Unreal Texture UT site and S3TC releases

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Diehard

Hmm this is odd, i checked all Playshp packages, and they all do have Palette5 accounted for. So now i am wondering if your package maybe is corrupt, or that the savegame function simply is being picky here.

Can you open that same map by opening the map directly? If so than its a savegame problem and not a package problem. I know savegame is quite buggy, and i kinda hope now thats the problem.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I asume it does not happen with this package: UT_LowEnd_PlayrShp.zip

Actually it does, I am using the low end packages.

And It's even moe bad news beacsue it does happen to the map as well not only the save:
Log: Failed import: Palette Palette PlayrShp.Palette5 (file ../Textures/PlayrShp.utx)
Warning: Failed to load 'ISVD02': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette PlayrShp.Palette5'
Warning: Failed to load 'Level None.MyLevel': Can't find Palette in file 'Palette PlayrShp.Palette5'
Download this:
ISVDContest.zip
It's the second map doing that.

I know why is that now, it has myleved textures which use as a base those from playrshp, so it also uses that pallete, yet the second UT CD textures worked fine.

Last edited:

8bitForLife

Sep 15, 2011
hey i'm new to this re-texturing project i would like some info.

Which package should i download for the best textures there's so many.

Also where's a good place to get old models normal, adult, what ever!

Have not played this game in 10 years and heard there was a dx10 renderer.

I got that but anything else i should get map packages and such.

Sorry if im posting in the wrong spot

Diehard

Leo, i am postponing the PlayerShp investigation to a later schedule after this release.

hey i'm new to this re-texturing project i would like some info.

Which package should i download for the best textures there's so many.

On this page: Textures

You can read which textures fit your system. Its your computer that kinda makes the decision what to use, which is the Low End, High End or Extreme End packages. The faster your sytem the larger your videocard the more you are able to run. Today i found the page mentions Unreal, but this should be UT or Unreal Tournament, will also be fixed in the next update.

But since you didnt download yet, i would wait a week or so and follow this thread, because theres a rather large update comming up, and little point to go download most if it in a matter of oné week.

Once you choose which textures fit your computet than download the Masterfiles. Those packages contain all the textures you need in 5 downloads. But as said, better wait another week(ah well thats up to you)

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
www.planetmonsterhunt.com
For various reasons, the files must be on Unreal and UT texture first. All other mirrors i mostly add as last, except the main Extreme End mirror. So no, i havnt uploaded anything yet to UT-Files.com.

Aside that, even when it all works, than it will take days to upload. All together is more than 15+ gigabyte of data that needs to be replaced. So uploading simply consumes time.

Yeah I know it takes a while. I can do a server to server transfer, but note that it will hit your server hard when I run the process. I only need the "directory" access to all the files on your web server (basically need to be able to view the contents of the directories the files are stored in) then I can simply use wget to grab all the files onto my server and I'll just move them over.

Alternatively, I do believe my server supports FXP, so if your server does as well, then you can just use it to transfer from FTP to FTP directly.

The best way to do this however would be to use rsync, but you'll need shell access to your hosting in order for it to work.

Diehard

Well i am a bit carefull with stuff like that, because i cannot predict how it will stress the shared CPU where my site is located. Aside that, it will add to the used bandwidth, which would also be a concern. And if i simply upload through FTP than it wont affect CPU or bandwidth at all.

And a to explain a bit about uploading to other sites, in this case yours, i dont have actual control over the files. And i know from the past, i make tons of errors on release :rolleyes:. And than its like, shoot, i forgot this, i forgot that, which means removing files and reupload them....

But if all goes well, than the release might be on monday, i already started uploading files yesterday. So the releases are at hand.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
Well I can set you up with a sub domain of ut-files.com such as textures.ut-files.com where you can mirror all your files and have full access to everything. I just do not like giving out FTP to the main site(s) as I've been burned before in the past for trusting people. It's still relatively new, so I'm still a bit skeptical on trusting myself to trust someone.

Diehard

Well I can set you up with a sub domain of ut-files.com such as textures.ut-files.com where you can mirror all your files and have full access to everything.

Yeah you told me so, and it sucks if people pull stuff like that on other people.......

But a seperate texture department may simply confuse people. Right now they look to the UT site and search for UT textures, and the Unreal people go to the Unreal section for files. And if now that is also or split up from the departments i dont think that would help your site.

So i guess best thing is to stick with the current solution. Only inbetween option i see is, that you setup two accounts so i can ONLY enter the texture area from UT and with the other account i can ONLY enter the texture area from Unreal. And on neither account i can go higher than within the texture folders.

For that you need to setup two accounts of course.

