PC Gaming and Piracy: Examined

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I read through the whole PDF and was saddened it didn't answer many of my questions. As for the PC bit, most people that say yes, they play games are in fact playing games such as Bejeweled, the farming game on Facebook, etc. While there is certainly money being made (by popcap and through advertising), this isn't actually holding up the games industry as we are discussing in this thread, which is mostly regarding more "hardcore" games and in general these types of games aren't selling very well on the PC.

Regarding Wii, the units being sold are Wii Play, Wii fit, Wii sports plus (or whatever it's called) and a handful of nintendo branded games. I'm not saying these aren't good games (they're fun and nintendo makes awesome games), but hardly indicative of the continued existence of the games we as gamers want to keep playing.

~Jason
So true.

There are good games on Wii, but so many gimmicky games.... eugh.

And the PC is losing the hardcore crowd. That PDF didn't even touch on that.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
So true.

There are good games on Wii, but so many gimmicky games.... eugh.

And the PC is losing the hardcore crowd. That PDF didn't even touch on that.

Keeping a PC up to date is very expensive, and publishers insist on letting games out before they are ready.

That's a problem that keyboard and mouse and better graphics cannot change.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Keeping a PC up to date is very expensive, and publishers insist on letting games out before they are ready.
Especially since every game dev and their grannies try to outdo each other with the prettiest eye candy

I wouldn't mind nor care if a new game took 5 years to make as long as the code was 80-90% solid and the graphics were 2-3 years out of date

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
which comes back to the waiting before buying thing.

I bough Prey about 6 days ago, for 5 bucks (new), and I am really enjoying it, much more so than I ever enjoyed Portal.
Yeah it's that old Tech 4 but it's a smooth, near flawless experience.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

That's a problem that keyboard and mouse and better graphics cannot change.

I have to argue a little bit with that. I put together a gaming PC 3 years ago of an 8800GTS 320MB + e6550 etc. for $800 (including software) and it was STILL able to handle games pretty darned well when I upgraded (donated old mobo/cpu/gpu to friend/fellow poor grad student so he can game with me) and my upgrade cost me $600 (because I kept my other bits and kept it cheap). Granted your average consumer isn't putting together their PC which will hike up the price but you can game pretty well for pretty cheap for a LONG TIME (hell, the 8800GT (slightly more powerful than GTS) is still the recommended card for a ton of games). I would estimate I could have squeezed another 1.5-2 years out of that baby if I were willing to turn down effects a bit more.

Yeah, crappy ports are crappy, but I don't think that PCs are nearly as costly as 1) they used to be or 2) people make them out to be.

~Jason

Kyllian

Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I picked up Prey during some 2day sale a site had. It'd been sitting on my desk collecting dust until the few days between BC2 beta shutting down and retail firing up
Damn that's a fun one. Some of the weapons felt about useless but that didn't stop the fun.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
yeah, it's about 100 percent cheaper than it used to be to get relative power in a new PC, but you are talking to somebody who's Motherboard couldn't handle any better processor and whose component manufacturers stopped making new drivers.

Which basically equals a new PC (yeah, I'm a skewed perspective, but I'm all I've got)
On the plus side I'm rocking games like they were made 5 years ago, and I'm not just talking about Prey... that might have something to do with 80 percent of them being glorified console ports, but whatever.

I picked up Prey during some 2day sale a site had. It'd been sitting on my desk collecting dust until the few days between BC2 beta shutting down and retail firing up
Damn that's a fun one. Some of the weapons felt about useless but that didn't stop the fun.
Some of those weapons have like 25 foot accuracy, lol. I'm thinking that is the point though. others have pinpoint accuracy.
The voice acting is pretty freaking great too. When your guy reacts to the things he sees, it's very convincing.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Studies have shown that there are millions more gaming ready PCs now than there were 10 years ago, yet PC game sales numbers have remained largely the same.... and those studies weren't including GMA. That leads me to believe that either people don't know or care their PCs are gaming ready, or there are a lot more people pirating games now than 10 years ago.

