Lemons server

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Why do you play on this server ?

• i like new maps

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • I like new mutators (like IBT)

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • I like DTAS

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Good ping on it

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Populated server

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Updates frequent

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Admin is sexy

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sir_edmond

In my own world
Aug 12, 2003
Boston
Visit site
The Only thing I have with the jumping is that it breaks some old maps, as they have routes that you must jump to get through but you can no longer jump as far when you have it on. Not to mention its bloody annoying to crawl slower than a snail.

theRoadStroker

A Dickcheese Faggot
May 28, 2005
i agree with don

and one more very importent thing ..... IBT is beta ! don asked cong to release it before it was even finnished.

and for the most cases people whine about ibt is cuz it makes the game alot harder to play and easier to pick of if you try to use your matrix strafe dodge dance or cant counter shoot while being shoot at, ppl cant take it when they get "OWNadated" so easy

maybe less whining and more helping is better ?

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Well, I agree with Crack and Geo. I don't really like IBT.

While I have not had enough time to truly take a look at it, there are a few major points that I totally disagree with. One is the jumping. You can never jump, and as some people say, that kills your movement in the maps. Second is how hastily conceived it is. It feels like a quick, slapped together fix it all path. The beauty of INF that puts it above all other simulations is that it feels real. And as Geo has said, you don't achieve that with a quickly put together mutator. To illustrate, I've been working on changing an MIRC script for over 2 years now. And it only addresses about 2 or 3 bugs. Thats what doing something right takes. I'm sure the author put some work into the mutator but I just don't agree with it.

The biggest thing I disagree with is making the recoil on the ACOG the same as the iron sights. THATS UNREALISTIC. Think about it. You are looking through a scope. In reality, the amount of kick is going to seem to be proportional to the amount of magnification. The higher the magnification, the more the kick (up) will seem to be. Not to mention that other realistic effects were left out like the slight split second disorientation you get after firing a scoped weapon. Overcoming that takes a lot of training. I don't see much of a difference in comparison of vanilla and IBT, but like I said I haven't had much time to realllllly try it, so I'll just make my arguement for realism.

And, for the most part, I pretty much agree with the kick in Vanilla INF.
Maybe SOME of the guns could be recoil tweaked a little (extremely slight).
Actually, I think some of the recoil should be higher. i.e the AKMSU, the AKM, the G3, etc. These are light guns with large bullets. I once had an SKS that was converted to full auto. It had a very light wooden stock on it. I put it to my shoulder to shoot on full auto. BIG MISTAKE :D . After about 6 rounds exiting, I was stumbling backwards and looking at the sky!
(Then there was the time the trigger jammed on a full clip, but thats another story... :rolleyes: ) The AKM I own is only semi auto but it has a good kick as well.

The only gun that I can think of that really needs a recoil reduction is the minimi. Now that gun has been balanced. Its not even recoil, it feels like there is just something very wrong with the whole firing animation. The higher rate of fire is surely going to cause more recoil. But come on, its heavier than the M16 and yet it kicks you all over the place. From the video footage that I have seen on CNN and other places, it appears to have about as much or just slightly more kick as the M16 on full auto. Maybe someone who has actually fired it could give some pointers for the firing animation.

All in all, I think IBT takes away from realism, and shoots the game back toward True Combat, BF2, etc.

By the way, I saw that FN is coming out with a 7.62 minimi in the future.

@Lemon - lol, sorry to continue hijacking your thread.

Last edited:

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
I think the difficulty is realism vs balance. The Minimi was programmed with more recoil for balance sake, iirc SS said that.
For IBT i agree that more time could be put into the recoil, i don't like the m4a1 which is my standard loadout normally. Also fully agree on jumping, it's not working for me. I'm used to jumping a certain distance, it's all out of whack now.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
theRoadStroker said:
Funny. Still to me it seems logical that mutators installed on Lemon's server get discussed in Lemon's Server thread. I'm not saying i won't play there, sure i will, but i won't keep my mouth shut over things i'd like to see different. On the other hand, i won't say 'play somewhere else' if someone doesn't agree with me.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
About your unreal coop server Lemon : the main problem is that it doesn't show in the "Infiltration all" browser. It could be a cool server to wait on for other players to join, but if most people don't see it's pointless.
Also, it seems you have forgotten to add the microbulk mut. That or it doesn't work with WP weapons...

