Zeroing your rifle? Ballistics question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Another interesting question: what is the angle that the rifle is fired at? The, uhh, zero angle, or difference in angle from the sights to the gun...? Thats the best I can put it.
Another useful peice of information would be the highest point of the bullet in its arc...

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
p334r t3h mad paint 5k1llz!
Basic diagram. It would help (to calculate the correct arc of the bullet) to know dimentions of the arc, hieghts, times, angles, anything.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
LOL @ Yurch:

Havn't you ever heard of the Quadratic equation?

[ -b +- square(b^2-4AC) ] / 2A

with height = h + v(t) + 1/2(9.8m/s^2)(t^2)

with h = starting hight of barrel
with v = starting speed in the x direction
with t = time in flight

you can find a v(t) that makes the height = 0 twice, once at 0 and once at some other value for t.

Then plug that into the equation for distance traveled:

distance x = (speed)(time)

With Distance X being how far you want to zero. Walla! instant perfect balistics.

/me acts like his physics professor.

You now know everything you need to solve the equation! :D

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
You forgot air resistance, which will turn your fancypants equation into some sort of differential... :p

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
hmm...air resistance... *fumbles around* ah, here it is. "Can be neglected for simple models"

I think this is simple enough. :)

Do I have to solve it instead of doing my physics homework? *sigh* after some sleep, maybe. :D

Iceman

Who Dares Wins
Oct 6, 1999
Australia
Visit site
Depends on the person using the rifle.
If it was me i'd sight the PSG in for around 450 yards, and the Robar for about 700 yards depends on the terain i was shooting in, for example in a forest well 200 yards is ample, but out in the dester where you can see for miles on end, well 750-1000 sounds alot better ;) .

Iceman.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
Hmmmm I vowed never to post on these boards again, but I can't see ignorance propergated.

As well as Drag on a bullet, you also have Magnus Lift from the spin of it and well as body lift due to the high speeds involved.

Drag is probably the BIGGEST factor effecting the Balistics of a bullet. It what makes a 7.62NATO round shoot about 4 miles as apposed to about 75 miles in Vacuum.

I could give you the formula's to work out the ballistics of any round but I don't have the symbols needed here and you'd need to know not only the Muzzle Velocity of the round but also its spin rate and most importantly its Drag Coefficient.

To impliment even a simplified ballistics system into INF you'd need to make 5 calculations for the bullet constantly.

I'm currently looking into a better ballistic model for INF but to date haven't really got anywhere with anything even approaching practicallity.

The quadratic approach produces a good simplified model of ballistics in vacuum though, and is probably a good starting point.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Thanks for posting Tiffy, that's what I was looking for. I only know what I've been told :).

Yeah, I was thinking taking looking at Othelos' RC-50 mutator and fudging around with it a bit to get it to have a bullet arc from the start. I did quote that out of my calculus based physics book...figured it didn't matter too much in making a simplified model, since the maps we play on don't seem to ever have air, wind, weather, etc. I might be able to figure out a good equation if I spend some time on it, and some time with my Math prof ;)

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
About lift trough spin, could you explain to me how a symetrical body somehow generates lift? as far as i know a symetrical body will notb generate lift no matter how hard you twist it along it's axis.

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
I'll be honest I don't really understand it enough myself to be able to give a correct or probably even understandable explaination.

It all has to do with the boundry layer of air around the object. The dimples on a golf ball infact increase the effect and a golf ball travels further due to this effect than a smooth ball of the same weight and size.

Its called the Magnus Effect if you want to look into it futher.

Sorry I can't really help much here :(