YOUR TEAM HAS GAINED AN ENERGY SAUCE...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
Umm, well,….O.k…..

I’ve been playing this stupid(not) game now since last October in the beta test (yuddayudda…)…(still suck)… still love the game. Lots O’fun, laughs etc… . Spend what seems to be entirely too much time on it, between playing, reading forums, mapping/learning to map (good f*kking grief!) and, oh yea, Ut2k4 (or was till I reinstalled my Os a couple of times recently-have not reinstalled ut2k4 for a month) and now being the glutton for punishment that I am, I am now attempting to wrap my nimble mind around ‘Blender’(Let’s see what this ’liquefy’ button does…). This is all (on the 3d editing stuff dept.) pretty new stuff to me. I rarely use Photoshop even. I do find ALL this stuff fascinating, however, it is a major distraction for me as well as an inspiration. I notice that I haven’t written many tunes lately…..(sh*t this is turning in to a blog..)

Sooo O.K., here’s a little synoptic run down of my little theory:

Here we got these games (check!). These 3d walkthrough/flythrough/jumparoundandlauncharocketatanythingthatmovesthrough- virtual world environments (check!). The usual suspects – audio/visual and then (forcefeedback…(damn you saiteck)) sometimes tactile. For the most part the visual collisions/ interfaces/friction between things (actors) is reinforced by various sounds (check!). I must say at this point that I can’t express enough about how the interactive sounds really make the game from footsteps (very important) to cannon fire, even that stupid deploy sound (that pesky “yeroutta jumper juice buddy” esophageal vacuum clang sound has got to go(PANGYA, PANGYA!)). Back in the Beta dayze, I raised the question of introducing tunes for the game, and the idea pretty much got tarred and feathered immediately, as the consensus was that in game music would interfere with the gameplay. Uh…ok, well I kinda saw the validity for that, nature of the game and all and therefore did not persue the matter. I wrote some stuff for 2k3….vapor…up in an old chest in the attic.
Then I think it was “Azure ice” (hey where did that guy go anyway?) did a real nice job of ripping the original tunes from unreal2, possibly the source of the tunes that I hear on most of the new maps on servers.
Now, even though they are not quite my block of hash, the tunes aren’t bad. Pretty good production. In some maps (not all) they work pretty well (I have tried to stay objective about this), and sometimes they enhance the gameplay and intensity. But I gotta tell ya, Been there. Done that. And I’m dyin to hear something ELSE. What we’ve got here folks is a Broadcast medium in disguise. A new riflescope forced to wear a rubber nose and horn rimmed glasses. And GODDAMMIT it doesn’t always have to be that techno wallpaper stuff from acidfrootylooperz “wow this is just like the first time I did ecstasy again again”. I mean it doesn’t ALWAYS have to be. We can be eclectic. Map builders can put on different stuff. Even some of that jockrawk stuff so popular with the kids back on the old 2003 block. We can put OTHER stuff on there too. ANYTHING. I mean hey, howz about the more juicy parts of the Nixon tapes? Perhaps with Jimmy Hendrix whaling on ‘ machinegun’ in the background, even rap, hiphop tunes. Even collages. Or hey, here’s an idea, you could even have a tune scored specifically to the map!
Actually, that’s kinda what this little rant is about. This is my little stump speech for mappers. Something for you to chew on. I, myself am not sure if I will install Cubase and all my gear again till I get another drive (as far as production is concerned), but I do have a keyboard and notation software for the moment. I have some material (demo) but no web page, ftp setup (duh…) can upload to one (just point) and/or I’ve got some great stuff I’d like to hear on some servers (Naked City- The grand Guignol) Various Zappa , Stravinsky, MUSHROOMHEAD… Ready in or to be the necessary .ogg file format we know, love and worship as a way of life, which as we now is the holy yolk and catalyst, the ‘pushup bra’ and perfume of this game that we ..knowandloveandworshipasawayoflife!
?
?
Ok. That does it. I’m goin to the bar and rustle up a date…see ya.

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
Well, my fiddle does get a good lashing every third day or so, as well as my 12 string. Just haven't been scoring much lately. Kinda mushed out by academic sensory overload I guess. That and a slew of computer RRRRRRRRREconfigurations and reinstallations. Norton = registry hell. ...and so on... You're right though.

Pro^Kp

[DCSB]Callisto/Talon|Se7eN
Jan 24, 2004
its a fake Xaero some lamer flaming under his name with a zero at the end of his name

p37g01df15h

/me bubbles
Feb 25, 2004
Gah, I finally get this post. ( I actually took the time to read it) and YES, I agree completely. I compose too, and would be more than happy to write a couple of tracks for maps, if anyone is interested. I know some that have heard my stuff, and have gotten pretty good feedback accordingly. And I would just like to say, on a side note: 2k4's music kicks ass. Kevin Reipl kicks ass. That's 90% of the reason I play 2k4 sometimes. If we could get some sweet tracks that admins (or mappers) would be willing to put in the maps, I think it would give XMP even more character and interest to the players.

i_am_Loki

god of mischief
Feb 21, 2004
so when a cow spits in the desert it does 2 things. First it no one can hear it. Second it makes a muddy mess. When you combine this muddy mess with bee poop it turns somewhat solid and slightly shiny. Next a lizard comes by and it sneezes all over this mixture. That in turn makes this goe Greenish. After being baked in the sun for a few hours this substance turns into and evaporate. Inteligent creatures called "h3zn3w4mk!'5" turn this substance into something tech's can use to hack.

OMG OMG

so thats where and what that green stuff the tech dispells comes from. When a group of techs get hungry they put all this green stuff together and stir over direct heat of a gunners flamethrower. With a little smoke from the ranger we have something called Energy Sauce wich i can say is quite tastey.

huh? I appologise if this post or thread has lowerd your IQ

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
p37g01df15h said:
Gah, I finally get this post. ( I actually took the time to read it) and YES, I agree completely. I compose too, and would be more than happy to write a couple of tracks for maps, if anyone is interested. I know some that have heard my stuff, and have gotten pretty good feedback accordingly. And I would just like to say, on a side note: 2k4's music kicks ass. Kevin Reipl kicks ass. That's 90% of the reason I play 2k4 sometimes. If we could get some sweet tracks that admins (or mappers) would be willing to put in the maps, I think it would give XMP even more character and interest to the players.

Cool, was beginning to think I was fiddling for waterbuffalos there (as usual), Would like to hear some stuff- yer tunes, and more ideas. In particular, about custom map scoring stuff for proximity triggers and zones, like perhaps things are just quiet with a wind that builds up slowly, then more quickly then say, in the proximity of the icon node then out blast out with some dark fast SCARY death metal stuff that of course fades away as you leave.
If you do (overall background) tunes for a map that may be large and have long game play you should have either a moderatly long tune or several tunes strung together in one .oog file from Soundforge or something, otherwise one tune will just loopandloopandloopand... (drives me up the wall). You could use movie soundtracks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.