Where have all the balls gone in music?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
tool said:
Radiohead and cold play come to mind. Two of the worst and most overhyped bands ever. They are two of the worst bands ever because they are so liked and played on the radio and mtv.

WHOA WHOA WHOA, Coldplay... okay... but NOT Radiohead, what so ever. wow. no.... just no.

BTW, some of you guys who like GY!BE, Mogwai, etc... should check out Kayo Dot, they are releasing (released?) two albums this year on Robotic Empire. they sound like orchestrated metal, they are pretty interesting.

Last edited:

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
Before Radiohead became popular I really liked them, especially when Ok Computer came out. But it seems like mainstream music sucks up anything good, chews it, and spits it out into the wastebucket. Its sad really.

Whats a good site for "if you like X, you'll like Y"?

BobCobb said:
Before Radiohead became popular I really liked them, especially when Ok Computer came out. But it seems like mainstream music sucks up anything good, chews it, and spits it out into the wastebucket. Its sad really.

Whats a good site for "if you like X, you'll like Y"?

I actually like everything after Ok Computer. Kid-A was amazing, and so is Hail To The Thief.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I had a VIP backstage pass. Gotta love being a +1 :D

mokeh said:
I saw Motorhead last month and Lemmy seems to still be breathing somehow, when he stops though I think we are in trouble :)

I caught them at their 30th Anniversary show at the Hammersmith Apollo, and it's fair to say that they absolutly ****ing rocked :eek:

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
Turns2Ashes said:
If you really want aggression, I can show you aggression. Odds are you don't, really; you're just tired of the p*ssy emo crap on the radio. Regardless, if you want to hear a young angry band that tears sh*t up... here's about the angriest, tear-sh*t-uppiest band I know of: Ion Dissonance. Be warned: they are f**king insane. Basically, the aggression is out there, you just have to look in the right places, and the radio and any form of MTV are definitely not the places to look.

Should add Armani Death Machine, Meshuggah, Scamp, Violent Work of Art, Chimaira, and Dillenger Escape Plan(these guys were around before Ion Dissonance and sound very similar).

As for the more tame or melodic metal Crowbar is one of my favorites.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I can't remember the last time I put the radio on in my own house (it's harder to avoid at work, unfortunately, but still possible if someone brings in a good CD) because all I hear is what I call trade-in music: songs that are popular for a month or two then become old and are "traded in" for new songs, much like a person would trade in an old game for a new one. There's no substance or any sense of musicianship, just a sense of fat-chequed producers banging out any old tracks behind a fat Pro Tools desk.

So, I avoid all that and just listen to stuff like Sigur Rós, 1 Mile North and Pink Floyd; music that does have balls, not in a shouty and angry way, but more in an intelligent, envelope-pushing kind of way. Anyway, I'll never hear that stuff on payola-financed FM radio, so there's no point in switching it on.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Bean316 said:
Besides not listening to the radio, you can do what I do and listen to hip-hop. You got tons of great independent acts working with each other, constantly creating fusions of their styles. I'm going to make a post about the new brilliant Cunninlynguists album (it's bone crushing in brilliance).

The whole hip-hop genre seems to be running out of ideas. Granted, I don't listen to a lot of it anymore, but what i have heard (radio and internet both) seems to be un-inspired rehashes. Hell, even Eminem, who always knows what to say to piss people off, seems to be running out of good ideas. I just miss the days of Tupac, NWA, Bone Thugs, Death Row. Before all this "Pop-Hop" stuff became popular. I'll check out the new Cunninlynguists album though.

BobCobb

Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
Its not hiphop anymore. Its Floetry.

And hiphop was good in the days of public enemy, but it has turned to garbage like everything else mainstream.

cole_bie

^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^
Jun 29, 2004
I think the reason you dont hear heavy **** on the radio is because not a lot of people want to hear a bunch of idiots scream their heads off and call it music. And dont get me started on their "lyrics". You call other bands whiny but from the lyrics I have seen of "heavy metal" bands, all they do is whine and complain, they just do it in a TOTALLY HARDCORE MANNER! I think there is still some good music on the radio, you just have to find the right station. I listen to internet radio sometimes, they sometimes have some good stuff. Almost all of my music though comes from word of mouth. People send me a song that is good, I check out the artists other songs.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
15 years ago music was better? What the ****? That's like 1990's! Possibly some of the worst music ever came out in that era. I have to say thats a rose coloured glasses view of the world and will never work. I'm sure people in the 90's who were teens in the 80's said the same thing, oh god who is this nirvana crap? I wish we had good bands like Van Halen! So depressing!

See? You're getting older and so is your taste in music, but music never matures because it's always supposed to appeal to the younger generation. Try and listen to bands that age well, U2 are good for this and I foresee Red Hot Chilli's being the same.

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Fuct, I never did watch MTV. I've always known it has sucked ass.

Fatcam, yeah that's what I'm talking about! Hardcore and Punk even used to be the angriest music out there but now it's all an outlet for a bunch of crying bitches! No anger and it pisses me off!!! It's a commercialized bastardization of the genres.

Israphel your input was awesome. Very true, and thanks. I want to do new things, alas I do not know why it is so frigging hard to find other musicians who want to do the same thing as me. I wish I could clone myself or something.

And holy crap I had no idea this thread would grow so fast.

BobCobb said:
Its not hiphop anymore. Its Floetry.

And hiphop was good in the days of public enemy, but it has turned to garbage like everything else mainstream.

Ohhhh yes. I like NWA too because they had so much anger. I love listening to NWA in my school parking lot in my car because it blows all those other stupid kids who listen to 50 Cent away.

On another note, what is all this glorified commercial masturbation I'm seeing amongst rappers? 50 Cent made a movie AND a video game about himself. And Usher, I think, also just came out with a movie about himself. Man, what arrogant *******s.

Cap'n Beeb said:
Lemmy is a god and therefore cannot die just fyi
You're damn right he's a god! I heard one time on stage some chick ran up and started giving him a blowjob. How godlike is that?

Last edited:

BobCobb

Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
On another note, what is all this glorified commercial masturbation I'm seeing amongst rappers? 50 Cent made a movie AND a video game about himself. And Usher, I think, also just came out with a movie about himself. Man, what arrogant *******s.

They can't stop with music man. 50 Cent is too hard to just rap, he's gotta be pixelated too. And I actually heard the game was ok, but I haven't actually read a review of it. Its just more commercialization, furthering the obvious that mainstream musicians don't care about music.