Mastering of classes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SwiftPaladin

Boing!
Feb 4, 2004
San Jose, CA
I really think that the ranger class is the ultimate class. If you can master ranger, you've mastered pretty much all. I don't know of any one exceptional ranger who is not, at least, above average with the other classes. The same does not hold true if you're real good at tech or gunner, only. What do you think? This thread can be just theoretical (though practical examples help) and for fun.

Points i'm expecting to be touched on: Aiming v. Prediction skills, a player's initial class can have influential effects, movement, etc

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
SwiftPaladin said:
I really think that the ranger class is the ultimate class. If you can master ranger, you've mastered pretty much all.

Not really. I can understand a good ranger being able to play tech with no problem, as they both have hitscan weapons. However to be a good gunner you need a lot better prediction, as you have to acount for the time it takes a rocket to get somewhere.

I don't think movement is a factor, as if you can move well as one class, you can move well for all.

Mar 6, 2004
Thanks to the ranger in utxmp i'm a way way way way way better ranger in terms of fragging (fast or slow depending) in u2xmp. It's really made me a better ranger...that and not many people play u2xmp anymore so i can't really test myself (unless i'm on a euro server which i like to do practise with).

[LNS]Jubei

DeMoN HuNTeR
Jan 22, 2004
it's true though
if you mastered ranger you can be very good at the remaining 2 classes
about the gunners rockets
it's about the same prediction a ranger has to have with the sniper rifle just a little more timing needed.
but
to get you're timing right
ranger is one of the best classes to practice with imho

Naib

Jan 31, 2004
Jubei said:
it's true though
if you mastered ranger you can be very good at the remaining 2 classes

But SwiftPaladin's first post was saying that once you master ranger, you have mastered all classes. Remember there is a lot more to playing a tech or gunner then movement and aim. E.g. I would say that before you can say you have mastered the gunner, you need to know how to work with a tech to set up a defence that would work in a clan game

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Well it's obvious isn't it. Ranger is the fastest on foot and the one with the least armour. You have to be a quick thinker and have fast reflexes to make efficient use of him. Now, a player that does well with Ranger might do well with other classes but I'm sure there's a few players out there that really excel with the two other classes.

Malvos

[FnG]Malvos
Dec 6, 2004
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Naib said:
...I can understand a good ranger being able to play tech with no problem, as they both have hitscan weapons. However to be a good gunner you need a lot better prediction, as you have to acount for the time it takes a rocket to get somewhere...

The energy rifle needs some predicting skills as well, even more so for the secondary, but I'm sure most people only use this for turrets, tanks and a raptor heading straight for them(don't forget to boost jump).

PhatAzz

Phat n Pnunky Phreaky Phunny Phull
Sep 15, 2004
Okidioki, since I am starting to learn all the classes at this time. I can tell you the following:

Each class has it's own movement issues. If you've mastered ranger movement, it does not mean you've mastered tech's or gunner's.

Each class has it's own weapon issues as well.

I think if you have MASTERed the ranger class, you're good at hitscan weapons and hence you'll be pretty good with the tech and need to learn to adapt to the gunner's prediction.

Now, the time involved in MASTERING the ranger class involves aspects of XMP that crosses all of the classes. But I can tell you now, that even though you're a master ranger, and deside to play gunner or tech that you're not on par (or even close) with a master gunner or tech.

In order of ability, this is my semantics:
Master
Excellent
Good
Average
Below Average
Noob

Master Ranger -> Excellent Tech but definitely not a Master Tech.

Master Ranger -> Good Gunner but definitely not an excellent Gunner.

However, I do believe a Master ranger will have easier adaptation and better skills then master tech or gunner switching over to the other classes:

Master Tech -> Below Average Ranger

Master Tech -> Good-Average Gunner

Master Gunner -> Noob Ranger

Master Gunner -> Good-Average Tech

Also, now that I am learning to play Ranger, I can say that switching over to Gunner requires at least one or two full games to switch over to the other class and play it well as I usually do.

I guess the question is, Have I mastered gunner? Some of you will say yes, some no.

Of course there are game specific things that a person that's a rmaster ranger that will be noob at including: turret placement, mine placement. Etc etc.

A Master Ranger can not switch to Gunner and beat a Master Tech, Gunner, Ranger.
A Master Ranger can not switch to a Tech and beat a Master Tech, Gunner, Ranger.

So no, a person who masters Ranger is not a master of all classes, although on initial switch, they will generally be good at it from a battle perspective (but no experience on deployables).