Kyllian

Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Yea, the big nasties you get later on aren't that nasty even
That machinegun/flak combo got left as a last-ditch effort, the pseudo-rocketlauncher as well
The snot launcher wasn't too bad despite it's range
If anything I used the starting rifle the most, Leecher being second(except at the end where I used Leech almost exclusively)

Voice acting was quite good. It didn't sound like a person reading a script, it sounded like a person living the events

I was actually a bit surprised at how quickly I figured out how to fight the final boss
Once I noticed that the weapons weren't harming Sphere it dawned on me that what made Tommy so different from anyone else she encountered was the spirit walking/bow
Hopped to spirit walk, shot a shield with the bow and saw it change color. Hopped out and shot with regular weapons to see it blow away

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I have a solution that makes everyone win. 15-30 trial for all games. Most pirates will get bored of all the games they download by then and developers wouldn't be able to get away with crappy, half-assed games because they wouldn't sell.

People who pirate would instead download games legally and the pirate sites will lose popularity. Developers have 15-30 days to pull their heads out of their asses if they want people to buy their product. DRM isn't necessary.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
No, I'm not serious. There is no real solution. People always have and always will pirate crap. It could be punishable by death and people would still do it.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
When a game seems interesting I-
-Check reviews (or wait for them to be released)
-Read Its wikipedia
-Watch gameplay vids
-Download Demo
-Ask friends opinion
If I am dissatisfied with most of these, I will not bother. If I have to wait for a release date, I will. If for whatever reason I cannot get the game normally, oh well.

~In other words~

Buy your games, dip****s.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I read through the whole PDF and was saddened it didn't answer many of my questions. As for the PC bit, most people that say yes, they play games are in fact playing games such as Bejeweled, the farming game on Facebook, etc. While there is certainly money being made (by popcap and through advertising), this isn't actually holding up the games industry as we are discussing in this thread, which is mostly regarding more "hardcore" games and in general these types of games aren't selling very well on the PC.
Yes ok, but my point is that there are huge gaps, opportunities lost, genres that disappeared or are being filled by consoles, and this matters for fps gamers. You're losing the ones that like action mature gaming, but not hardcore only, the ones that like change of pace and multiple genres.

For example, where are non-hardcore or non-M top PC games? I'm NOT talking about dumbed-down games, just alternatives. If there were, you bet I'd offer fps besides playing them. A parent would play such game with his kid, and later load an higher octane one. Or, where are the 30€ games for the ones that want shooters but don't have much time and consider more expensive a waste? That's like 5 fps game copies sold instead of 2.

More, where's the adventure genre for my ex-gf and sister, in the days where it's common place to have online validation for SP games? You'd be surprised however that she was an fps player, Wolf3D, Doom and Quake. She doesn't complain that some games are violent, but all are. I'm pretty sure that she'd play L4D or so, if there were relaxing adventure games for a change of pace.

It was always easy to remember when me and my friends took turns on the Amiga connected to a tv, lots of nostalgia. That made me forget about Golden Axe on the PC. Except for LANs, there's absolutely no social gaming on a personal computer, but in started on computers (Europe and US mostly), not on consoles. Just because someone doesn't care about casual, it doesn't that should be against it. One more: where's the 30€ sequel of this game? [M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7sW54dEbQY[/M]
Oh yes, it's called Wipeout HD and is a PS3 exclusive. If it was only for it, I'd not buy a console, just ditch PC gaming.

From what I understand these could be the ideal targets for the UDK people, but how can they invest additional time and money if the games can't even reach 15€ on release?

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
Studies have shown that there are millions more gaming ready PCs now than there were 10 years ago, yet PC game sales numbers have remained largely the same.... and those studies weren't including GMA. That leads me to believe that either people don't know or care their PCs are gaming ready, or there are a lot more people pirating games now than 10 years ago.

You can thank MS for making PC's game ready.
Their OS needed it for the eye candy.

Have you noticed that for the past couple of years the maximum CPU needed is a 3.2 Ghz. ( I'm still at 2.53. Not going to upgrade till they come out with a 12Ghz chip )
It's like Intel and Amd are never going to break the 4Ghz barrier. They just keep piling on the cores.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's because Mhz is an increasingly useless measuring stick for processing performance.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
That's because Mhz is an increasingly useless measuring stick for processing performance.

Yep. Everytime a new processor line comes out (C2D, i7, etc.) they show a lower clocked new part outperforming the higher clocked old part. Which is especially nice because procs are freaking hot enough.

~Jason

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008

Yup, but it's pretty interesting how that happened. I wonder why the 2-3 Ghz range became the cap and they started going to multiple cores from there.