself wanting to make the xmp maps similar in lay out to ons in layout. as far as deploys and gens go that is fine, but after seeing the gameplay with 10 people all in vehicles, (not even counting the lag lol) i dont think i like it as much. and never put a tank by the base deploy cause that = easy spawnkill. i need iron out some gameplay stuff on the conversion maps now that i have more than 2 people to test them with. i have also gotton some good feedback on how to improve the fps issues on some of the levels. thanks everyone and i hope you enjoy

Jan 13, 2005
Tampa FL
www.
hey PRG and and xaero, are you interested in testing the gameplay of some ne wconversion levels to give me feedback before i send to bbf? would love to see what you think... IM me

Skaxis

Oct 25, 2003
Everett, WA
Visit site
An observation regarding lag

Seems that even just 2 people in any server, when any vehicle blows up, there is DISTINCT point of lag that occurs.... so... it seems that something is being distributed to all players at that moment... perhaps the wreckage which is on the ground still.... whatever is distributed, the moment of a vehicle (raptor specifically) being destroyed... causes synchronized lag for any 2 or more players that are in the game....

Haven't heard of anyone who can somehow NOT experience this particular type of momentary lag.

Doesn't bother me tho because I have not found anyone who didn't get "slowed" just like anyone else... so it's "fair" lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.