Official BeyondUnreal Photography Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
The F/Stop is the speed the shutter is. For the "flowing" look in water photos, you don't want your shutter speed to be 1/1000. You would want to make it 1/4 or somewhere around there. Some people make it alittle slower, while others will do a whole 60 seconds of an open shutter.

Do it in Manual mode. You can set the aperature to what you want, so you can still have a nice, even exposure. (Assuming you can with your D40. I have a Canon 30D, so I wouldn't know how your Nikon works.)

The ND Filter is a Neutral Density filter. It's used alot for landscape photographs. It's a half shaded filter so when you take photos that include the ground and the sky, the shaded part goes where the sky will be in your photo. This helps the over all exposure in your photo, by dimming the sky, so it's not too bright when you view it on your PC.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Ah the fun 1 can have with a good camera. I have sony MVC-CD250, when I bought it when it was new it was far from the photographic abomination it is now. Though I just bought (about 4 months ago) a old Minolta Maxxum 7000 for $10 at a flea market after a few repairs to it's electrical system it seems to be in perfect working order.

I had a digital photo class in college but that didn't really go into practicle photography just stuff like what pixels are and file formats... all stuff I already knew.

So now I am trying to teach myself photography. I hope to use that old 35mm Minolta because even then it should be better then my 3 megapixel all auto-controlled digital.

Long story short that info has helped out 1 more photo newb Juggalo.

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
Israphel, those pics are superb, they are like poster material :tup:

Quick question: If I want to take a long exposure shot of a waterfall to get the cotton like effect, how do I avoid over exposing?

Set the camera to ISO 200. Put the camera in "Shutter Priority" (S) mode.
Pick a slow shutter speed like 1 to 2 seconds and let the camera choose the
aperture (F/Stop). Use a tripod.

If it over exposes try messing with the Exposure Compensation setting.

If that doesn't work get a Neutral Density filter.

If the sky is bright and the ground/water is darker get a Graduated Neutral Density filter.

D40.jpg

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
The F/Stop is the speed the shutter is. For the "flowing" look in water photos, you don't want your shutter speed to be 1/1000. You would want to make it 1/4 or somewhere around there. Some people make it alittle slower, while others will do a whole 60 seconds of an open shutter.

Do it in Manual mode. You can set the aperature to what you want, so you can still have a nice, even exposure. (Assuming you can with your D40. I have a Canon 30D, so I wouldn't know how your Nikon works.)

The ND Filter is a Neutral Density filter. It's used alot for landscape photographs. It's a half shaded filter so when you take photos that include the ground and the sky, the shaded part goes where the sky will be in your photo. This helps the over all exposure in your photo, by dimming the sky, so it's not too bright when you view it on your PC.

Set the camera to ISO 200. Put the camera in "Shutter Priority" (S) mode.
Pick a slow shutter speed like 1 to 2 seconds and let the camera choose the
aperture (F/Stop). Use a tripod.

If it over exposes try messing with the Exposure Compensation setting.

If that doesn't work get a Neutral Density filter.

If the sky is bright and the ground/water is darker get a Graduated Neutral Density filter.

D40.jpg

I guess Ill try it on manual and on shutter priority to see which one fetches a better result. Those filters sound really helpful but Im pretty broke at the moment so Ill have to do with stock for now. Thanks a lot for the elaboration guys I really appreciate it. Ill probably display my results here whenever I get the time to mess around :)

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I cant go below 200 on my D40 and I honestly dont know what the other two mean :) Increasing the aperture will help right?

ISO of 200 will work even on a very sunny day. By increasing F stop / aperture I mean making your aperture blades smaller thus letting in less light and more depth of field. F11 - 22 works great for landscapes. Higher Fstops allow for slower shutter speeds. Personally I don't like to go beyond F11 due to the nature of lens diffraction. (Makes your images very soft the higher you go)

You're thinking of a polarizer. A polorizer has light reducing properties but its not quite what I had in mind. ND filter just makes everything darker by reducing the amount of light that passes through it. I recently acquired a studio ring flash and found that even on the lowest flash settings it was too damn bright! I had to stack a 8x and a 4x ND filter just so I could use F2.8 for portraits. Thats a 5 stop reduction of light! A very dark version of an ND filter can be found on a welding helmet.

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal
Thanks all for the comments, glad you like the shots

I would ask if you have them in their original (or at least a much larger) size to use as desktop images and a screensaver but you probably think I'll just try and sell them somewhere.

