FS9 anyone?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Howdy,

Despite the chance I'm going to be labeled utterly nerd (not that I care actually) anyone of you into FS9? (i.e MS Flightsimulator: A Century of Flight) Or perhaps fs2k2?

I'm just about to start a 'around the world' type of thing with this latest version of the sim before returning to bush flying in Alaska that I did some year ago or so quite frequently.

So, I would like to share tips on good scenery etc files, suggestions where to fly to (pretty open minded at the moment, just going to start from EFTU (Turku, Finland) and heading..either north or south..

//Kee

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I recently got FS9, because the 'old' planes looked pretty interesting.
Too bad there's no 'historic' scenery to go with it, but I'm planning to fly a few of those historic flights once I know how to land without crashing. ;)

Whatever you do ... avoid the Netherlands in FS9, because at least from what I've seen it doesn't look anything like the real thing.
It really makes me wonder how 'realistic' the rest of the scenery in the USA and outside is ... :(

There's at least a bit of hope for the Netherlands as the Dutch (freeware!) scenery-project http://www.nl-2000.com is supposed to be compatible with FS9 in the future (and should work without any real problems in FS2k2). :)

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
A_Rimmerlister, there is historic scenery. You'll notice that if you set the date back a few decades, the berlin wall will still be up.

Ive been with Flight Simulator ever since the first version, when it was a benchmark for IBM machines. I'd have to say my favorite version is 2002pro, because FS9 doesnt run as well on my machine, and because meigs is dead. (damn you mayor Daley!)

Some fun places to fly around are Toronto/City Centre (not a personal bias or anything ;) ), and Las Vegas Intl. What I enjoy doing most is setting my plane up in a position where im approaching a runway, but the thunderstorms are fierce.

Another fun addon is the P-51D plane addon, combined with aerial racetracks (i forget their name and location) you can have some serious LAN fun. Also, dont forget to make sure that all your planes are set to have damage graphics, otherwise you're not truly living the experience.

Ice

Apr 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm happy with my FB, but if I can find a decent version of Flight Sim 2k3 I'll get it. or 2k4 when it comes out.

The only problem with those is: whats the point of flying around when all you do IS fly around? I'm here to shoot somebody, damn it. ;)

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Angry Ice, there is no FS2k3, and FS2k4 is already out. Didnt you know, microsoft releases their software years before they were supposed to beta test? :D

The point of flying around is for us wanna-be pilots, for people who really are pilots practicing rare situations, and people like you who download the nuclear bomb mod and go bombing Iraq.

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I think it's kind of nice to fly without getting shot at ...
or to actually land a plane instead of just ejecting somewhere near friendly territory ... ;)

// Derelan
So does that mean that if I set the date to 1901 Las Vegas will be a mere town in the middle of the desert ?
;)

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
:( I decided to remove NL2000, because it would crash FS9 as soon as I tried to start near EHAM (That's Schiphol for the non-pilots ;))
At first I thought it was FS9, but now I'm thinking it probably was because the patch didn't really work ...

btw : both Arnhem & Eindhoven have separate sceneries ...

I guess I'm going to try it again. :)

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
And do you have the links for those planes ?

I got Eindhoven 5.0 yesterday ... oh the fun of flying @ 5 fps.
/me thinks my R8500 isn't up to that bit, which is kind of weird as I got 30+ fps with the default scenery ...

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Very nice collection Crazy Ivan. I haven't started yet to install add-on planes..but I did start on my around the world trip :)
So far I have made 3 legs, but bad weather has been hampering my progress. Actually it is more zig zag around the world..

Wonder if there are any nice russian scenery available...might get my wife interested in the sim if there were..

//Kee

Crazy_Ivan

KAR whore
Jan 30, 2003
1,5meters below sea level
Visit site

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
Which ones would be the single engine 'old' planes ?

I don't like those big fat cargo/passenger jets (feels too much like operating a computer instead of flying).
The Piper Cub is more my kind of plane, so any links/names for similar stuff would be appreciated :)

// -- edit --
*phew* I finally found how that avsim-site works ...

http://library.avsim.net/index.php?CatID=fs2004ac&Sort=Name

There's a classic 'Tiger Moth' & 'Classic Piper Cub' :)
The latter also includes a sailboat that can be used ...

Last edited by a moderator:

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Do you guys use keyboard controls or do you have the crazy controls specific for flight sims? I never got into flight sims because I have no flight sim controllers. Trying the demos with the keyboard got retarded quick. I kept forgetting what key did what. SOme of those screenshots look cool. I may be interested, but I want to learn more before I go spending the money. Thanks.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
its beautiful with a Force Feedback Pro 1 and a custom-made 20-switch interface specifically designed for FS2002/4.

By the way, that 20-switch board, i made myself. The parts were bought from Active Surplus for about 2$ total, i just then plugged it into the serial port (basically) and programmed the keystrokes in Visual Basic.