Blatantly stupid M$ idea great news for hackers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
-Penfold- said:
This thread was more about the BS patch plan, not a sarcastic response tacked onto the end.
That wasn't an overly sarcastic remark. MS owns every country's OS except for China. :p

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Like the article says, this is just for PR purposes. MS wants to be able to say "we only have to patch Windows 12 times a year" instead of "we only have to patch Windows 40 times a year".

MS are so hell-bent on one-upping Linux (and getting the contracts going Linux's way), they'll do anything to try and gain the upper hand, including manipulating security updates and potentially putting people's systems at risk.

The next time a major worm hits, what will MS say? "Wait till the end of the month"? A lot of companies will reply "No thanks" and investigate other operating systems.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Er.. am I the only one that doesnt actually see a problem here?

So they're lessening the amount of patches? Woopy****ing doo.

"The problem is that MS is usually the last to know about many flaws. If it is not considered ‘critical’, you might have to wait 30 days or so till the patch is deemed ready for consumption."

Er, and? So if it's a critical patch, we get it now, if not, it's tested to make doubly sure..

What's the issue here? Am I missing something?

dma

I have no life. I really don't.
Sep 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC, USA
www.coe.uncc.edu
About the monthly thing...

We actually had a Micro$oft *SECURITY* guy come on campus last Wednesday and gave a big presentation on this thing.

Apparently, the "really" critical stuff will still be immediate, but other junk will be bundled into monthly (cumulative, I think) updates. You probably won't have to wait a month for your "Blaster Worm version XXXX" patch.

Also, some guy walked up to the M$ guy before his presentation and said, "YOU SUCK!". The M$ guy said in his presentation, "we suck less."

Go figure.

BTW, they will release Windows XP SP2 next year sometime, and Windows Server 2003 SP1 not long after that. They are also working on reducing patch size for the people still on 56K connections. They are trying to use a unified installer for patches that will allow for rollback of all patches. In addition, they are going to roll Windows Update, Office Update, etc. into a "MS Update" thing (if I remember correctly).

EDIT: I am not a Microsoft fanboy. I'm just trying to give you information from that guy's powerpoint presentation.

Last edited:

ElectricSheep

Tommy Vegas
May 11, 2000
Newark, DE
I'm sorry, I just read DMA's post and immediately though of this:

20020722l.gif