In the meantime i have uploaded some 22 gigabyte of data and still have to do another 16.5 gigabyte. Which than would bring the total release to friggen 38 gigabyte.

Its a bit more timeconsuming than i expected, because i didnt realise i cant upload the files for Unreal and UT to oné site anymore. UnrealTexture and UTtexture are seperate sites nowadays :rolleyes: And i cant contact both sites at the same time.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
So when the new release hits then I should go to uttexture.com for Unreal Tournament goodies, right?

Diehard

So when the new release hits then I should go to uttexture.com for Unreal Tournament goodies, right?

Yes, but i will post all individual links to direct downloads here(Low End, High End, Extreme End). So you can directly get any file you want right here. Aside that i am not sure if i will be able to change all pages in time, since it concernes some 200 pages x 2 for Unreal and UT. So i might be "dangerous" to use the webpages :)

Aside all that, the mainpages from both sites are interlinked. So if you choose on either site UT, than you will go to [COLOR="Red"]www.uttexture.com[/COLOR]. And the same aplies(vice versa) to Unreal. So effectivelly it doesnt matter what site you go, you will always end up in the game of your choice. You pretty much can only see whats happening if you look at the adresses in the adress bar.

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
Yeah you told me so, and it sucks if people pull stuff like that on other people.......

But a seperate texture department may simply confuse people. Right now they look to the UT site and search for UT textures, and the Unreal people go to the Unreal section for files. And if now that is also or split up from the departments i dont think that would help your site.

So i guess best thing is to stick with the current solution. Only inbetween option i see is, that you setup two accounts so i can ONLY enter the texture area from UT and with the other account i can ONLY enter the texture area from Unreal. And on neither account i can go higher than within the texture folders.

For that you need to setup two accounts of course.

In the meantime i have uploaded some 22 gigabyte of data and still have to do another 16.5 gigabyte. Which than would bring the total release to friggen 38 gigabyte.

Its a bit more timeconsuming than i expected, because i didnt realise i cant upload the files for Unreal and UT to oné site anymore. UnrealTexture and UTtexture are seperate sites nowadays :rolleyes: And i cant contact both sites at the same time.

Well what I had in mind was more or less just making it a file host with no kind of visuals or anything. Just a place for you to mirror the files, I intended to mirror the same files on the regular ut-files site(s) only I'd do it with symbolic links on the server so I wont be hosting the same file twice. So essentially, it will be what you mentioned. Setting up an account just for the "textures" keeping it away from everything else.

Diehard

Its ok with me, though i am not really sure i understand it. The way i pick it upi, i upload the files to the designated area, and its projected into the actual UT-Files site instead of actually being there?

So if you click on the projected link than underneath it grabs the actual file from the designated area unnoticed to the user on your site. That correct?

And do you want to set this up now for this release fast, or do you want me to upload to the public FTP for now? And if its for now the public FTP, do you want me to create a Texure folder within the current Unreal_Files and UnrealTournament_Files folder?

Last edited:

Skillz

ut-files.com
Nov 29, 2003
Its ok with me, though i am not really sure i understand it. The way i pick it upi, i upload the files to the designated area, and its projected into the actual UT-Files site instead of actually being there?

So if you click on the projected link than underneath it grabs the actual file from the designated area unnoticed to the user on your site. That correct?

Basically yes. Users will think the file is coming from the ut-files.com site. Even the URL will appear to come from ut-files.com instead of subdomain.ut-files.com except for your users will see the link as subdomain.ut-files.com.

Its ok with me, though i am not really sure i And do you want to set this up now for this release fast, or do you want me to upload to the public FTP for now? And if its for now the public FTP, do you want me to create a Texure folder within the current Unreal_Files and UnrealTournament_Files folder?

I will go ahead and setup the account now so you can use it to start uploading. Expect a PM in a minute.

Last edited:

Diehard

UT S3TC update September 25th 2011

Ok, here we go for Unreal Tournament.

About these updates.

There are a fair amount of new textures available but the main real update as far as textures have been made by Ahaigh on the GenFX package and a few on Crypt and NaliCast. Than the bulk of the updates concern textures that have been turned Extreme End. And to do so, i also had to re-process all High and Low End version to make sure they match eachother. The other part of the update concern alot of fixes for both Unreal and UT. Mainly in UT some bugs apeared in the last year that badly needed a fix.

Dates

All utx packages in this update, and if needed fixes in the next weeks(i hope not) will have as date September 25th 2011. If you find a wrong date than please post that, because it means that i accidentelly uploaded an old file.

Crypt package, First comes first get :)

The Crypt package with a huge update :p

And it huge because theres only 2 textures in that package, with this update the package is 100% done ;) All updates made by Ahaigh

Remark: First release of the Extreme End version.

