[NEWS] Every map in UT2007 will be set on the same planet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

truegamer

Jul 25, 2005
You know... I've been pushing for a sporty tournament styled single player experience since UT2003's leaks (which had one!)... having all combat be on one planet almost suggests they might be doing this.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That people are actually believing it worries me more than what it says.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
This does actually make a lot of sense. It could be that they are going to flesh out a stronger and more feasible storyline, because it is coming out on console therefore requires a nice singleplayer, not just botmatch. In UT games how exactly do you teleport around to these different planets? using translocator? it was just not clear.

Im guessing they will have a map of the planet in singleplayer where you can choose arenas to fight, rather than choosing off a text list. Just makes the whole experience a lot less abstract. I hope they do make a lot of things in the story more clear, like how does respawning work? are the competitors actually fighting physically or is it virtual reality?

Last edited:

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Selerox said:
Every map in UT2007 will be set on the same planet.
That doesn't scare me. Like others have said: it's not important on how much planets the map take place, but how much themes the maps include. Just because dozens of science-fiction movies/books make us believe that planets have 1 geographic area, doesn't mean it's actually true.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
Selerox said:
Maybe that's Epic's idea for the future. One planet full of players, interlinked maps. I'd put cash on it being a future goal for Epic.
Actually if I remember rightly that was the original plan for Unreal 1, way back in the design phase. I bet you'd be right about that, it's too interesting an idea for Epic to have just forgotten about- and the technology now exists.

Anyway, like people are saying, one planet won't limit variety (unless they take it literally and won't even have anything set in space). What it will limit are map remakes, Deck could turn out to be the only one. Not necessarily a bad thing, but you can bet we'll be seeing fifty gazillion versions of Rankin and Face remakes...

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I really like ports. I just want them to get a scale consistant so they are pheasible.

I'd love to be able to play waisten, achilles, bishop, closer, curse, codex, and deck back to back. Then throw a couple new maps in their, and it would be endless hours of fun.

New classics are good, but no reason for old classics to die.

My first thought on that statement though is: What maps can we think of that are really "un-earthly"? Tokara, and Magma are the only things that pops into my head, maybe spacenoxx, or lucious, but they hardly count. Most of ther played maps are stuff that could be seen on earth, and mostly becuse everything people from earth make will be derivative of that.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Waisten? A good classic?

There was so many DEck Remakes out there, i guess that all the unreal's got it. So i bet it will hit ut2007 too.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Kantham said:
^ Possibly it is because it's all true stuff?
I trust Epic before game magazine articles... vis-a-vis PSM.

It just doesn't seem feaasible. All the maps being on one planet will limit how many remakes can be made. It just made sense for arenas to be on different planets, just like sports arenas are in different cities and countries.

Maybe Epic is heading toward the global warfare type of game, but I sincerely doubt they are taking EVERY gametype that way. Maybe every ONS or Conquest map is on the same planet but I doubt that every DM/CTF/etc map will be.

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Remember we've seen shots of -

1)The goliath, Malcolm and the "red armour guy" in a gothic/castle type setting.
2)The angry PS3 guy and Malcolm in a futuristic tech kinda place.
3)The E3 demo set in part of a city.

Thats at least 3 different themes so far. They have also mentioned a robot factory, and of course Deck17.

Last edited:

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
hal said:
I'm sure if they try hard they can come up with a way to implement a floating pyramid, a fetid sewer, some sort of eternal cave, possibly a sub pen, at least some kind of command center, something a little dreary, perhaps a factory with a conveyor, a monastery on a floating precipice, and most definitely some sort of floating ship.

See what I mean? ;)
NO MORE EGYPTIAN PYRAMID LEVELS. I want more spaceships.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Sir_Brizz said:
It just doesn't seem feaasible. All the maps being on one planet will limit how many remakes can be made. It just made sense for arenas to be on different planets, just like sports arenas are in different cities and countries.

To me, different planets seems a lot less feasible than one planet. Its the future but still why would they waste so much money sending competitors half way across the galaxy for every fight? Makes more sense that they would build each arena either from scratch or heavily modify some natural location/building because they need to get the gameplay of the arena just right (a parallel to Epic making the maps for UT2007 itself).

I also liked the idea of matches taking place in colossal domed arenas in the middle of a dirty, overpopulated city, just like the intro of UT99 if you remember. As for more alien locations (tokara, antalus etc) they could just as easily simulate those on the planet too. Single planet does not limit variety in any way.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
since when did epic say that all maps on the one planet, last time i heard it was that that bunches of map where going to be connected, and in the same enviroment, same visual theme ect, eg egyptian deally, gothic building , robot world , industrial facility and so on

Don't know how much epic can pull out of one planet, though most of the original UT was set on earth

Many planets would be far better since gears of war is already going to be on one planet, as was UC2

Rather would like to see na pali make it into some maps aswell as some Space maps, or a necris world

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
I read that, i didn't see the magazine article so i don't no how it reads, or if is a mistake, like for example the mistake that UT2007 was a PS3 launch title a couple of weeks ago, or when Epic prematurely anounced Unreal Engine 4.0 in development for two years when it is infact a research project on paper.

How epic initialy describe how maps themes would be handled last year is different to having only one planet!

Some scans or transcription of that article would be helpful!

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
That's the Question.

gregori said:
since when did epic say that all maps on the one planet

There was no quote in the article, but the meaning was 100% clear. It stated that it was being done to help bring more cohesion to the game. Which is all-in-all a pretty specific set of things to say about a game, unless you know you're right.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Selerox said:
There was no quote in the article, but the meaning was 100% clear. It stated that it was being done to help bring more cohesion to the game. Which is all-in-all a pretty specific set of things to say about a game, unless you know you're right.

Damn! Wasn't hoping for one planet myself, they tried that in UC2 with the future egyptian theme, and whilst the got a few good maps out of it, much better than 2k4 in fact, it felt a bit stretched overall//no space/lava maps

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
I really don't see why they would only have one planet. If they want to keep to the original Unreal story wouldn't they have the nali and skarjj planets to fight on?

Or leave different themed planets empty to be used by mappers?

As I, as well as others have said, I really don't see this effecting variety at all. The fact that so many people are jetting upset over this with out knowing what it will even be like is disconcerting to me. :hmm:

Sett

Jan 14, 2002
Visit site
I though of an idea where each mapper would get a city block or some plot of land allocated to him/her.

From that city, different game types could use the same geometry.

One thing that has to be considered is the size of these 2k7 maps. With the normal maps added on to maps that weigh in at 20 to 50 megs already the d/l from a game server would be taxing.

If epic could (should) host the pieces of the planet.