TF2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
It might even be better than the samwich eating picnics that happened when the heavy update came out.

Haha, I loved torching heavies as they were eating. Any time I heard "Om Nom Nom" from around the corner went in full force!

If possible it should be fun to get BU group game tonight with the new update, I'll be free from midnight till I fall asleep :)

Last edited:

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
Haha, I loved torching heavies as they were eating. Any time I heard "Om Nom Nom" from around the corner went in full force!

If possible it should be fun to get BU group game tonight with the new update, I'll be free from midnight till I fall asleep :)

+1. I'd love to play some TF2 with you guys, and this is a great opportunity (unless the update is released at 4AM)

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
On the whole, the new update is pretty good... except for the change to unlocks. There are no milestones for Sniper or Spy, and weapons now "drop" randomly (the game just gives you a weapon at any given point). I've read posts saying everything from spectators are getting new weapons, to people are playing one class and getting a weapon from a different class, to people are getting multiples of weapons they already own.

Whether someone actually worked towards a weapon or decided to farm it, in the end they still had to get whatever number of achievements they needed to unlock that weapon. Now they'll have to wait, and wait, and wait until, eventually, the game gives them the weapon they want.

There's already a Steam group against the new system. I've joined, because I don't want to play World of Fortress.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Whether someone actually worked towards a weapon or decided to farm it, in the end they still had to get whatever number of achievements they needed to unlock that weapon. Now they'll have to wait, and wait, and wait until, eventually, the game gives them the weapon they want.

I don't see why a combination of both systems can't exist. Having to work for unlocks is part of the point of them being "unlocks". The achievement system works well for this purpose. At the same time, giving people a "freebie" is a nice gesture when they've been picking away at their achievements for a long time and can't hit the next milestone for some reason. Like have the drop system start once you've hit the first two milestones for a class.

If the drop rate was tied into the achievement system (ie, drop rate bonus for each achievement) that would be far better than the current system where it's just completely random. Getting rid of duplicates would be a good move too (unless we can trade them, although I have no idea how that would work unless certain items are rarer, and even then there would be a massive glut of them within days at the rate they're given out).

The biggest problem I'm seeing is that the new system isn't organic. It's more meta-gamey than the achievements system, and players have no control over it. Yes it's nicer for people who don't play often, but I have a hard time believing those people can't get the achievements if they know what they're doing doing even when they're playing for maybe an hour or two on the weekend.

Forgetful

Here is party?
Sep 21, 2003
Winnipeg, Canada
Visit site
What ever happened to team damage?

I can remember back in the ut99 days a lot of the good NA players played on TDM servers with team damage on full.

In my opinion its absolutely retarded to play TDM without team damage. It cuts spam like a hot knife through butter.

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004

I can remember back in the ut99 days a lot of the good NA players played on TDM servers with team damage on full.

In my opinion its absolutely retarded to play TDM without team damage. It cuts spam like a hot knife through butter.

It was originally there back in the beta. IIRC, it was slightly buggy and it wasn't really all that fun in TF2. I mean, stuff like the flamethrower is completely useless around teammates, and that basically meant you were penalized for hanging around your teammates.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I didn't know about this new drop system. Seems odd so far i have to say.
All i've done is log into a game and i got the Blutsauger upon spawning...

(edit - an hour later i have the bow and arrow and a second backburner, all that working for achievements was partially a waste it seems :S(Except i enjoyed it :))... most servers i've tried have had dozens of people logging in and out of the spectator slot or just hanging around in the starting areas, apparently being afk or a spectator is just as likely to net you free stuff.)

I'm guessing you play spy then. ;)

Last edited:

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Valve has posted an explanation of how the new drop system is supposed to work. Basically, it's based on how much you play TF2, which penalises people who don't or can't play as much.

Valve should just admit they got this one wrong, and go back to the system that worked.