UT_LowEnd_Crypt.zip
UT_HighEnd_Crypt.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_Crypt.zip

GenFX package

Large update concerning the amount of updatable textures, this package too is completed. All updates made by Ahaigh

UT_LowEnd_GenFX.zip
UT_HighEnd_GenFX.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_GenFX.zip

NaliCast package

The bookcases have been updated by ahaigh and i shipped in a few walls.

UT_LowEnd_NaliCast.zip
UT_HighEnd_NaliCast.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_NaliCast.zip

DecayedS package

While working on the update i noticed a big difference between Extreme, High and Low End. I found 20+ textures that were simply bloated up original textures. The Extreme End version dropped from 951 Mb to 936Mb. On a second attempt i still found differences which resulted in re-processing the entire package. Several textures were added and the package reached a new milestone and surpassed the 1 Gigabyte threshold and is now 1086 Megabyte.

Remark 20+ stupid fixes and a whole bunch of updates.

UT_LowEnd_DecayedS.zip
UT_HighEnd_DecayedS.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_DecayedS.zip

GenEarth package

The package received updates on the grass textures so it could be turned Extreme End. Still i am not satisfied about the grass, and likelly in the future there will be another update. Needs to be said, in Extreme end it looks awsome, the quality on the grass itself is unmatched. It also contains pretty much zero repeat. This is the reason i developed the Extreme End versions in the first place. I wanted to ship in the rockfaces but decided to not do that, i need to have second look at those.

UT_LowEnd_GenEarth.zip
UT_HighEnd_GenEarth.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_GenEarth.zip

GenTerra package

GenTerra contains all other variations on the grass, which ment that this package had to be redone completelly. It took my secondary computer system over 24 hours to make all calculations for the dds files. Extreme End is now 579 Mb.

UT_LowEnd_GenTerra.zip
UT_HighEnd_GenTerra.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_GenTerra.zip

NaliFX package

NaliFX also contains a few grass textures that needed to be updated.

UT_LowEnd_NaliFX.zip
UT_HighEnd_NaliFX.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_NaliFX.zip

ShaneChurch package

ShaneChurch contains a fix for the missing Palette2. For whatever reason Palette2 is being ditched while making the package conform the reduced nettextures. I tried several things, but was left with one solution untill i better ucc tool is build. The solution is to remove the SMoon2 S3TC texture that makes use of Palette2. There are two the same moons in this package, one that has the normal moon color and the purple version of that one. Its the purple version that has been removed, and presumably the less used one. Still a pitty..........

Remark: Critical fix on the package to fix a missing Palette2

UT_LowEnd_ShaneChurch.zip
UT_HighEnd_ShaneChurch.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_ShaneChurch.zip

ShaneSky package

This release contains a fix for the annoying black squares that people sometimes encountered. Like the skyboxes i forced the planetsmoons to be masked at all time by adding an Alpha channel to the textures. Theoretically if the texture is being used as last texture in a skybox it could punch a hole to the universe and create a monster of a HOM. But i never heard this happen with the skybox textures, while they really pose a risk on that. Since it was succesfull on those textures, than its unlikelly this will happen on these. I doubt a mapper ever will add them as last texture in a skybox. The package also have the offset atmospheres fixed which were reported not that long ago.

Remark: Critical fix on the package that contains a masking and atmospheric fix on all moons/planets, as well as a fix for the Black Square behind planet/moon bug.

UT_LowEnd_ShaneSky.zip
UT_HighEnd_ShaneSky.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_ShaneSky.zip

SkyBox package

Pretty much the same as ShaneSky, the moonplanet is forced masked and has the atmosphere fixed. Secondary, the high resolution clouds have been ditched. In both Unreal and UT it triggered the so called Non-Tiling clouds. Unclear is why it happens, but effectivelly something went wrong on the Drawscale function. For now it means the cloud textures had to be ditched, which is a pitty of course........

Remark: Critical fix on the package that contains two different fixes on the moonplanet, as well as a fix for the Non-Tiling clouds bug.

UT_LowEnd_SkyBox.zip
UT_HighEnd_SkyBox.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_SkyBox.zip

SkyCity package

SkyCity also contains a few grass textures that needed to be updated, in this case the grass with the cobblestones on them, to be seen in SkyTown.

UT_LowEnd_SkyCity.zip
UT_HighEnd_SkyCity.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_SkyCity.zip

SpaceFX package

SpaceFX again pretty much the same as ShaneSky, the Earth texture is forced masked.

Remark: Critical fix on the package that contains a masking and atmospheric fix on the Earth texture, as well as a fix for the Black Square behind planet/moon bug.

