Deus Ex sucks!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Look, I don't really want to be in agreement with Leo, but yeah, Deus Ex is dumb. It was important and it was innovative, but nothing about it (other than the fact that it has everything all tossed together and that there are playthrough options) is actually good. The combat is terrible, the stealth is terrible, the AI is terrible, the writing is terrible, the acting is terrible.

Of course, I've said this before.

~Jason

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I really think it's wrong to say those things are terrible as opposed to mediocre, though.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Oh wow look at all the tags. It's almost as many as in the youtube thread.

Anyway this below is a serious post:

Anyway...yeah I wanted to be radical with this, and the reason behind it is because it pisses me off how people deliberately troll Daikatana, yet there is nobody doing that for Deus Ex and they always say how incredible it is that Ion Storm did Daikatana and how much it sucked and then it did the best game ever called Deus Ex. Both Daikatana and Deus Ex were kinda outdated, even though both had own enhancemenets to the respective engines.
But Deus Ex level design seems to be really not there, I mean mostly it just recreates real locations, but there is no real attention for detail and the textures tend to be low res, it's all very dull, Daikatana at least had non cube looking complexes, ancient temples, castles and diverse stuff (the only real dull part of the game is in episode 4 imo). It's like if they were trying to do it for N64 too.
Well it seems it was released for PS2, but that's it. Maybe that's the reason for the textures and stuff, maybe it was planned to be released for multiple consoles, who knows. But the game really fails to immerse me at all. I'll give it another chance and try to finish playing it, but I know it is gonna be torture for me. I even had more fun with the counter strike condition zero deleted scenes and I thought that was bad.

I really think Wheel of Time is a good example of good game on Unreal engine, it was revolutionary, I mean it pushed level design limits further and it introduced particles and stuff, all before UT even came out and the weapons are fun to play with and items. But Deus Ex really pales in comparison to that.

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
DeusX is very precious game to a lot of people, often mentioned alongside games like Half Life that seem to have a mystic & legendary quality about them, so you have to be a little more diplomatic in your comments for such a revered title.
I played Deus X back in the day, got about half way through it and gave up with it - just got bored of it basically but I tend to do that with a lot of games tbh.
Still, even though it wasn't for me, I give it credit for what it was trying to achieve for the genre and it's place in history as one of the greats for many people.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
See, the game doesn't suck! It just isn't made for people with ADHD and an attention span of a fly in a public toilet.

That's the issue. Tell those youngsters to play System Shock II and the first thing they'll notice is: "Well, the graphics suck!" :rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
But Deus Ex level design seems to be really not there, I mean mostly it just recreates real locations, but there is no real attention for detail and the textures tend to be low res, it's all very dull, Daikatana at least had non cube looking complexes, ancient temples, castles and diverse stuff (the only real dull part of the game is in episode 4 imo). It's like if they were trying to do it for N64 too.
It's funny you say that, because Daikatana was released on the N64

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
they always say how incredible it is that Ion Storm did Daikatana and how much it sucked and then it did the best game ever called Deus Ex.
Nobody says that because Romero's Ion Storm and Spector's Ion Storm were two different companies.
I really think Wheel of Time is a good example of good game on Unreal engine, it was revolutionary, I mean it pushed level design limits further and it introduced particles and stuff, all before UT even came out and the weapons are fun to play with and items. But Deus Ex really pales in comparison to that.
I don't really agree. Wheel of Time is an awesome game, for sure. But Deus Ex did far more in much better ways than WoT did.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Nobody says that because Romero's Ion Storm and Spector's Ion Storm were two different companies.

Nah, they were the same company. There was just Romero's wing, Tom Hall's wing and Spector's wing. I know for a fact that a handful of people worked on all of these games together, so those weren't all different teams at all. The main designers were different, but a lot of people were shared, who made textures and models for example and also it shared the same voice actors too.
Their first game was Dominion, then came Daikatana (which turned to be sadly the game that didn't sell), Anachronox and Deus Ex.

But don't say nobody says that, I have read and heard some of those somethingawful posts and videos regarding Daikatana. They often mentioned this with Deus Ex. But then again what can I expect from them.

As for Daikatana being on N64 (responding to someone else mentioning that), I know that, I played all the way through that port and it was rather terrible, it seems it inherited the slow gameplay from Deus Ex too, but the port was done by Kemco (one of the worst game making companies ever btw, known for some really infamous titles) and they really ****ed up some of the levels or made exclusive ones which replaced the standard ones. They tended to suck, except for one level IIRC.
The controls were decent and menu was simple, but that's as far as the praise goes in Kemco's port. It used like one music for entire episode etc too, so it became very repetitive.

There was also Game Boy Color port by Kemco too, I didn't play that one but seen videos of it, for some reason it is being praised as the best Daikatana port but I disagree very much, because they managed to **** up the dialogues and story even more and imo it just sucks, if not more than the N64 port. But people are shallow idiots anyway, they can't tell a real quality even if it bit them in the face.

Ans as for System Shock 2, I never played it either, but graphics are not my major complain, it's like if you were comparing me to those graphic whores. But everything makes the game in the end, including graphics, but I don't judge it based on the graphics, gameplay is more important to me and I found Deus Ex boring, end of story.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Is thread is still going on? Goddamn someone just lock it already.

funny-gifs-kill-it-with-fire.gif

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Aww why you gotta do it to a little innocent unicorn? :(

Gotta replace it with something that actually requires killing with fire... Like this thread.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Thought it was kind of harsh too. Here you can imagine what's on the receiving end of this one.

1191312654304dv5.gif