Slow Framerate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

New2this

Aug 13, 2001
Wisconsin
Visit site
I'm working on a world that has a really large open room, and alot of hidden spots to shoot people from in the room, but the problem is that when you get 12 -16 players in the room, my computer starts to really slow down, and I'm not running a slow computer

Computer Specs:
Dell Dimension 8100
1.4 Ghz pentium 4 processor
256MB RDRAM
32MB DDR NVIDA GeForce2 4X AGP Graphics card\

Is there any tricks i can use (besides turning it all into one complex object) to make this map run smoother?

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
Do a forum search on this one now!!!. It has been discussed so many times !!!!!!!!!!.

Besides, turning that particular area of the map into a complex object (in this case ) will slow down your level even more, since if even a part of that object comes into view the engine has to draw the whole object. use stat fps (type into the command bar) and try to keep it within the cliffyb's limits:-

Target counts would be, on average, 400 polys. Try to keep the node counts at that level as low as possible, and keep a sharp eye on occlusion time.

You can find a full listing of all the console commands here:

http://unreal.epicgames.com/Console.htm

ZodiaK

irresponsible walrus
Feb 14, 2000
onboard The Mothership
ameba.lpt.fi
and 400 poly's (you can see the amount of polys currently in view by typing "stat fps" at the console - this only works ingame, not in editor) is still a bit high. lots of ppl still play with p300-500s and older graph cards (like voodoo2/tnt/tnt2) which won't run 400-poly maps smoothly.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
High Poly scenes shouldn't contain Dynamic lighting, Volumetric lighting, too many Meshes, funky special FX..etc.

Try trashing some of the unnecessary eye-candy or apply some view blocking solid objects. Using Low shadow detail or Über-low shadow detail (High+Low checked at the same time) on some surfaces might help.

Stat Global will give you more info. (Occ and Illum can be important...)

Keep Occlusion under 15 by correct zoning and more viewblock/tighter architecture.

Keep Illumination under 2-3 by less detailed lightmaps.