CryEngine 3 SDK coming

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
The full sdk / c++ / bells whistles / coming this year. So will we finally see someone mod a new Inf?
By now the children of all you old Sentry guys should be able to do some basic modding.

http://crymod.com/

Crytek CEO Cevat Yerli said:
We want to see what you guys can do with CryENGINE 3 and we hope we'll be as amazed with the things you create as we have been over the past few years. This time around, we're going to do things in a different way - offering you the right tools to achieve your vision.

First of all, we will be launching an Editor for Crysis 2 early in summer. This will allow you to build new maps, items and more custom content for Crysis 2. For teams looking for even more creative freedom, we have another option: The free CRYENGINE SDK.
Be Free

In August 2011 we will be launching a free CryENGINE SDK. If you want to use it for fun, like all our previous MOD SDKs it will be completely free of charge, to anyone who wants to play with it! You just register, download the SDK with a personalized license key and you're good to go!
Be Creative

We'll be giving you access to the latest, greatest version of CryENGINE 3 - the same engine we use internally, the same engine we give to our licensees, the same engine that powers Crysis 2.

This will be a complete version of our engine, including C++ code access, our content exporters (including our LiveCreate real-time pipeline), shader code, game sample code from Crysis 2, script samples, new improved Flowgraph and a whole host of great asset examples, which will allow teams to build complete games from scratch for PC.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Yeah, its coming, but I'm severely dissapointed in C2. It sucks. The water sucks. The lighting sucks. The textures suck. The physics suck. Its a total XBox console port. Maybe someone can do something with it, but my money is still on Crysis 1 and Wars.

And from what little Crytek has given us with C2 ( they locked out almost every CVAR there was! ), I'm not expecting much from them.

For INF, mod wise, I'm still looking at Arma 2 and maybe the new release of the UE3.

Arma 2 with ACE 2 has a lot going for it, it just needs a lot of tweaking in the movement. Draw distance is also a problem in my opinion, unless you have a MONSTER computer. Maybe BF3 will give us something between Arma and Crysis Wars. We'll have to see.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Funny is, that Crysis 2 runs better on my machine than Crysis 1, because as Logan said, it's technically limited by console.

Imo Crysis 1 is all we need, it looks just how a dream tac-sim should look and must run good at most modern mid-range machines (like mine, really nothing special). Crysis 1 was at least some sort of a tactical shooter, Crysis 2 is just a console roller coaster shooter.

But guys... it's not goin to happen. Remember when SS was ready but waited for a fitting engine? Now we have a fitting engine (also UDK is an option now) but no SS. As always, if you have one thing, you miss another.

Lol logan, BF3. The BF games may be better than CoD and clones, but they belong to the "CoDish" branch of tac-shooters, not comparable to ArmA and Co.

I'm still undecided about ArmA2. Installed operation arrowhead demo a second time already, to get sure(er).

Meh it all sucks.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
I don't mind much which Crysis should be a better candidate. Both have merit afaik. Seeing that CryEngine 3 comes with all c++ sdk stuff i figure that would be the better choice. Crysis1 has a limited sdk right? The only mods i see for Crysis1 are typical texture/tweak/realistic meaning better plants stuff..

I just don't understand why noone is coding an inf-like mod, on either engine, or UDK. Are there so few coders around that like this sort of gameplay? Probably just a few coders willing to take on the job anyway. If any.

Ironically i uninstalled operation arrowhead to make space for crysis2.

When i reinstall arma operation arrowhead i'm going to put those new animations in. The coder made heaps of changes and even ironed out some clunkyness when walking with raised weapon.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=115889

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I just don't understand why noone is coding an inf-like mod, on either engine, or UDK. Are there so few coders around that like this sort of gameplay?
Noone did in the past 10 years either. INF is one of it's kind, and it even didn't start like that, but evolved into it. Something that comes closer is Project Reality and it has plenty of coders, but somehow it is still not that kind of thing like INF to me. Another thing is ArmA2 with the communities improvements, but noone of them did what would be most essential to me, a complete overhaul of the shooting and movement concept.

Meh, ArmA2 and PR come so close, but not enough and INF leaks what makes Arma2 and PR interesting (missions/realistic co-op). Dammit!

Ground Branch isn't going nowhere at the moment and Beppo and other SS members won't be coming back for another unrewarding, free time eating, year long mod development.
Face it zeep, if you want it to happen, make it yourself. Since I can't make it myself, I just accept the fact that it remains a dream.

