DR BOT's 100th ANNIVERSARY SUPER COMPITITION ULTRA MEGA BIG MAP EXTRAVAGANZA!!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hey Look at THis!

• Hey thats a great idea! Your cool!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Wha? What are you talking about?

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Are you talking again?

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I like pancakes.

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
DrBot, you have my map in your inbox. CTF-Wharfism. I do so hope the "submit map" link on aspie's page gets working by next week. I'm sure it will be much easier on everyone. The site looks great so far Aspie! I appreciate all your hard work! Good luck to all (both?) enterants!

NVerxion

Ethereal
Sep 9, 2000
Orlando, FL
no, like i said before i didnt have time this week. hopefully things will slow down enough next time and i can get something submitted.

aspie

It's all good baby.
Feb 24, 2001
Australia
The site

We'll i enquired about hosting at PlanetUnreal.com but i didn't get a reply. How slack is that????

So my good friend Eliminator has decided to give us some virtual property at http://www.unrealcore.com/utmc/ (the site isn't uploaded yet)

along with the offer of a news database with login so everyone can make a post

our own forum at:
http://www.unrealcore.com/forum/

and, wait for it, a submit page for maps and relevant files.

i know it ain't planetunreal but if their not even going to reply to my hosting request then...

Hmmm do we only have two entrants in the first map?

can all the judges please mail me with their desired username.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
DrBot or anyone,
I don't have a map to submit, but I do have an idea as to another type of mapping competition you could hold.
The theme is King of the hill. The Idea is a single domination control point in a map and two or more teams battle for control. Maps will be judged on looks, style, layout, bot support, unique ideas added used, etc.
I would hold the competition myself but have no web site or anyplace to submit maps to. So if you or anyone likes the idea and goes with it great, if not, oh well.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I suppose I could have been more specific but in my idea I was trying to start something that wouldn't be limited, but would include anything the imagination could think up. It would be one of the ways you would judge the map. Based on the theme they use and how well they execute it. Rating it also on the fact that the creator of the map would need to go so far as to create their own textures and/or actors to make it better. maybe that's a little extreme to begin with.
If a theme is needed though, I suppose that a urban/industrial theme is a good place to start, and work from there.

NVerxion

Ethereal
Sep 9, 2000
Orlando, FL
i think king of the hill sounds cool, only it may not work for each and every contest. i mean the theme might get old after a while. i think the limits should be there, but they should be minimal allowing for creativity. i think the only limits should be theme and maybe file size. that way each map can be compared and judged equally.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
True, true. I agree. Some limitations need to be set. I think that those limitations are good.
The idea can get old, and will. But it's still cool.

aspie

It's all good baby.
Feb 24, 2001
Australia
I got an email from qapete@planetunreal.com about hosting but i couldn't understand it, what does it mean to you:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

OK
You don't have permission to access /utcomp/index.htm on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Pete
-PlanetUnreal Site Director

---------------------------------------------------------------------

aspie

It's all good baby.
Feb 24, 2001
Australia
You just gotta remember that the original idea of the comp was to set a challenge (of sorts) to mappers and to confine them (of sorts, again) to a certain way the map has to be made.

These map requirements don't always have to be a theme (e.g. make the best map that is centred around some docks or wharfs) they can also be include general map types (e.g. make the best outer space level that only uses the rocket launcher) or just even based around a 'custom' game type (e.g. make the best 'King of the Hill" map).

I think that while this competition is still young we should use my first two examples and when the comp progresses to a higher experience level (i'm guessing that in some stage in the future we might need a novice league and a veteran league) we can make our own game types for mappers to build around or mod makers who need maps for there mod can request a mapping comp for there mod.

NVerxion

Ethereal
Sep 9, 2000
Orlando, FL
drbot, question......

i only have aspie's map here...i'm just wondering if maybe you have it too. are you just judging novice's or both? i think the judges need to communicate in order to get things done right:)

NVerxion

Ethereal
Sep 9, 2000
Orlando, FL
well i just got home from work...looks like i missed 5:30 by a long time:) 10 hour shifts are too long. i've already got some comments together concerning aspie's entry only im not sure as to how you want the judging done. should we give one overall score, several scores (like on gameplay and visuals and such), or should we give comments and stuff. what are the rules for judging man?