realistic games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

punitore

Dec 23, 2003
hi!

i'm not here to say: what is the best realistic game?
i'm here to say: can you list all the realistic games you know, like INF? ALL

thanks bye!

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Well, i will not list every 'realistic in my opinion' games so i will just list the one that i play since some years without being bored : Operation Flashpoint.

Realistic enough for me, a very easy to use editor to keep me busy making my own quick missions, and an incredible AI to play with and against.
A pity i do not have time to play online, my few online games on it (coop missions) were really interesting.

Only low point in my opinion is the CQB simulation in buildings, it does not feel right in OFP (or maybe it is because i do not have a powerfull system enough to have a "smooth" experience in buildings).

But for the big scale combat part, it is very immersive, and it feels "realistic".

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
yes operation flashpoint is sweetness!
go get it from the budget pile. i payed 10 euro for OFP, Resistance and Red Hammer.

played online once, it's hard to find and begin a game, but it was great!

@fm, i must be dumb but i never figured out the editor. And there are more things about ofp that i never quite understood. Sometime when i reinstall it i'll ask you to explain some stuff. (My budget deal came without a manual btw)
cya ;)

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Very*

Yes**

Lots***

:D

* It's a lot of fun. Where it really shines for me is coop but it's fun generally because it has wide open terrain that actually works well. Not enough ground cover but you can generally get away with hiding in forests.

** 55 Servers / 304 Players visible using whatever filters I have selected in ASE

*** There's all sorts. Ballistic Studios make quality product. Decisive Killing Machines also make nice stuff. Suchey's Marine Assault Pack is another nice addon. Chain of Command do more esoteric stuff concerning AI and scripting.

Here's a couple of sites to get you started:
http://ofpec.com/
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
zeep said:
@fm, i must be dumb but i never figured out the editor. And there are more things about ofp that i never quite understood. Sometime when i reinstall it i'll ask you to explain some stuff. (My budget deal came without a manual btw)
cya ;)

I advice you to download this .pdf (wrote in english) " Über editor Tutorial ", it really helped me a very lot at the beginning, when i was clueless on the editor and it is a good reading.
As every explanations are illustrated by screenshots it is easy to understand.

Even if it was created before Resistance , most of what you can read will help you even now.
A lot better and complete (a .pdf of 300 pages !) than the official manual about the editor.

On this editing FAQ topic of the Bohemia Interactive forum you will find a good amount of hints and help about "How to...." in the editor.

This should get you started , and more ;) , in the mission editor.

If you have any question , register at the ofp "official" forum , there is a lot of helpfull people in the "Mission Editing & Scripting" forum .
I am registered under the nickname "Sanctuary" there.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Combat Mission: Afrika Corps - A great silmultaneous-turn-based strategy game, requires alot of thought, and you skill can be improved with real military experience or research. Most matches are quite long, long enough that there is an option to play by email. Shorter 30 minute quick games are possible but not as fun. The game is full 3D and features hundreds of real WW2 units with real textures, as well as a very simple yet versatile mission editor.
>>CMAK Screenshot<<

IL2 Sturmovik/Forgotten Battles/Ace Expansion Pack/Pacific Fighters - A rare experience to have a game name longer than a URL to the game. The best and most realistic WW2 flight simulator I have ever played, up in the ranks with Microsoft's flight simulators. Tons of fun too, realistic games like this reward you for taking the time to aim your sights at the bombs or engines rather than flailing around the plane. And they punish you for trying to throttle too quickly in an ME262 :)
>>IL2 Screenshot<<

Mafia - Perhaps not designed as a simulator, and certainly not a realistic shooter. But the car physics in this game exceed the realism of any other racer, even Gran Turismo.
>>Mafia Screenshot<<

Last edited:

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
-Falcon 4.0 + Sp4.1 and other patches/add-ons. Can't get more "real" than that...
-Simbin's GTR (press demo available) will be closest to real driving on a PC when it is out. (www.simbin.com). The demo in it self is stunning.
-Deer hunter 4 is the most accurate....er..ok I'm kidding.

//Kee

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Raven Shield and it's expansion, Athena Sword. Apart from the glorified crosshair, it's a pretty realstic experience, especially the movement (i.e. no fast strafing). I've never much cared for online play in the public servers, but in a proper team doing proper missions, it can be very fun.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
MP_Lord_Kee said:
Forgot Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) which I recently started to get into again...

//Kee
Ah yes, the MS flight sim series. Great fun, extremely realistic (if you have a stiff enough forcefeedback stick), but their textures suck compared to IL2. Maybe its because they demand DirectX, but the textures really really suck.

Lord Belial

Loose Cannon
Word to Falcon 4.0 on realism, but I certainly don't think it was a fun game. I bought it in a budget pack with Apache-Havoc and M1 Tank Platoon 2. Falcon 4.0 has a learning curve at about 89 degrees to horizontal and I don't think it'd be fun until you properly learnt it. Apache-Havoc on the other hand was great fun (even though it didn't let you configure your controls and thought my 9 button joystick only had 2) and M1 2 absolutely sucked like the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

I reckon OpFlash is fantastic for realism, because it made me feel like a real soldier. In other words, I wanted to run away from every battle I encountered and hide.

Turin_Turambar

Pls don´t shoot to the Asha´man
Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
Infiltration should be "the Falcon 4" of military fps. ;)

Btw, the learning curve isn´t so steep, it have a great manual with 600 pages (50% training missions) and the game has 3 modes of realism to choose.