After playing UT99 & 2K4...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Sure we are like that :) And that's not quite just flaming, both sides agree that their sides aren't perfect and that other sides have something really cool, but still prefer their ones :)

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I like and play both games, however I'm glad that UT2004 was tons different than the original because if it wasn't it'd be UT99 just with slight tweaks and better graphics. There would be no reason to really get it because those things could have been added in a bonus pack.

SorayMustDie

Approach me and DIE!!
Feb 24, 2008
Missed out Olden, what a loss :D And Cryptic is not a stock map in the original UT1, it's from a bonus pack.

Yeap, when you get used to one, the other one gets harder. Tried jumping over pools of slime? ;)

Bot customisation is really shortened, but that's because those bots are heroes, that way you get to know the characters in other games. If you want to fully customise one, you need to create a new bot type (still didn't get a reply on how to do that :con: ). Still, if you spectate, you have to admit that the spectate button is supremely useful :) And other customisations like that.

No one forces you to play DDOM. Play classic domination: http://browse.files.filefront.com/U...assic Domination 2/;1325597;/browsefiles.html

Nope, that's just a discussion. We're trying not to get over the top, and discuss it the proper way. Still, a lot of things are not mentioned (like, what about the HUD/Menu?).

Last edited:

SorayMustDie

Approach me and DIE!!
Feb 24, 2008

DAMN IT!!! WHAT THE *** DID I do!!!!

I can't even change their name and voice....*sob* because some voices are really into my nerve.

thanks for cDom , But I can't get into in it. perhabs the speed is too slow. I play both UT99 and UT2k4. the same map ( Dom-Cinder ) but when I am playing UT99. is like more Fast pace and UT2k4 is a bit...slow

I enjoy UT2k4 maybe because of ONS.

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
UT2004 wasn't a bad game at all imo. But you really needed quality human competition to get the most out of it. Botplay sucked ..... except Invasion maybe. Invasion gametype was nice online too, camping and hiding from hordes of angry monsters was somewhat relaxing.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
SorayMustDie, there's a Game Speed mutator for this. Try it :)

Gades, somewhy I don't see how AI is bad. I mean, I play with Masterful bots, but they really add some competition...

Invasion, yea, it's cool. Online it's very fun, especially when you're the last man standing - I was like that a few times and ran around hiding from all the monsters and shooting an occasional flak, knowing that everyone else on the server were watching me :)

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
Nothing wrong with the AI of the bots. It's just how they auto-dodge all your rockets, but won't even make an half-assed attempt to dodge your hitscan. Masterful bots CROUCH in the middle of a firefight! They don't miss with the flak, the bots simply home in on you with it. And btw, every single bot on the map shoots almost exclusively at human players. Fly around with a raptor and find the entire blue team shooting you down (even 1 mile away from their base behind blinding fog).

At least UT99's bots actually dodged. And didn't use aimbot hax (unless you configured them that way).

N!Ce

Jun 14, 2008
Agree with many of the posted here, some contributions were besides that pretty amusing. :lol:

I've been playing UnrealTournament since beta version, that was released 10years ago and still love it. It's basically the only game I still play frequently, other games only pass my hdd in a 'lets give it a try' period.

Movement and aesthetics of the game are still unbeaten, same goes to gameplay. I've played UT2k3/UT2k4 for about 5 months each and left them, just like many other games. Long term motivation just fails compared to UT. Besides that, I very dislike the jelly baby style of UT2kX and it's hardly better on UT3. :rolleyes:
The first UT is still the only one where a flip actually looks like a flip and a dodge looks like a dodge. Compared to that many newer games look like their motion capturing was done from defect robots rather than from human beings.

Most new fps games have a common problem. The develoopers spend 90% of time and work on gfx rather than on gameplay and style. Some seem (almost sure about that) to be sponsored by hardware corporations.

Dunno about the others, but I seriously don't care much about gfx. Eyecandy is good, but doesn't need to be too realistic. I want to have fun training my reflexes and tactics while playing with other gamers, that doesn't need detailed and realistic explosion, blood and w/e animations. I even turn gore effects off to make the game faster and cleaner.

Just my 2 UTcents :f

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Dunno about the others, but I seriously don't care much about gfx. Eyecandy is good, but doesn't need to be too realistic. I want to have fun training my reflexes and tactics while playing with other gamers, that doesn't need detailed and realistic explosion, blood and w/e animations. I even turn gore effects off to make the game faster and cleaner.

:DDDDDDDDD

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, the bots are kinda too cheaters :) If you see a Goliath with 2 people in, you won't be able to AVRiL it whatever you do (even if the Goliath is busy fighting someone else - the 2nd gunner will shoot one bullet and always hit). Bot crouching is kinda strange, but that's what they need to do in sniping positions (that's why they usually crouch when holding a Lightning Gun). Better like this than not crouching in sniping spots... Or not using the sniping spots at all as in UT1 :) Good thing that there are AI scripts in UT2003/4, you can tell them where they should camp around and what weapon they should use.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yesterday played a match in UT1, on Hyperblast, offline. Actually, with DoubleJumpUT and 55% air control the movement gets really similar to the UT2 movement. No DodgeJumping or WallDodging (have to get that BC's mod), but still. What I really liked there was bot config. I mean, in UT2004 fighting Malcolm is the same as fighting Widowmaker, despite the fact that Malcolm is the champion in multiple Tournaments. In that match, we played 3on3 and in our team we had me, Dante and Raquel (bots from U1 :) ), while the other team had Malcolm, Othello and Matrix. So that means we got absolutely pwned (Just get in the sight of Malcolm.. Ugh), but still I was the hero. The match ended in my teammates having less than 10 frags each, me having 13 and the other team's bots had: Malcolm ~12, Othello ~10 and Matrix ~8... So we lost the match but I was still shown :) Have to say that Shock Rifle's primary is really nice in there, though the combo is really bad (only a growing sphere, duh).

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
The Shock Combo in UT is the best, it feels really like a violent explosion. UT3 is also very nice with the whole "black hole" thing.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Is there an equivalent to that infamous Loque UT bot in UT2K3 or UT2K4 standard bots ?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
In summary:

UT boards: "OMG!!! UT2004 sux because it's not like UT!!!"

UT2004 boards: "OMG!!! UT3 sux because it's not like UT2004!!!"

UT3 boards: "OMG!!! UT3 sux!!!"

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
In summary:

UT boards: "OMG!!! UT2004 sux because it's not like UT!!!"

UT2004 boards: "OMG!!! UT3 sux because it's not like UT2004!!!"

UT3 boards: "OMG!!! UT3 sux!!!"

Oh come on Ren, don't do that. Generalizing is the worst thing you can do.

(Even if it's meant as a joke, you never know with these retards ;p...)