Another CPU temperature thread.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
Ok so i got my sound card, and its awesome. I can't use my speakers beacuse they have some propriatory gateway connector bull****, but i have some good headphones.

Anyway, when I loaded up the comp and got everything loaded, the MP3's were studdering again, but not nearly as bad or much. I was wonder wtf was going on. It wasn't the software either. I tried 3 diffrent programs. Might be the drivers but i have the newest drivers for the Fortissimo III. It was hot as **** in my room, and i was playing BF1942. I know thats a system hog, and uses the CPU a lot. I specifically did this too see if the studdering would come back.

Seems to me that the studdering is caused by the CPU getting hot. Im listen to tunes right now flawlessly, and im running a software probe that came with my mobo. Says my CPU is about 105f. thats good, but I checked in the BIOS when I was having problems, and its said 125. The BIOS probe seems to detect on the high side, but 125? I have Athlon XP 2600+ 333FSB. I don't think 125 is that bad, but i think remembering that 120 was about when you start having probs. I got my room temp down and its working good again, and thank god winter is coming.

So.. my questions are...

Is 125 about 52c too hot for my CPU and this is in a hot room. Haven't tested BF1942 temps in a cooler room.

and, which is should i trust? The software probe or the BIOS. The mobo temp in the BIOS and software both concure, but the CPU temps differ.

Im going to go check what the BIOS says my temp is, the software says is 104 now.

The BIOS says 120F. ehh i don't trust that. All i've done is web browse and play mp3s, wich uses less than 3% cpu. anyway, thanks in advance.

oh and my heatsink isn't the best thing in the world, but its better than the stock one.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
yah its nowhere near 120, i just touched the heatsink. I was body temperature. so that means it was really like 110 when i had trouble. ehhh i must be on crack.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
well it depends on your CPU, but i know that all AMD's are around 85-90 degrees celcius die temp, and Intel's couldn't be too far off. It gets to around 30c in my room, i just get one of those tabletop fans and put it beside my case. Always keep your case OPEN.

When your overclocking buddies say "i've got 6 40mm fans in MY tower!" you can say "i've got 1 400mm fan in MY tower!"

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I was going to write a bunch of stuff, but it's 7:30am and I haven't slept, so I'll just leave it to RogLee.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
lol i have 7 fans , and newst bios. its ok its working fine now. I cranked up the AC and closed my door. running at a cool 100F idle, 108 100% workload.

I re-wired everything in my comp, and airflow is MUCH better. I think the sound card was also new, and hadn't 'broken' in or something...

about 188CFM airflow.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
ehh downloaded some driver from windows update, and upgraded to DX 9.0b and it seems to be clearer now

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
lol yah i guess it was just drivers, I run about 42-44 full load. i guess thats good...