It's nice of you to ask, and I'm glad you like them, but about a year ago I stopped doing that because I was starting to make money through licensing and print sales, and I couldn't justify giving away my images to anyone who asked.
I know it makes me sound like an ass, and it's not that I don't trust you (besides, it's hard enough to make money from the full res image, let alone a 1600 pixel wide 72dpi version for wallpaper) it's just a point of principle. I don't give my images away anymore.
Sorry it that makes me come across like a jerk, but thanks again for the comments.

sid said:
If I want to take a long exposure shot of a waterfall to get the cotton like effect, how do I avoid over exposing?

Looks like you've got plenty of good advice here, but try to think of it like this:
Light is like water, and you need to control the quantity of light you're letting onto your sensor.
You do this with your aperture and your shutter time (lets forget ISO for the moment, keep it at the lowest setting).

Now, imagine a funnel and a cup of water. If you pour that water into a funnel with a really narrow neck, it's going to take a while to pass through. If you pour the same quantity of water through a funnel with a really wide neck, then it's going to pass through really quickly.
Well, the aperture is the same as the size of the neck of the funnel. Close it down really small (f22 for example) and the light will take longer to pass through...so you'll need a longer shutter time to blur movement.

How long you need depends on how much light there is at the scene, but a good time for waterfalls is around half a second to a second. If you can't get that sort of time with the smallest aperture, you can either look into the neutral density filters that a few people have linked to above, or you can simply shoot when light levels are lower. Try doing the shot at dusk, when there's no direct light on the scene, but there's still enough light in the sky to bring the colours out (a few moments after sunset is good for this).

007 said:
You're thinking of a polarizer. A polorizer has light reducing properties but its not quite what I had in mind. ND filter just makes everything darker by reducing the amount of light that passes through it
Actually, no he's right. He is describing an ND filter, he's just talking about referring to an ND graduated filter, which is only dark across half of it's surface. A polarizer is a completely different kind of thing...although fully polarized it will still cut out around 2 stops of light...which make it useful for longer exposures (if you don't mind the side effects it has on reflections and colour saturation).

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Actually, no he's right. He is describing an ND filter, he's just talking about referring to an ND graduated filter, which is only dark across half of it's surface. A polarizer is a completely different kind of thing...although fully polarized it will still cut out around 2 stops of light...which make it useful for longer exposures (if you don't mind the side effects it has on reflections and colour saturation).

Nice, I've never heard of a graduated ND filter before. I've only got two filters in my arsenal. They can be very spendy SOB's.

Rask

Aug 15, 2004
Finland
www.rdegree.net
Playing around with my new camera:

[screenshot]http://www.rdegree.net/images/blogpostimages/Watchlady_01_JPGdA.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://www.rdegree.net/images/blogpostimages/Hotel_01_JPGdA.jpg[/screenshot]

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
As previously mentioned I obtained a ring flash to play with. The damn thing is too powerful and the ring is too small to get the exact effect that I'm looking for. Fun was had even though I was greatly disappointed with the unit. I wont be using the ring flash again until I get moon unit with a larger ring so I don't have to use my wide angle any more. It's just so unflattering.

Why Elly again? She lives a block away from me. We do experimental lighting tests often. Fun for me, free photos for her. All but one shot a ring flash was used. The last one I used natural light.

Elly__MG_5693.jpg

Elly__MG_5618.jpg

Elly__MG_5681.jpg

Elly__MG_5689.jpg

Elly__MG_5628.jpg

Elly__MG_5724.jpg

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
Looks like you've got plenty of good advice here, but try to think of it like this:
Light is like water, and you need to control the quantity of light you're letting onto your sensor.
You do this with your aperture and your shutter time (lets forget ISO for the moment, keep it at the lowest setting).

Now, imagine a funnel and a cup of water. If you pour that water into a funnel with a really narrow neck, it's going to take a while to pass through. If you pour the same quantity of water through a funnel with a really wide neck, then it's going to pass through really quickly.
Well, the aperture is the same as the size of the neck of the funnel. Close it down really small (f22 for example) and the light will take longer to pass through...so you'll need a longer shutter time to blur movement.

How long you need depends on how much light there is at the scene, but a good time for waterfalls is around half a second to a second. If you can't get that sort of time with the smallest aperture, you can either look into the neutral density filters that a few people have linked to above, or you can simply shoot when light levels are lower. Try doing the shot at dusk, when there's no direct light on the scene, but there's still enough light in the sky to bring the colours out (a few moments after sunset is good for this).

Thats a pretty brilliant way of putting it, thanks :) I tried messing around the same way you put it, got some interesting results nothing worth showing but it helped me understand how light and dark go hand in hand better. Thanks once again :)

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
This thread rocks. I am learning so much from this one thread.

Here is a shot I took the other day. Here's the smaller version but will greatly appreciate feedback on the larger version.

[screenshot]http://www.acliffhanger.com/photos/viewtiful_preview.jpg[/screenshot]