2K Games Lifts Bioshock 2 SecuROM Install Limit

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I was really looking forward to this game on 360. But thanks to MS and their goddamn update, my 360 RROD'd on me directly after an update. So now I'll be getting more games for PC instead of my Xbox360.

It really is a piece of crap :mad:

So now I'll be getting Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2 and AvP on PC (was going to get Bioshock 2 and ME2 on the 360)

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
It's not about the "invasivness", it's about the ability to install the game in five years time.
I am taking a stand (quixotic, I know :() but I have shelves of unplayed PC games that I've acquired over the last (eek!) 27 years and (bit rot permitting) I can install every last one of them (yup, even got a working PC XT for those really old games:)). I can't do that with most recent games.

Absolutly if 2K and ther ilk want to rent their games out they should do it at rental prices not purchase prices. Which in my book is what activation limits are. A back door form of rental.

I am also tilting at the same windmill and refuse to buy any game that contains such crap.

@Sir Brizz
You sure about the first Bioshock/Steam/DRM ? I seem to remember it being identical to the boxed version.(The console versions were DRM free I think)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Well, obviously this has PR implications. I thought I'd be stating the obvious there. There is a good chance, though, that they actually did back out of a planned setup instead of pretending to have the DRM in place at first.

They may have 'backed out of a planned setup', but why tell us about it ?
It's like hitting someone with a beer bottle and then telling them you could have used a baseball bat.
It still hurts ... and not hitting would still be the preferable option.

Oh well.
I might have liked Dragon Age.
I probably would have liked Mass Effect 2, given that ME 1 was great.
I might even have liked Bioshock and its sequel.
But with stuff like this I simply chose to pay for something that doesn't hurt my ability to play the games I buy in the future.

for the record ... that does include not buying the console-version as that has similar stupidity like DLC that won't ever be on-disc in order to prevent people from buying the full experience as a used product.

Seriously ... games as good as Mass Effect shouldn't need crap like this in order to sell well.

Beelzebud (Satanas)

Jul 15, 2003
Now for the really WTFAREYOUKIDDINGME news: No dedicated servers...

A game on the Unreal engine, with the multiplayer component being developed by Digital Extremes, and it has no dedicated servers...

PC game developers are shooting themselves in the foot. If you aren't going to do something right, don't do it at all. Bioshock was fine as a single player game. It really didn't need a neutered multiplayer component that doesn't even have dedicated servers...

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
OT

Bioshock. Yeah.

I won't be buying this one. Wasting bucks to get the first game was enough for me.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Umm, Digital Extremes didn't develop the first BioShock, they did only PS3 port. Is Bioshock 2 developed only by DE? If yes, it might be better after all.
EDIT: Ah so DE is doing only multiplayer then....

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Sir_Brizz; said:
100% positive.

I would check again. It came with securerom at least for the first few months and I suspect that it only got the same 'removal' that the box version got.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I don't understand people's issue with SecuROM. Sure, it's annoying to have the CD\DVD in the drive. But at least it doesn't make the game volatile. It's SecuROM PA (PA=Product Activation) that is ****, that's the version that requires online activation. SecuROM PA is at least as terrible as any other online activation scheme like Steam of Games for Windows Live. Oh sure, there were some versions of SecuROM that are annoying as hell (like preventing to start when you have Process Explorer active).

Anyway... the point I'm trying to make is that SecuROM PA, Steam, GfWL are all ruining PC gaming. Steam just looks nice because of the good deals they have sometimes.

edit: and while I'm ranting. When will publishers stop insulting customers buy giving them worse products than the pirates.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't understand people's issue with SecuROM. Sure, it's annoying to have the CD\DVD in the drive. But at least it doesn't make the game volatile. It's SecuROM PA (PA=Product Activation) that is ****, that's the version that requires online activation. SecuROM PA is at least as terrible as any other online activation scheme like Steam of Games for Windows Live. Oh sure, there were some versions of SecuROM that are annoying as hell (like preventing to start when you have Process Explorer active).

Anyway... the point I'm trying to make is that SecuROM PA, Steam, GfWL are all ruining PC gaming. Steam just looks nice because of the good deals they have sometimes.

edit: and while I'm ranting. When will publishers stop insulting customers buy giving them worse products than the pirates.
I don't care about SecuROM. I care about limited activations. I know Microsoft will reset your activations in GFWL with little to no complaint, just like they do with Windows. I don't have that faith in SecuROM, having had to deal with them.

Leak

Sep 1, 2008
Linz, Austria
I don't care about SecuROM. I care about limited activations. I know Microsoft will reset your activations in GFWL with little to no complaint, just like they do with Windows. I don't have that faith in SecuROM, having had to deal with them.
The first (and last) time I had to do this I had to contact the game's publisher, not SecuROM. And I'm also pretty sure that the license servers are operated by the publisher, not SecuROM itself...

np: Laura Veirs - Sleeper in the Valley (July Flame)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is a case of where there is circular blame. The publishers says it's SecuROM's fault so call them, SecuROM says it's the publisher's fault so call them.

At least with Microsoft the buck stops with them and everyone is familiar with their procedures by now.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder then as I see Steam as a bonus. Any responsible developer is going to have some form of verification on their software, be it CD key, disc check, or something more intrusive. I personally loathe having to dig around for discs and I've lost the CD key for a game on at least one location. All I have to do with Steam is make sure I'm online during the initial startup and I'm good to go. As internet access is not personally difficult to come by, it's my preferred method of activation.

Also, as a digital delivery platform, Steam has breathed life into the PC market. As more and more retailers have been reluctant to give up their highly profitable console space for PC games, Steam is a fantastic storefront. Look at at what Tripwire has done with it.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.