New BU Poll: UT2K4 Online

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
We're interested in knowing what UT2K4 gametype you think you'll play the most online. Sticking with the classics DM and CTF, or are you just sickly addicted to Onslaught now? Check out our right sidebar and put your two cents worth in!

Creole Ned

Quirky guy
Apr 13, 2000
www.quirkybastards.com
You left Double Domination off the poll. Was there a reason for that?

I'd suggest spelling out the full names, too. Not everyone is a leet UT insider who knows what ONS and BR refer to. :p

MachDelta

Haphazard Nobody
Apr 29, 2001
Canada
Visit site
I always have a game or three of ONS every day... but honestly i'm starting to get sucked back into CTF. Its soooooo much fun when you get two evenly matched teams. Plus, I find the competition in CTF (and DM for that matter), is stiffer and more challanging. ONS is so popular that it's filled with a lotta nubs (same with AS, though not as bad)... but cruise around CTF and DM servers, and you're likely to get your ass handed to you on a shock-combo platter. More dedicated, skilled players methinks. I like going up against players better than me sometimes, because you can learn so much and eventually progress yourself. Blasting apart armies of newbies is fun, don't get me wrong, but there's a lot to be said for pushing your limits for a win. Or even a loss.

So right now, yeah, ONS is a hoot. But I won't be at all suprised if I go back to CTF. Maybe find a nice clan, start a little familly... :p. Depending on how the AS community takes off, I might dabble in that too, but I don't think it'll ever be a feature for me (ditto for DDOM). CTF and some iTDM was my old game. Maybe my new one will be CTF and ONS with a little AS? :D

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
DM-Rankin > all

Did I miss something? I didn't even think DDOM was in the demo :confused: I'm not overly bothered, because I never played it anyway (i think it's a truly awful gametype, unlike DOM1 which was a lot of fun).

As for me I play DM mainly, with some ONS thrown in. The very heavy balance problems in ONS is a bit of a turn-off for me, but it's still fun (and should improve with the new maps and more experienced players).

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
FINALLY someone else who's noticed the balance problem! It could just be that map, or the fact that I tend to play in 16-22-player servers, but once your team starts losing, the game's basically lost in something like 95% of games. I've only ever seen one comeback in Onslaught; even very good players seem unable to turn back the tide, just delay their team's destruction by a few minutes...

Personally I've been extremely surprised to find the new Assault being my favourite gametype... I was never very keen on UT's AS (Seafloor completely turned me off), but the new version is so polished and excellent... maybe Convoy's just an exceptional map (like Anubis was an exceptional BR map... the only other one I've ever liked is Disclosure), but it's responsible for my vote.