Explosion in Texas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Looks to be human error rather than terrorist but a big nasty all the same.
Link

Any one here live near it?
All OK I hope.

About 20-30 miles away, but that's by road. In a straight line I think it's 14-20mi.

Gonna quote my comment from the Boston thread out of laziness.

[GU]elmur_fud;2588597 said:
I personally live on the opposite side of Waco from the town of west. The shock-wave supposedly went this far, rattling windows and making people piss themselves etc. I however slept right through it.

As to them being linked, that's quite dubious, the fertilizer plant had been on fire for several hours before it exploded. The workers there apparently trying to put it out themselves for a couple hours before officially calling the fire dept. and saying they needed help.

My wife's uncle lives about 6 miles from were the plant was. I called him this evening and he said he had his scanner on while working on his airplane engine during all of this and the banter indicated it would be a matter of negligence. That somebody may have been burning trash at the plant. There is a burn ban in place for the county. And they didn't want to admit at first that there fire had gotten out of hand till they had no choice. By which point everybody was screwed because the fire had gotten close to a chemical holding tank.

Edit:
zrHQ6y3.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpKx3aIjA

A friend of mine and fellow UT gamer lives with his dad who is a disabled Vietnam vet within a 1/2mi of were this was, he hasn't responded to txts so that has me a tad worried. :( He would have been asleep when it happened as he works nights... but all is chaos over there atm so...

Last edited:
My mom felt it in Cleburne (44.8miles away), and people in North Dallas (79.5 miles away) reported feeling it as well (keep in mind this is following the road, so knock a few miles off for corners and shit)

It was loud enough that my mom though it was thunder outside (she's not the smartest person though so take that for what you will I suppose)

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I live about were the red dot is (that you can't really see in screenshot mode).
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/8axQi36.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
A news graphic I recreated (because the original was 256x256)
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/FqZ9QH0.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
Directionality or focus of the blast.
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/tiBbIPt.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
The apartments just past the playground which is just opposite the train tracks.
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/nXBkQc2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

That directionality photo shows the train tracks by the plant which are bowed away from the blast and are fused together.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Eh, what are the odds a BUF'er lives in that tiny ass town and was somewhat in proximity of the blast that has made near world-wide news?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I feel for the firefighters and employees who had to respond to the initial fire and were killed. most of them were volunteer. very sad.
I don't feel anything for the people who were caught in the blast because they were simply gawking with their cell phone cameras.

"hey kids, a massive fertilizer plant is on fire! grab the dog and meet me in the car, we're gonna' drive over there and watch it burn! what could possibly go wrong? it's not like fertilizer is fireworks!"

America.
fuck yeah.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I feel for the firefighters and employees who had to respond to the initial fire and were killed. most of them were volunteer. very sad.
I don't feel anything for the people who were caught in the blast because they were simply gawking with their cell phone cameras.

"hey kids, a massive fertilizer plant is on fire! grab the dog and meet me in the car, we're gonna' drive over there and watch it burn! what could possibly go wrong? it's not like fertilizer is fireworks!"

America.
fuck yeah.

Seems like an unnecessary dig to me.
Aren't you the one who posted the images in the Boston thread?

Anyone who ends up in harms way can be sympathised with. It's not like you've never done anything stupid in your life now is it!

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Seems like an unnecessary dig to me.
I'm only referring to the people who were standing around with their cameras.

hello?
it's a raging fire... at a massive fertilizer plant.

the people in Boston had no choice.
that was a surprise attack.

the gawkers in Texas who chose to stand around and watch?
sorry. no sympathy from me.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Horray for poor no zoning laws and regulations!

Oh the zoning laws do exist but the fertilizer plant was there first (since the 20's I think was said on the news here). Which means whoever decided they should allow the town's residential and downtown populace to expand right up to it is kinda...tarded.

I'm only referring to the people who were standing around with their cameras.

hello?
it's a raging fire... at a massive fertilizer plant.

the people in Boston had no choice.
that was a surprise attack.

the gawkers in Texas who chose to stand around and watch?
sorry. no sympathy from me.

I kinda have to agree here, in an emergency you're either part of the solution or your part of the problem. Putting yourself in harm's way for a photo op just means somebody else is more likely to have to put there life on the line to rescue your dumb butt.

Though I would hardly call that plant 'massive'... still had it been at full capacity instead of 10-15% as I have heard estimates, the town would have been gone... so massive or not, gawking at it (or any industrial fire) isn't very bright.

I saw that friend of mine at work. He had ran over his cell phone earlier in the day while working on his car and both him and his dad were in Waco grocery shopping when it happened. Their house, which is the very farthest one towards the top right of the photo in that blast radius pic, had several windows blown out but that is it.