UT2kX DM-Atowee [Beta]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
Greetings!
Behold, DM-Atowee, a DM map for UT2004 that I'm working on while waiting for new hardware to continue work on my UDK project.

So far, this is about 2 weeks of work and I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

Here are some screenshots for you to check out:
[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6154023/Maps/Atowee/Shot00007.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6154023/Maps/Atowee/Shot00009.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6154023/Maps/Atowee/Shot00010.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

And here's the Download link!

Let me know what you think of the map! :)

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
looks great! d/l now.:)

update: One sticky spot is the jumppad to the top. If you are running into it, you can get snagged at the top, so the arc is a little off:

2013-05-28_00001_zps04b72b8f.jpg

Assume bot pathing will be adjusted and improved, but otherwise, a very smooth playing level so far! Nice work.

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
hey nelson that sexy map its great and tasteful mmmm awaiting for the release :)

offtopic: Hey evilmrfrank! I recall that map called anahita or so for ut2k4 it does look very clean and nice map! ...is the development status currently abandoned or so?

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
I'd be a dirty liar if I told you I was not inspired by one of his maps (altitude it's called I think).

Thanks for the feedback! I'll hopefully get around to fixing that jump in the next couple of days :)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Very nice and compact map, probably suited for 1v1, smaller TDM and generic FFA modes with normal weapons and InstaGib alike. (I'll have to test Betrayal on this map. :D) I particularly like the amount of Z-axis and that you don't get stuck at the edges of the map. Also there's an almost consistent use of appropriate footstep sounds. (The wooden floor areas seem to be default surfaces instead of wood ones, probably an issue with the texture or shader used there.)

Apart from the jump-to-lg problem, I found some other, but much smaller issues:
  • Not all of the wood planks creak when you walk over them.
  • The jumppad emitters look like "reverse smoke" when viewed from above, due to the particles getting smaller over time.
And then there are the "consistency" things: I hear wind noise, but hardly any visual indications for them. (That red cloth hardly moves, leaves don't move at all, etc.) Also, where did the water come from? The skybox suggests a floating rock above a dessert landscape and the sky is clear.

And finally a nice-to-have request for one of the most under-used features: Use of proper I3DL2Listeners via ZoneInfo -> ZoneSound -> ZoneEffect and PhysicsVolume -> VolumeEffect. Things should sound different, depending on where you are, inside or outside. But that's more a request for when you start adding volumes to the map. (I do realize you weren't at that stage yet for this beta release.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
...and that was a compliment, btw :)

Couldn't have taken that as anything negative even if I wanted to. I like his levels.

[...long text...]

I'm glad I didn't follow my initial impulse to just release the map as posted here. These seem to be fairly small changes on the whole with a bigger overall effect. Thanks for the feedback!

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Oh, one more thing: The map doesn't scale down its visual complexity on lower world detail settings. Obviously only "eye candy" should be removed, i.e. nothing that might affect gameplay due to collision or blocked line of sight.