UT_LowEnd_SpaceFX.zip
UT_HighEnd_SpaceFX.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_SpaceFX.zip

XbpFX package:

XbpFX Extreme End version wasnt processed properly during the skating player fix mega update, people still were skating on occasion with this package.... I re-processed all of them to be sure. Stupidly enough, this was the package that triggered the solution for the fix to begin with LMAO.

Remark: Critical fix on the package that contains a fix for the skating player glitch.

UT_LowEnd_XbpFX.zip
UT_HighEnd_XbpFX.zip
UT_ExtremeEnd_XbpFX.zip

Hourences packages:

Hourences may not be that known in the Unreal community, but he is in the UT community. In the past he released several texture packages for Unreal, UT, UT2003 and UT2004. Using the textures provided by Hourences i was able to produce the High and Low End S3TC versions. The Extreme End versions could not be made since the textures he has simply did not go further than High End. At that time of release its pretty obvious he didnt make them larger, as there was no need for that backthan. Initially there were 4 packages that were turned S3TC, however oné package dropped of due to the skating player glitch. Thanks to Protos who made the testmap available on his server for online testing :) The packages have been limited tested on a server to exclude the skating player glitch. But there is still that second unknown factor build in some maps that can trigger the glitch. If it happens please report that. For that reason, use is entirely at your own risk !!!

The download contain 3 packages:
- HourIndusX_UT
- HourNature_UT
- HourPitores_UT

Remark: All credits go to Hourences, i only assembled the S3TC packages, and made a few textures forced masked.

UT_LowEnd_Hourences.zip
UT_HighEnd_Hourences.zip

2nd CD UT S3TC textures fix

There are still player that prefer these packages above the UTRP textures. I am not ganna say anything about that since its my believe everybody simply has the right to make that personal decision. Sometimes i like to play with the original textures as well. The problem is, that those package still contain the skating player glitch......

To help out the players that prefer these package, i processed all packages and made them conform the reduced net textures. Theoretically the bug should be gone, but it has not been tested at all. If you use these textures, and you encounter problems than please post those here. Of course if you play with them, dont report misaligned textures, masking problems etc, as they simply are part of these packages :) So only report online problems like the skating player glitch.

UT_Epic_S3TC_Skating_Player_Fix_Texture_Package_01.zip
UT_Epic_S3TC_Skating_Player_Fix_Texture_Package_02.zip

Vanilla packages

A whole new serie of packages will be released called Vanilla UT and Vanilla Unreal. These packages have a few alterations to the normal S3TC packages. You cannot read the text on the holoscreens anymore, so they will remain neutral and wont interfere with another storyline(like Red Nemesis). The planet and moons will look more like the originals, which means they loose the noticable atmosphere and will look alot closer to the original. Some players didnt like them, and those packages offer a solution to that. The vanilla packages only concern the packages that have that kind of stuff in them, so its a limited amount of packages. Of course all packages will have Low End, High End and Extreme End versions.

I planned to have at least one of those packages include, but no go. As soon as one is available, ill post those here as well.

Have fun downloading, and let me know if theres a problem :)

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
No updates for playrshp yet? There are these "Danger" crates, that are not S3TC, are used in the psx vortex rikers maps. Those would be easy to update since they use base as two other crates as well. And the PSX maps use these extensively. I might show you some pics too, or after I am done with the maps completely to upload the final version and show it to you.

It's a huge update still and I am downloading the textures and will try them out.

EDIT: SO Crypt is done, why not Crypt2? It includes some duplicate textures except detailtexture is on these as addition.
Originally Crypt2 in Ut was supposed to be Crypt in Unreal except they didn!t use the cryptic maps so they cut the package down that way..

Crypt was done by Mike Leatham btw. Found it out from asking Pacho Eekels while back.

I wanted to ask Mike Leatham for the original crypt2 textures, the ones that were used in Unreal PSX under crypt2psx, those more egyptian like themed variants. No response from him, but if you want to contact him diehard you can try.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
OldMaps2.zip

Run prisonmapalpha3, same pallete error. Again myleveled texture using sourcetexture of dirt2f this time. Wavy texture, but using same pallete as original texture but with S3TC this doesn't work obviously. Maybe it would help if you included the low res ones with it as it was in second CD.

I am sure more and more maps will pop up, basically all maps using this tutorial too:http://www.unrealsp.org/community/leveldesign/tutorials/icetextures.html

Last edited:

Diehard

No updates for playrshp yet? There are these "Danger" crates, that are not S3TC, are used in the psx vortex rikers maps. Those would be easy to update since they use base as two other crates as well.

