map key

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
i know this has been suggested before, but i'll try it anyway.
the mapper adds a modified topview of his map to the mylevel package. he named the 256x256 texture inf_map (same name for every map).
map.jpg

now, if the player holds down his "map-key" the game reads the mylevel package and checks if there is a texture called inf_map. if it is found it will be displayed in the hud.
mapshot.jpg

this way even players at popular servers could use tactics far better. players could report where they are, you can say where you have seen an enemy, snipers can enshure at which team they are aiming by asking if somebody is at the targets possition,...).
for example:

a) posititon report
player1: report
player2: I2
player3: L5

b) reporting an enemy:
player: E A3

c) sniper identifying target:
player: ab at A4?

d) giving orders
player: player1 go to G3
player: player2 snipe A3

im pretty shure this should work technology wise, as the game allready reads the mylevel package without even starting the map (when displaying the screenshot in the menu). if it can't open an other texture (which i doubt) it could at least use the screenshot so mappers can add a map instead of it if they want to.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
make a bigger version (I'd suggest 640x480) and it would be useful.
At that size you're suggesting it's so small it is nearly useless ...

Then there are some (mostly indoor / multi height) where the simple topdown picture would have to be replaced by a 'blueprint' kind of thing ...

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
well, i think 256x256 is big enough as you'll still want to see the chat and a little bit of your surroundings. it could be scaled up for extreme high resolutions. and 256x256 is enough place for four different maps or blueprints. you don't have to see any detail

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
something i completely forgot: you can add a animated texture as screenshot to a map, so this schould theoretical work here too. you could make a blueprint of each floor which changes in a preset interval

Trevor_Clim

Is this virtuous?
Aug 6, 2001
Yew
great idea fist_mlrs!!

the map should be transparent, bigger and it should be removable.

then it would be perfect and would make INF a little bit more cool.

TheChronoTrigger

[UMC]FrozenFlame
Aug 10, 2001
California
homepage.mac.com
if you want to make it fit the context, it's a satelite photo :D

sounds good, might I add that tac ops even though gameplay wise is inferior does have a few nice things, like the briefing screen at the beginging of the map, where it shows pics of objectives and a little description, if they can do that I'm sure you can make the map thing. now the problem is that older maps wouldn't have this option because it's a part of the map, meaning it would have to be added in every map individually, however I still think it would be a nice feature and it's worth the trouble if it promotes tactics and teamplay

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
This idea is great. Period.
Would be excellent to have an item in the quick action menu that automatically reports your coordinates. You hit it and your character says
" I'm on A 4" ... And then somenone responds "cruiser hit"... Sorry :D
Seriously, definately a good idea

fist_mlrs

that other guy
Jan 4, 2001
Zittau, Germany
www.fistmlrs.com
i want to keep it as simple as possible. if you want to show the locations of other players you would have to restrict the mapper. he would have to create a exact scaled map, could only use one single texture... and it wouldn't be realy necessary either.

Trevor_Clim

Is this virtuous?
Aug 6, 2001
Yew
STW Max Sterlings idea is great! With speech binding, its the maximum of realism with a walki-talki as an item in the hand or something!