Last edited:

Matiwas

Jun 2, 2009
Face it zeep, if you want it to happen, make it yourself. Since I can't make it myself, I just accept the fact that it remains a dream.

Infiltration community (or whats left from it) is very capable of making a "new inf" whether its a new mod or a complete game. So many people have learnt coding/programmin/modelling/ect. (or work/study atm.). And new people are allways willing to help.
You have the skills!
You can make it happen if you really want to...
Imo it would be better to get involved in GB development in a way or another ...eventhought they have said that they need no help.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Matiwas:
The problem is not that there are not enough capable people, but that nobody is really willing to let the stone roll. Honestly, I would also think twice before agreeing, unless I am totally convinced that the team is capable and motivated enough to really pull it off and not to fall apart midway (as it happens way to often).

So, the problem is not skill, but motivation. Assigning to such a project means sacrificing alot of personal freetime. Just look at me, I spent years for such a useless piss poor texture pack for INF, only because I had way to little time to pull it off in a couple of months (which it would take at most if I would have really fully worked on it), so I got lots of respect for those who work fast and effective on a freetime project byside other real life matters. I actually don't think I could do this at the moment, so I just hope others can. That's also a reason why I don't just start such a project by myself.

Oh and speaking about motivation, one of the problems of the Ground Branch project is the fact that they don't have a capable programmer, like Beppo was and Beppo left because he lost motivation big times working on a snail project. Sad story really.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Yes very true Psych. As much as i'd like to see another Inf, i also don't have the time to work on it. My work / real life is also very busy.
Though on the other hand, if i could code i would do it in my free time for sure. Maybe i would go slow but eventually i would have something that could grow with the community.

Maybe Ground Branch should be more of a community project, with other people offering animations/scipts/codes/models etc.. But then the next problem arises, too many cooks in the kitchen is asking for trouble.

I can understand why Beppo doesn't want to undertake another big project, he's done enough in the past. Infiltration missed the Make Something Unreal contests so never earned a dime. Nobody from Sentry made any career progression off of Inf's reputation (afaik).

The other side of the problem is very apparent with GB. No publisher wants these type of realistic shooters, so no advances, no production fees, nothing. If you're producing this type of niche shooters, you're on your own.

Last edited:

Matiwas

Jun 2, 2009
To Psych:
I actually PM:ed them and asked if they needed any (even a little) help for free. They said that they are not looking any help atm.

To Zeep:
I'v read only a little those forums and seems like there would be too many (stupid) cooks in the kitchen... People have discussed about killstreaks
and perks. Imo we wouldn't have that problem among the inf community. :)
I don't get it why publishers dont want "these type" of realistic games...(Inf being the only one :()

I'v thought about e-mailing to some "big heads/companies" about INF and if they were interested in such project(s).
I just don't know who/where should I contact and would it do anything...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Though on the other hand, if i could code i would do it in my free time for sure. Maybe i would go slow but eventually i would have something that could grow with the community.
That's the thing zeep, if I could code, I'd at least experiment and try to realize some of the ideas I have and with time a picture would be set together that would make sense. Programming is really the core, the means of creation for a game. Any other skill set, regardless of how important, is just an addition to complete the picture.
Basically what I mean to say is, it all depends on Beppo, lol.

Maybe Ground Branch should be more of a community project, with other people offering animations/scipts/codes/models etc.. But then the next problem arises, too many cooks in the kitchen is asking for trouble.
The thing is, John decided to go the hardcore way, not letting the project down to a patched together community project, but keeping it all official, at least an independent developer type of thing. Indie devs are quite successful nowadays, but a project like Ground Branch has a little bit more hardcoreness to it, so it means the situation is not very ideal.

I can understand why Beppo doesn't want to undertake another big project, he's done enough in the past. Infiltration missed the Make Something Unreal contests so never earned a dime. Nobody from Sentry made any career progression off of Inf's reputation (afaik).
Shame it didn't pay out for the guys. I know that a realistic tac-sim is Beppo's dream, he'd probably begin production tomorrow if it was a viable option. So I guess the absence of intention isn't the problem, but viability is.