Last edited:

[tH]Angelus

Father of Wings
Mar 16, 2004
www.thclan.co.uk
Every "good" ranger i know is also "good" with the other 2 classes, if they come top of a team with ranger, they will top a team with gunner or tech, i play ranger mainly, but i can easily switch between the classes at any time if im required to. However maybe thats because the good rangers are simply the "good players" in xmp that just by chance decided to play ranger... i dont think xmp is so class restricted and u can "learn classes", imo once uve mastered one (and i mean mastered, not just "hey left click fires") then uve mastered all. Good players > worse players in any class vs any class

Last edited:

dutch_gecko

Think Pink
Jun 16, 2004
www.dutch-gecko.co.uk
Well, I'm a good tech and a better gunner (took me a year to find out I was better with gunner than tech :eek: ), but I can't play ranger for toffee. I simply can't aim onto a small point accurately. In fact, if I do use ranger then its easier for me to use the sniper rifle than the pistol because I'm not just firing and praying I hit someone. So, it does take a certain kind of person to play ranger. Perhaps that person is more inclined to better at all classes, because he/she can aim well. I for one can't.

My €0.02.

.pot.OptimusPrime

Philosopher stoned
Nov 1, 2004
Finland
Nah. Usually the guys who own with ranger own with other classes as well coz they are usually the enthusiasts. And of course computers separate snipers from gunners coz hit-scan weapons tend to require high-end hardware and thick netcable. When I started playing XMP I began with ranger but my Duron started coughing so badly I switched to gunner. Phatazz´s post pretty much says what it´s all about. There´s so big difference between delayed and instant hit weapons that it´s quite hard to adapt. Gecko brought up the point about eye-hand coordination: some people have it, some don´t. Everybody can get better on it, but with same amount of practise some will always own others.

But in general: Your e-p3nis won´t grow by dissing other classes than your own. It´s pity so many rangers are so cocky and forget teamplay almost completely, at least in public games.

ºUaKºFactis

Jan 20, 2005
dutch_gecko said:
Well, I'm a good tech and a better gunner (took me a year to find out I was better with gunner than tech :eek: ), but I can't play ranger for toffee. I simply can't aim onto a small point accurately. In fact, if I do use ranger then its easier for me to use the sniper rifle than the pistol because I'm not just firing and praying I hit someone. So, it does take a certain kind of person to play ranger. Perhaps that person is more inclined to better at all classes, because he/she can aim well. I for one can't.

My €0.02.

Well said... however I would have to say (As someone who plays with a consistant ping of around 100 f6) that lower pings best suit the ranger class. Decreased lead time is always extremely helpfull with hitscan weapons (sniper lol) and gerenally people that flock to such weapons are lower pingers. That having been said, I find that if I adjust my sensativity much lower I can easily hit with a ranger... just have to correctly compensate for lag. I don't like playing ranger though, and find that most gunners in general do not like playing that class either.

[tH]Angelus

Father of Wings
Mar 16, 2004
www.thclan.co.uk
I find that if I adjust my sensativity much lower I can easily hit with a ranger... just have to correctly compensate for lag.
I play ranger mainly with sensitivity of 3.0 and my ping rarely goes below 100, i think as long as your ping is below 200 then its possible to play every class well and beyond that you go into the realms of only being able to use flamethrower and gas to compensate for lag etc. I dont think the sensi you use determines the class you play either as i said mine is 3.0 and i play mostly ranger, and when i change classes i keep my sensitivity the same although i know some who dont.

[DF]phalanx

bgutblower=true
Aug 15, 2002
manchester uk
Visit site
hmm ranger can move out of the way but a decent gunner and thier l33t prediction can take one out pretty easily and did i not say the lockons aimed correcty can get em to the head of anyone and kill em
techs can down em with well placed Gnadethats also like saying one u mastered gunner tho as well as each class has a prediction weapon
gunner - rocket launcer
tech - alt fire shotty
ranger - shock lance
its hard to say tho
in u2xmp i went from gunner to tech and mastered it quite quickly and bizzarly enough my best weapons were the EMP and AR both the prediction guns and as ranger i am pretty good with the shock lance and gnade (again prediction weapons)
so you could say either way for this

MÆST

Jan 28, 2001
WA, USA
I play ranger mostly but find myself switching to tech more and more often on public servers when teamates fail to get energy, set up defense etc. So usually when I switch to tech, it's just to accoplish a few quick things, but I have found the good old shotty to be quite powerful in a primarily ranger's hands should I have to do any fragging. I stay away from the gunner. I'd give it some time if it could CJ.

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
to ºUaKºFactis

truffle.gif

http://www.xoxtruffles.com

enjoy

Towanda

Aug 9, 2000
www.boteam.net
I play ranger about 99,95% of the time in u2xmp and a little less in UTXMP due to the zoombug with the ranger which makes me bored pretty fast, but i totally suck as gunner and tech, the only reason i play as a tech is to hack faster and when i play gunner i want do tripmine jump (I enjoy that :)) but i hardly ever get any kills) except "killed himself" when i play gunner or tech. As for ping, I would say unstable ping is the worst not a high one but playing with 20 ping one sec and 200 ping the next makes online hitting anyone pure luck. playing as a ranger with a 100-150 ping is not much harder then playing with a 50 ping, one just have to get used to what lead to use aiming.

Last edited: