Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
On normal difficulty, me and a couple of BuF peeps can take on the campaigns in less than 20 minutes on a good day, so get to practicing ilky :) So to hear that Crash Course is 30 minutes on a normal level.... yeah it's not pretty. But it will still be fun.

Yeah, gotta keep practicing! I've mostly been playing single player off and on to get the 50k achievement. Almost there!

If I played online with a group of really good guys I'm sure I can run through in 20 minutes too.

Anyhoo, PC achievement numbers went up to 68.

One achievement is obvious. You get it when you finish the campaign.

Another is not so obvious but is really easy. Restart the generator within 30 seconds of it failing.

All the rest I'm sure are for Versus and survival, which I don't play much of.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Campaign was ok, we beat it in 27 minutes during one game, and that was screwing around.

Achievements are bugged to hell. They reset upon restarting the game, but they still show up correctly in your profile.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS

Yet another reason why Bill is the awesome.

The list

1. He was in 'nam
2. He keeps his cigarette in his mouth at all times, even when a tank love taps him.
3. He will see piece back on earth if he has to murder everyone of those bastards with his bare goddamn hands.
4. His beard is a living organism
5. The above comic

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I've been playing survival a bit lately and I am wondering, is it possible to get anything better than bronze without exploiting? In some cases even bronze is hard!

By exploiting I mean hiding in graphical glitches, accessing places not meant to be accessed, or tricking the AI somehow.

I'm trying to find some strategies.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I've been playing survival a bit lately and I am wondering, is it possible to get anything better than bronze without exploiting? In some cases even bronze is hard!

By exploiting I mean hiding in graphical glitches, accessing places not meant to be accessed, or tricking the AI somehow.

I'm trying to find some strategies.

Yeah it is completely possible. On some maps it requires a bit of luck, but on most it just requires a decent spot and good team work.

What map gives you the most trouble?

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Well right now I wouldn't say it's a particular map in as much as its the game mechanics.

For example that cool down on the melee, and that aoe knockback when the hunter pounces. When there are two hunters around its hard. One hunter will pounce, I get thrown back and the other hunter will then hit me, and I have no control to stop it since I'm 'stunned'.

I understand the melee cooldown for versus, but why survival? There are so many infected and special infected that its stupid to camp corners with unlimited melee anyways. So there is no need for it.

The escalation in difficulty really makes it maddening. I don't think bronze should be excruciatingly horrific. That should be reserved for gold.

It's things like that.

Anyhoo, I'll throw a map out there. The one I've tried the most is the one in the sewers where there is that special event that lowers the gate/bridge so you can cross to the other side. I forgot the name of the campaign. I'll look it up. It's a big wide open room. Smokers come from the far side and hit you from across the room and hunters have this big room to hit you from almost anywhere. The only saving grace is it seems tanks can get stuck in certain places and boomers are infrequent. But if a tank does get free there isn't much room to run around in.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm gonna assume you're not trying these with AI team mates? That may very well be impossible. I got gold on all of them with mostly BuFers.

We found a real nice spot on the map you described. On the platform opposite the side of the bridge that has the switch that starts the event is a small railed area next to a ladder. Backing in to the railed area will prevent you from being pulled off, but you still want to be ready to knock someone free at a moments notice. Cover the pipe in front of you, the ladder to your left, and the bridge/ladder to your right. You're also right there next to all the projectiles.

Again, a bit of luck is required because I've played that one and gone as long as 14 minutes or so and other times we're down in 6 minutes.

I got silver once on that map with AI team mates just hiding right on top of the ammo stash.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I guess I'll wait for the 50% off mark on December 26th. Like they did and I missed last year, if it ever happen again.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Just tried some survival on the Crash Course levels. They really don't give you much to work with. There is even a stack of pallets in the truck yard that is locked down and can't move. C'mon! pallets? Pieces of wood?

If they're going to lock you into no strategy except standing in the open, or backing into a corner and getting pounded by a tank, then I think they should at least tone down how fast the number of special infected escalates.

I think it all revolves around the tank. If you can find a place the tank can't get to or a place that causes the tank AI to flip out, then you'll survive. If not, then he'll come in and pound on you distracting you while the rest of the special infected and regulars do all the killing.

Last edited: