OMG they can't IN ANY WAY be serious about this

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
ChampionHyena said:
OH NOS!!!

These "Epic" people are going to change things that THEY want to change about THEIR game that THEY'RE working their asses off on so that lowlife slugs like us have something to do on the weekends? They want to introduce scary NEW ideas just because it's THEIR GAME!?
Don't know who you are but I suppose it's best to see that as light-hearted sarcasm. That said, I agree with most of it.

Starry Might

bFemale=True
About the concept art in the original post...that's what the Flak Cannon looks like in "Unreal Championship 2".

This post in Lauren's "UnrealED2.x PC Version To Mod UC2 Via PC" topic in the "Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict" part of these forums has a picture of it in-game (first-person perspective):

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showpost.php?p=1824483&postcount=11

Personally, I don't care too much about how it looks (the look of the original "UT's" Flak Cannon is my favorite, though, I guess) - I still love it. :flak:

*FLAK MONKEY 4 LYFE*

Breadtruck

All's Well That Ends Well
Feb 6, 2005
Maine
wait a second, is it just me, or when you were a kid did you always picture guns liek that? i mean everyday i thought about guns liek that, after i was introduced to guns that is, other then that the gun looks great and i hear that they are keeping the flaks firing modes the same.... or i could just be hearing storys in my head by that phsycotic rubber duckie... i though i got rid of that thin years ago....

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
The projectiles in the flak screen capture look like they're being pushed out of a quad shot. Nice visual effect, of course, but that model is still too much imo even though the visible shot pattern demands a completely different approach to modeling the weapon.

If the primary shock button results in a multi-beam as shown, nice, but if anyone has played UT anime then you know there is a potential for incredible lag for something like this, even in single play. Anyway, Hal indicated that discussing this weapon has likely already had its day, and may it RIP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vault

May 29, 2005
i think everyone has glazed over the fact that the concept drawing says, "Flack Cannon"...... i always thought is was "flak" ...

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Well, give me a while to actually get my weapons all completed and you can see how it looks and feels ingame ;)

[screenshot]http://www.radiant-studios.net/junk/ht/flaknew02.jpg[/screenshot]

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Radiosity said:
Well, give me a while to actually get my weapons all completed and you can see how it looks and feels ingame ;)

:eek: omg :flak: :lol:

Personally I think it's pretty cool looking and if you look toward the centre it looks like the actual flak could be an attachment of some sort... Which leads me on to say how's about another attachment called super flak which can actually tear through walls :D

*hopes nothing's changed about the fire like from 2k3 -> 2k4 as it means all that practice is gone to waste*

Steyr

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 1, 2005
On the internets
I have to say, i miss the old flack cannon. this new one is lacking the brutal, barbaric simplicity of the first models. It just looks to much like a yellow version of the new rocketlauncher to me. I mean, yeah, having the new freedom in level of detail has got to be tempting, but not everything should be horribly complex with gears and joints and pipes everywhere. It violates the rules of style and art.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Looks heavy.
A glaring issue many ppl seem to have w/ the appearance of 2k3 era weapons was thier giant size and chunkiness. I also think it's kinda absurd to imagine someone carrying around what seems to be 150lbs of steel balanced gingerly in two hands.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Think they had to be kind of big with the player scaling as is. Otherwise, you couldnt' tell what you opponent is toting, which isn't very easy as is, and that would suck.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
IT IS A FLAK CANNON! you know, the weapon that we use to shoot down planes. If you want it looking like a shotgun and shooting like a flak cannon it would be pretty queer. besides, this model makes more sense than the last one, have you actually looked at it carefully? The Flak Cannon has dual firing modes, each being completely different. Therefore it is required that there are two different barrels, one for launching the shell as one piece(lower barrel), and one for launching flak chunks(upper barrel). Now how do you make it so that you can choose where one shell goes? well, if you look at the barrels it is clear that they connect halfway through the gun, so it is actually one barrel that splits, this probably works like a train track interesection or whatever its called. where what you press determines which way the shell will travel. Also, notice how in UT guns don't need to be reloaded, this is because they reload themselves. if you look at the bottom you can see a flak ammo container, above it directly is a revolver, this revolver would insert a new clip into the piece above it whenever one runs out. A gun of this caliber cannon be simplistic looking because it does not function like a shotgun nor is it a modern style weapon. if it was up to me the UT2004 Flak Cannon would have been much more complex looking also.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
heh.... whoops, should have introduced myself, I have all UT games and have been monitoring the UT2007 activity and threads for a while now, The statement above is expressing my anger towards people who want UT weapons to be weapons that monkeys can use.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
->Sachiel<- said:
heh.... whoops, should have introduced myself, I have all UT games and have been monitoring the UT2007 activity and threads for a while now, The statement above is expressing my anger towards people who want UT weapons to be weapons that monkeys can use.
Welcome to the forum :wavey:

I'm still standing next to my comment ;)

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Uh, a simply mechanical bar that retracts to shoot bombs would make one barrel very realistic. Both of them use the same ammo, the bomb is simply split in the weapon to shoot chunk, so that the chunk pojects from the barrel, as opposed to the bomb when it makes impact.

This would be harder to figure out from the 2kx weapon, but in UT, it made much more sense.

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
Originally posted by -AEnubis-
Uh, a simply mechanical bar that retracts to shoot bombs would make one barrel very realistic. Both of them use the same ammo, the bomb is simply split in the weapon to shoot chunk, so that the chunk pojects from the barrel, as opposed to the bomb when it makes impact.
What are you talking about, obviously its the same basic shell, which can be either split or launched. One barrel carries the shell, it splits into two, one direction launches the shell in a similar fashion to a grranade launcher while the other launches it in a similar fashion to a shotgun. what I argued is how could one launching mechanism offer both a grenade launching and shotgun-like firing feature? look at the firing animation for primary, then secondary, it is the same in UT2004, how is it possible for a grenade launcher to split a shell rather than launching it whole and vise versa?