Stinkmarder

[JgKdo]
Feb 3, 2001
Germany
geogob said:
[...] Now. How is all that done in game might i risk to ask? By jumping. This is a major flaw in most realistic-oriented game... movement. The fact that these game the same movement scheme developed with Doom, Wolfenstein 3D and cie. is a problem. But until you find alternatives to the current movement basis used you cannot start chopping it down. [...]
I agree with you except for one thing: There is no jumping in Doom and Wolfenstein. ;)

ant75 said:
About your unreal coop server Lemon : the main problem is that it doesn't show in the "Infiltration all" browser. It could be a cool server to wait on for other players to join, but if most people don't see it's pointless.
Ack!
Also, it seems you have forgotten to add the microbulk mut. That or it doesn't work with WP weapons...
Monster Hunt with microbulk seems pointless to me. Monsters won't have a change against your M249plus10ammocans loadout.
Conserving ammo and not running dry just the moment a Skaarj Warrior starts chasing you is the challenge here. ;)

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Stinkmarder said:
Monster Hunt with microbulk seems pointless to me. Monsters won't have a change against your M249plus10ammocans loadout.
Conserving ammo and not running dry just the moment a Skaarj Warrior starts chasing you is the challenge here. ;)

Except that there are too many monsters to finish the level with a standard loadout. It's silly when you have to commit suicide and respawn at the begining of the level because you had no ammo to continue.

Last edited:

Lemon.fr

SkaarjFruit
Oct 28, 2003
France, Cannes
Visit site
@Zeep: i would prefer you guys discuss about ibt in the development forum...:)

@Ant & Stinkmarder : I will let Stinkmarder build the final server for this fun game mode (his idea after all :p), but i can open one for few hours if needed, i would try it with more players, so it is online for this evening.

82.234.161.179:17777

Last edited:

Stinkmarder

[JgKdo]
Feb 3, 2001
Germany
ant75 said:
Except that there are too many monsters to finish the level with a standard loadout. It's silly when you have to commit suicide and respawn at the begining of the level because you had no ammo to continue.
hmm... ok :)

Lemon.fr said:
@Ant & Stinkmarder : I will let Stinkmarder build the final server for this fun game mode (his idea after all :p)
Thanx ;)
But uploading UT+INF+BP+WP+Unreal+otherstuff to my server will take some days hours over my 128k line and I'm not at home this weekend so don't expect anything to happen before next week or so.
82.234.161.179:17777
Bah. Everytime I checked, it was offline :(

--
edit: downloading directly to server saves a lot of time...

Last edited:

Lemon.fr

SkaarjFruit
Oct 28, 2003
France, Cannes
Visit site
Hi,
The hard disk is doing a strange noise since few days, as you know this laptop is running 24/7 since october 2005, because it is also my internet gateway, firewall, public ftp, i have to keep it in good health.
I shut it down when this is not required (no dtas matches these days) until i find a way to reduce maintenance on it, prices for a laptop HD (20Gb is enought) are not so much on ebay but im looking for another way. (Thinking of a ramdrive or usb key that could store all the OS and stuffs...HD Free !)
This is not the end yet :)

Lemon.fr

SkaarjFruit
Oct 28, 2003
France, Cannes
Visit site
No internet for the last 2 weeks :( (ADSL line problems),
ISP doesn't know if it comes from the modem or the line (they suck!)

As you know i have lot of old hardware hidden im my house ;) and i found an old Speedtouch510 modem, i flashed an unofficial firmware allowing me to connect in ADSL1 only (half bandwidth of ADSL2+) on my ISP.

So Riviera server is not dead but in sleep mode :)

hara

Where's my backup?
Aug 24, 2004
That's some good news. I miss smashing your harddisk. What's up with it, btw? Did you solve the problem?