Yep, those can be made S3TC easelly. I simply must have overlooked those, because i never made them S3TC. So basically its an "error" on my part. Ill include it for an update, but ill do that with a larger overhaul on the package that will include Extreme End as well. Otherwise people are gonna re-download for only 2 textures.

EDIT: SO Crypt is done, why not Crypt2? It includes some duplicate textures except detailtexture is on these as addition.
Originally Crypt2 in Ut was supposed to be Crypt in Unreal except they didn!t use the cryptic maps so they cut the package down that way..

Accidentelly the same question has been posted on Old Unreal for RTNP: The Ultimate Edition

I had a look at that package and i discovered something i didnt noticed before, and that is that lots of base textures actually are taken from the DecayedS package. So its worth to have a look at that. All together the package is borowing stuff from several other packages: DecayedS, castle1, Mine, NaliCast.

For all goes however, that lots of packages can be remade easelly, its just my illness and thereby lack of time and a too long todo list already. But maybe in this case a fast update on the package might be doable.

I wanted to ask Mike Leatham for the original crypt2 textures, the ones that were used in Unreal PSX under crypt2psx, those more egyptian like themed variants. No response from him, but if you want to contact him diehard you can try.

In the past i often wanted to contact texture artists to get the files(never had the time to try though). But last years i came back on that, because no matter what they have, its mega unlikelly they have High End, let alone Extreme End versions. So at the end, i still have to redo them from scratch...

OldMaps2.zip

Run prisonmapalpha3, same pallete error. Again myleveled texture using sourcetexture of dirt2f this time. Wavy texture, but using same pallete as original texture but with S3TC this doesn't work obviously. Maybe it would help if you included the low res ones with it as it was in second CD.

I am sure more and more maps will pop up, basically all maps using this tutorial too:http://www.unrealsp.org/community/leveldesign/tutorials/icetextures.html

Seeing my todo list ill have to get back on that a later schedule. But already i am starting to think its a much larger and widelly spread problem. If these too are due to MyLevel textures, than it seems MyLevel doesnt react too well on the S3TC versions. And now you also point to another package. Aside that, accidentelly again i saw that tutorial a couple a days as well. But just there i realised an additional problem regarding the what the tutorial does.

If a procedural texture uses another texture as base texture, and that texture is an S3TC texture everything goes bad. You cannot use an S3TC texture as base for procedural textures because they either turn completelly black, blue or red or the scalling gets corupted and they it might even look distorted.

With the stock textures for Unreal and UT this already ment that a few textures never can be updated like the procedural crate texture with that wet spot(Nyleve), or the blood stained floors in Vortex Rikers. Especially the crate texture is a big shame, and its un unsolvable problem(which was explained by Smirftsch and Creavion). The sad that is, the problem is limited to basically like 10-15 textures.

This tutorial however describes how make more procedural (using stock textures) and actually in the S3TC perspective this is a very, very bad idea and simply should never be done. If so, than the used base texture should ALWAYS be put in a new utx package including the procedural version. or also included in the MyLevel. Because its simple, the more MyLevel procedural textures there are made the more the problem grows, and the more textures that are being turned S3TC, than too the problem grows.

And i cannot go start taking out textures that have been used in MyLevel textures. Thats an endless story.........

At best i would advise re-doing those maps and take out the MyLevel part and throw the base and its procedural counterpart in a utx file, or add the base texture to the MyLevel. And that is a better option than going to strip the S3TC packages.

In that respect, i didnt read the actual tutorail, but it would be a smart idea to addapt the tutorial to prevent further mishaps. All together i always though MyLevel is bad, due to the impossibility for S3TC updates. And this now adds to that even more..........

I am sure more and more maps will pop up

And that!...........Is very, very likely.............

P.S. The fact its missing certian palettes and/or textures is not due to the fact they are missing, its simply an error it gives because it doesnt understand how to handle them, as said above, normally the engine cannot even handle S3TC procedural AT ALL. Its technically impossible and can never ever be solved. And Creavion might shed a light here on that subject as he knows more about it, and i am sure he will agree with me on this.....unfortunatelly.........

Last edited:

Diehard

Little point for anyone that already has the textures. But i re-did the Extreme End download pages. The pages now require lots of less clicking and you can download all packages from the same page at this link:

UT Extreme End

I also made it more easelly for people that download the textures for the first time. On top of that page you can download the missing High End textures in 2 packages so you dont have to download all High End MasterFiles and than overwrite them with Extreme End.

Now you simply can download the missing High End files and than complete them with the Extreme End files directly below that. No double downloading anymore :) Or complex explanations :) And it saves about 40-60 clicks :)