The other side of the problem is very apparent with GB. No publisher wants these type of realistic shooters, so no advances, no production fees, nothing. If you're producing this type of niche shooters, you're on your own.
You have to see the industry as business, than you see clear. It's not that such a game can't be successful, it's that no company wants to risk it, I guess. ArmA works because is has some sort of a monopole with a large loyal community attached to it. Even then, I hear the military training thing (VBS) is what makes BIS' main income, the commercial games are a side-product, that's why ArmA is so f*cked up (still) and it's hardly going to change. ArmA3 is going to be just as much f*cked up, because BIS doesn't care.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
To Psych:I actually PM:ed them and asked if they needed any (even a little) help for free. They said that they are not looking any help atm.
I know there was a moment where they didn't need help, even donations weren't much desired, because the problems were in other areas (mainly finding funding/publisher). Right now, as far as I'm informed, the leak of a good programmer is the main issue that slows down the development process.
And to come back to Beppo's awesomeness (lol), what John needs for this kind of project is not just a coder, but a coder who can see the vision. Beppo could see it, most other programmers John hired couldn't, they needed to many explaining words in order to mentally stray away from the CoD type generic understanding of game design.

To Zeep:
I'v read only a little those forums and seems like there would be too many (stupid) cooks in the kitchen... People have discussed about killstreaks
and perks. Imo we wouldn't have that problem among the inf community. :)
That's it! There aren't many who understand the idea of realism gaming, even among tac-sim players. I bet most of ArmA players would wonder if you said there's something really wrong with it.

I don't get it why publishers dont want "these type" of realistic games...(Inf being the only one :()
Because existence is degenerating... I think. :hmm:

I'v thought about e-mailing to some "big heads/companies" about INF and if they were interested in such project(s).
I just don't know who/where should I contact and would it do anything...
I know, you should never back down from a fight, but I think that is a battle you couldn't win, so do yourself a favor and don't waste your time (with these f*ckheads, lol). Just believe a little bit in superstition and keep hoping.

Last edited:

Matiwas

Jun 2, 2009
I know there was a moment where they didn't need help
I was anwsered about a month ago.. I think that "moment" wasn't then.

That's it! There aren't many who understand the idea of realism gaming, even among tac-sim players. I bet most of ArmA players would wonder if you said there's something really wrong with it.
You have no idea how many... I think thats just because people haven't played or heard about anything like Inf before.

I know, you should never back down from a fight, but I think that is a battle you couldn't win, so do yourself a favor and don't waste your time...
Never.

Zeep, I tried that arma addon, its great! This time you can actually throw grenades from and to buildings. Movement allso improves a lot.

Edit. ARMA2 GOING OFF CHEAP THIS WEEK FROM STEAM. GRAB IT NOW IF YOU WANT TO TRY THE FULL GAME!

Bonus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyd_h5nfXDA Airsoft ftw!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I was anwsered about a month ago.. I think that "moment" wasn't then.
What was your offer, programming? Last I know John found someone to code, so I really don't know what really the problems are with Ground Branch.

"This video is not available in your country.
Sorry about that."

I hate that, I get that constantly. I feel like I'm livin' in some communist terrorist country, always those YouTube *sorry not available in your country's*

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Well if you actually want to buy something off Steam take a look at the payment options. If Paysafecard is one of em (it is for me, but AFAIK not in the USA) have a look at their website. It's not actually a card but a code. I bought a code worth x Euros in a bookstore at a train station. Not that I got around to actually using it in the last months. :lol:

Last edited:

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Hey guys let me know where you play I'm all over arma 2. I used to play on a server called united operations. getting the mods is a pain but it was the best teamplay coop I ever played. VERY realistic.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Hey chuckus, zeep tries to convince me to play ArmA2, I still have to decide whether I can bear the clunkyness. I watch ArmA2 coop sessions on youtube (shacktac for instance) from time to time, it looks just as what I need, I only always begin to dream of how great it would be with INFlike weapon handling and so on.

Meh, give me time guys, I still might drop buy and we'll have some ArmA2 games, maybe.

STELLAR 7

Why the urge to improve yourself?
Nov 17, 2005
What exactly is it about INF that's different for you guys, besides the free-aim and stamina? Is the damage not realistic in these other tactical shooters?
For me, the only gameplay mechanic that sets INF apart is really the stamina system. Most other shooters I've played never have this feature. But they have the other stuff more or less. And I would debate on how realistically the stamina is handled in INF.
Or perhaps, the question isn't really about mechanics or engines. Consider what it was like playing INF up to this point. Team battles in relatively small environments. People you recognized by name. Brief exchanges of gunfire and waiting for the next round. Today, you have these battles on a more massive scale. Everything is more visually appealing. Video games have transcended the culture and are now mainstream. So you probably won't know everyone on the server. Maybe this is what's different.

Take INF how it is now and put it through a graphical overhaul. It's going to be a better looking INF, but nothing else. Start adding stuff, and slowly it won't be INF anymore. Not to wax philosophical, but Man will never be satisfied by stagnation.