Who Killed PC Gaming?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Industry Gamers asks the ever-popular question: Who Killed PC Gaming? Nearing the top of the list - at number two - is Windows Vista:

Vista's security measures were highly annoying to certain indie developers, since programs without the right software certificates would often be deleted by the OS. Vista also had very high system requirements and PC games typically ran slower than they did in Windows XP. Games for Windows never did lead to the high level of interaction and cross-compatibility with games on Xbox Live, nor did it significantly reduce the issues many users have with PC titles. The initial subscription charge for Games for Windows - Live was also a big mistake, leaving it chasing other subscription free services on PC like Steam.

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
so basically it's all microsofts fault? Fair comment I guess.

To be fair, the naming and shaming of vista doesn't highlight the most objective and informed opinion, since almost every complaint about vista comes from people who fail to realise that the feature that annoys them so can just be turned off and seems lodged in complaints that were valid for 6 weeks after release and certainly not today.

I found the comments (well, most of them) the most interesting read compared to the tabloid style paragraphs for each reason.

Personally I *don't* think PC gaming is dying, in fact I think completely the opposite. There are factors of hundreds more people playing games on PC compared to 10 years ago, they just aren't spending their money in the games shops that devote one dusty corner to pc's and have nothing but sims addons, flight sim addons and WoW (plus of course all those budget titles that no one has looked at since 94).

Casual gaming, steam sales, THAT is where your numbers are. I'd be pretty sure that more people have played desktop tower defense than gears of war 2 and the player numbers on tf2 could hardly be described as 'in decline'....I bet if m$ could pull those sort of nightly numbers for ANY xbox360 title they would cream in their jeans.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
First of all, their chart is flawed because it only contains NPD data which doesn't include digitally distributed sales from: Steam, Impulse, Direct2Drive, EA Store, Ubisoft downloadthingy, GreenHouse, ..

And yes, Microsoft is a major cause. Not shipping DirectX 10 to XP made things difficult to developers. Trying to brand the PC gaming with a severely crippled "Games for Windows" brand. "Game Explorer" in Vista is one of the most retarded features added in Vista. Microsoft lost focus on a lot of markets with their "Live!" stuff, and gaming suffered a lot from it.

Well, I believe obviously the PC gamers themselves killed the once beloved PC gaming. High piracy rates and wrong attitude towards PC gaming (You MUST pay for FUN? No, you can torrent it instead for FREE) have forced the industry to take countermeasures which led to big disadvantages for the PC gamers, such as delayed release dates - prioritising the safe console world - and simplified interfaces (with HUGE letters), dull controls, strong DRM, persistant licence supervison and thus sacrifice of privacy, but also mainstream orientation in terms of gameplay mechanics. In other words: Games were stultified in order to appeal to a larger audience in the hope of an increase in profits!

Copyright infringement (piracy is a completely different thing) has always been around, it was here 30 years ago, and it will stay here. If you lose sales on these copyright infringers is high debatable. You're probably better off accepting it and save the enormous trouble of including the draconian DRM. Simple levels of DRM stops a lot of casual copying, and doesn't bother anyone. People that want to download a copy without paying will always manage to do so. Of course, not releasing a real demo doesn't help either.

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
just having lower quality of games in general is the reason why I don't want to spend more than 20 euros on a game, unless it is out of the ordinary and worth the extra bucks.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
High requirement games that are optimized/polished like ass.

That reason always gets overlooked.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
A completely new audio stack (removing directsound and hardware mixing) and adoptation/preferential video rendering (opengl running on top of d3d...) make Vista really unattractive for gaming and only serve to add another level of OS support for dev. Quite simply a lot of stuff that's been working for the past 10+ years is either degraded, broken, or just not there any more.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
so basically it's all microsofts fault?

Microsoft cow games? Pretty much. Especially now that they got their business in the console world for a few years now :rolleyes:, left us to the cold, promoting their ****s first, ALWAYS. They're definitively a reason why PC gaming is dead. Steam did anything to improve PC gaming. You can tell the difference between Steam and "M$ games".

They have the worse console of all times (community too), that gets heart attacks for whatever reasons, it's just a matter of time. I hate Microsoft games with a passion. Microsoft should have sticked to OS, they are still good at that when done right.

Last edited:

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Yep, Microsoft did it. They abandoned the PC in favour of the Xbox and let PC gaming rot. They also encouraged the development of crappy and delayed ports such as the Halo 1+2 and Gears of War.

weisso

Project Lead - Unreal Demolition
Jan 6, 2003
Bellevue, WA
www.dwgames.net
They're seriously saying requiring programs to not require admin rights is a problem? It doesn't take long to setup user files and avoid any UAC popups in your programs and push all write access stuff to your user file folders....

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Retail PC gaming probably has suffered, but that suffering has lead to quite a bit more innovation in the PC market, which in turn has lead to more games being ported to the PC. The article only comments on data from 2007, and I personally think 2008 and 2009 have, so far, been the best years for the PC since the mid-90s.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
i believe there are many factors that are hurting PC gaming. Sony and Microsoft have huge PR teams and money to market their consoles. meanwhile we have the PC Gaming Alliance citing statistics and not doing anything that filters through to the consumer to really promote the platform.

so many times i have heard "PC games look like ****" and so on not realizing that you may have to actually get a videocard. these are new gamers and unless they're introduced by word of mouth or are looking for that information, they really don't know how much more powerful PC gaming is than the console option.

i contacted the PC Gaming Alliance about everyone with an interest in seeing PC gaming ramp up cough up money for advertising. if AMD, Intel, Nvidia, EVGA, MSI, BFG, Dell, Logitech (the list goes on and on) would each put money forward for a robust advertising campaign then PC even though its a major player for gaming already, would start to get more attention from the mainstream.

you're in middleschool and all you see are Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 commercials. That is essentially their window for incoming information. Commercials for the PC are important as people react strongly to visuals. WOW's success was strengthened even further by their commercials. if there were a TV spot for Crysis along with "http://games.ea.com/crysis/" with a spot dedicated to showing the consumer how to get into PC gaming for their game i believe that would've helped a lot.

PC gaming needs this kind of thing because everyone i have introduced to PC gaming has made the switch and their consoles are now collecting dust.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
dude, everyone has a PC and internet access now, and that's probably where they get the brunt of video game advertising.
I hardly ever see an ad on TV unless it's between 12:00am and 3:00am.

So, in that case it would either be a monetary limitation or a technical knowledge/pain in the butt limitation for people.

To solve that you have premanufactured PC's, but if you want a gaming level PC you are paying 2-4 times the amount of a console which can already play a lot of the same games, plus others you can't get anywhere else.

I don't know, PC gaming has it's sweet highs, and it's extreme lows.
You gotta be either a hardcore sunofabiatch or a rich bastard to keep up with it.
________
Live sex webshows

Last edited:

-=WolverinE=-

Apr 16, 2006
What? Vista is the reason for the PC gaming downfall? That's retarded. Games run better on Vista / Windows 7 if your PC is new (not some old p.o.s.). Besides, it's the only working x64 windows so far and Windows 7 is going to replace it. It's about damn time for devs to start using the 64-bit code ffs! It's 2009!

Agent4054

Jan 25, 2008
I think I missed the memo that said PC gaming is dead. Sure doesn't look like it from where I'm sitting.